Menu

New here and just curious

I'm turning 34 this week, married with 3 kids. I converted to Catholicism in 2009 and am quite orthodox but I am not homeschooling for religious reasons. It is a nice perk to be able to have it as part of our daily life and included across the board from meal times, school times, bed times and all times in between.

We just finished our first year homeschooling and I know it is the right choice for my children right now. I plan on evaluating year by year to see what is the best educational venue for my kids. I am not absolute about homeschooling the way so many others are. :)

I decided to SAHM after working in daycare through college and decided to HS after completing my student teaching...with nails-in-the-coffin after some experience tutoring and working with children/youth in the community we lived in when our oldest was Kindy age.

I read TWTM, Montessori and Charlotte Mason (and several others) and could not NOT give my children the very best education I can give.

I am totally digging the diversity. I think I may have found the right place. I hadn't planned on actually hs'ing DD this early but she's showing all signs that she's ready to go. I figured I would have a year or so to plan things out and even though I say we're starting this fall, its pretty much already started. I like how reading is happening in the way that she learned to walk: As a natural progression of her development. I think thats what draws me most to homeschool.

When I was hs'ed we had a very rigid curriculum (I don't even remember which one now, it was that impressive :001_rolleyes:) that was strictly based in a fundamentalist Christian theology. While it got me through and I went on to college and beyond I'm liking the idea of picking and choosing from a buffet of ideas and giving the Bird a more rounded education. Everyone here is pretty darned awesome. Glad I found you!

I know you'll find plenty of enablers here for your new curric-junkie habit. :D Enjoy those preschool years and keep the phrase "natural progresson of her development" in mind as you go...it'll come in handy.