Menu

New here and just curious

I just found this blog/forum a few weeks ago and I'm still getting a feel for the community. I was curious about the demographic. I'm a grad student in my 20s. I'm a SAHM for the most part with one DD on the ground who I'm getting ready to HS and a DS on the way this winter. My brother and I were HS'ed for religious/social reasons. I'm HS'ing because I think I can do a better job educating my children than can a poorly paid government employee. Anyone want to chime in and tell me a little about their lives and families?

I have a 3 year old and a 9 month old. I ended up here because I was researching homeschooling and stayed.

I plan to homeschool because I want to, I like the idea of being able to to tailor to my children's abilities and interests, and because my husband has worked a non traditional schedule for many years so this should allow more family time.

I won't be actually homeschooling for a year or two. Right now we like to spend an hour or two a day with me reading aloud, he plays, we do a lot of messy sensory stuff, and when it's nice we try to be outside. DD is along for the ride.

There are a lot of parents here who homeschool, but some are afterschoolers who utilize a public or private school for their children.

I think you'll find a huge range of ages, regions, philosophies, and life experiences represented here!! :)

As for me, I'm in my mid 30's with a 9 year old son. DS went to public school for a few years, but we just kept feeling a pull to homeschool, and we knew we could give him a more personalized education and add more time back into our lives!

Hey Marychance! Welcome and BTW, I love your pic. I've been think it for a couple of days. :)

We have homeschooled from the beginning and intend to homeschool to the end. We do it for a number of reasons, but the main one is, obviously, it works for us.:001_smile: I might come back later and expound, but since it's Saturday. . .OOPs! Sunday morning, I can't trust myself to explain it coherently.

But Welcome!

Don't be scared off by some of the other threads BTW. We love a good debate here.

Blessings!

Dorinda

Hey there! I'm a 27yo undergrad (history major). My kids are six and under and keep me busy, busy, busy! I usually read a lot more than I post here. We homeschooled k for my oldest last year, which doesn't really feel like really homeschooling... We do it mostly for academic reasons. I'm a control freak, apparently. ;) The schedule, family dynamic and social perks are just bonuses.

I just found this blog/forum a few weeks ago and I'm still getting a feel for the community. I was curious about the demographic. I'm a grad student in my 20s. I'm a SAHM for the most part with one DD on the ground who I'm getting ready to HS and a DS on the way this winter. My brother and I were HS'ed for religious/social reasons. I'm HS'ing because I think I can do a better job educating my children than can a poorly paid government employee. Anyone want to chime in and tell me a little about their lives and families?
I am 36. I have a 10 year old DD and 5 year old DS. I helped raise one niece (21) and two nephews (17 living with his dad and in High School, 19 Marine). I took correspondence courses from IU instead of attending High School for various reasons. I am a SAHM who is regaining confidence by returning to writing in a genre I love. I homeschool because I can't stand the thought of my kids being away from me most of the time. DD and I are in Girl Scouts and I think she gets a lot of the positive school experience this way.

Hello! I am a
;) Sorry- its one of those nights ;)

lol the Bird loves

If she hears the English version she complains that they're singing it wrong. DD does not speak German however DH and DSD are both fluent. I spend my time butchering their beloved tongue whenever possible in an attempt to learn it.

Welcome! I am the coolest member here, stick with me and you will learn the fun side of banning in no time.

I am a mid30s YIKES single momma of 4, and we are entering our 7th yr of homeschooling this fall. The kids up and coming grades are in my sig. As of Thursday I will have 2 teenagers, and when not on the boards or FB stirring up trouble, or when not teaching the kids, I am running my home daycare, running a scout group, driving the kids all over the place for extra currics and volunteering. Basically I am very very busy and turn to the hive here to let my hair down a bit.

I am sure you will have a great experience with us.

I'm a duck, but not just any duck, I'm Mommaduck ;) We have a nest full and have been homeschooling for longer than my memory allows (more than ten and less than twenty). I'm a TCK and currently live around buggies with runner lights. We're Orthodox and homeschool for a variety of reasons.

Welcome! I am the coolest member here, stick with me and you will learn the fun side of banning in no time.

She is not. Don't listen to a single thing she says, unless it is good things about me. :D

As for demographics, as this board I think you'll find a little bit of everything. We've got all ages represented, both in moms (and dads!) and children. We've got a range of religions, and not-religious. People who school for academic reasons, family reasons, health reasons, religious reasons.... and we LOVE a debate.

As for me. I'm a single mom, homeschooling a 6.5 year old whackadoo. (It's been a week... :glare: :lol:) We are secular and use a combination of things, but our focus is in a sort of global education- a lot of language, geography, history, and cultural studies.

I'm a full time college student, history major, and hopefully this time next year will be getting ready to start grad school. :D About to take the GREs and gathering application materials, so excuse me while I go a little crazy. (Okay, who am I kidding. I was already a little crazy. It's why I fit in here.)

Have fun!

I'm a SAHM LDS mom with five children ages 18-12. My oldest was homeschooled from birth to graduation. My next two were homeschooled from K-8 and are currently attending a "real live highschool". My last two are currently at home with me. They will finish up 8th-grade this coming year. One plans to continue homeschooling while the other would like to attend school with her sister and brother.

Welcome! I'm fairly new here as well. We started homeschooling last year because my daughter's educational needs can't be accommodated in a PS setting, tried HS and she's flourishing. I've been in college for far too long to not have a real degree in anything, maybe one day I'll grow up, ha.

I am 37 and have a 2 yo dd and have been married for 17 1/2 years. I worked as an engineer for more than 10 years before having dd. We are planning to homeschool all the way through. Dh had a really bad time in public school and I didn't learn as much as I would have liked. We will be able to give her a much better education than the public schools could. We are conservative Christians and want to be the main influence on dd growing up. I have read the Well Trained Mind and like the Classical philosophy for education.

Welcome and good luck on your homeschooling journey!

Mary, the demographic is worldwide, every single type you could imagine is here and every kind of reason.

The vocalizing of the board probably isn't a true representation of what is genuinely present.

:iagree: The one thing I love about this place is that it's very hard to stump the Hive. I believe that with so many people who represent so many experiences, there will be at least one answer for every question one can think up.

But I'm Beth and I have 3 teenagers. We've homeschooled for 11 years. I graduated one, the next is a Junior, and the youngest is starting public high school next month.

I'm old enough to be the mother of many people here (including you) but I'm on my first time through homeschooling (and mothering).

I appreciate how frank people are here. E.g. I've never examined religion with a personal eye (i.e. I've never looked into it with an eye to becoming a religious person). I think I have learned a lot about why a person might be religious, but I have also learned I couldn't stomach some of the basic tenets of the most prevalent religion here.

I also love the humor. From the user names (keep an eye out for posters whose online voice is polar opposite from his/her user name!), to thread tags, to the kilts.

I genuinely appreciate other points of view on sticky issues. I don't have very many of them, but it is very good, I think, to get input from people who have no personal interest in the particulars of your life.

I like the courage I see here. There are some people with real burdens who keep on keeping on.

However, it can be an expensive habit. Amazon must love this place, because I end up reading so much mentioned here....

Mary, the demographic is worldwide, every single type you could imagine is here and every kind of reason.

The vocalizing of the board probably isn't a true representation of what is genuinely present.

:iagree: Hello! I'm a librarian in ruralish NorCal and I've been homeschooling my two girls for, gosh, 7 years now. (How did that happen?) Um, let's see...I'm a true-blue WTM fan, LDS in faith, and homeschool because I read the WTM 10 years ago and got hooked. It's been wonderful for us. I also work a few hours a week at the local CC library.

The religious aspect of homeschooling has been the hardest for me. I was raised in a Quaker family, thats why my brother and I were homeschooled. I still walk in my faith but DH is a devout Catholic. Talk about differing viewpoints! For now the simpler the better for the kiddos. Who knows what they'll grow up to be. And also, kilts? I've seen the phrase "get out the kilts" and had a wth? moment. DH is a german speaking Irishman :confused: so kilts maybe have a different meaning in our house.

I've seen the phrase "get out the kilts" and had a wth? moment. DH is a german speaking Irishman :confused: so kilts maybe have a different meaning in our house.

Same kilts. Pictures of males in kilts = defuse a debate that's getting too hot. Or, just for fun.

Dh and I have been homeschooling for 14 years. Our dd is 21, half-way through a chemistry degree and is a full-time paramedic at present while she earns money to go back to school debt free. She was homeschooled 1-4th grades, and 7th-12th.

We still have three boys at home ages 12-15.5. The 15 year old attended kindergarten at a private school and has been homeschooled since then and the other two never attended a brick and mortar institution.

Demographics - We are what I would call "centrist" Christians. Very welcoming of everyone with fairly conservative fiscal and moral views that we don't believe we should be shoving down everyone else's throats...very libertarian in that regard.

We homeschool primarily for academics, followed by social/cultural views...as one principal at our middle school put it, "It's like 'Lord of the Flies' in here!" So, not a good environment.

We are neo-classical homeschoolers. We follow the ideas of the trivium and the emphasis on chronological history and the Great Books tradition, as well as studying Latin though certainly not to the level that SWB and others have studied it with their children, but a MUCH heavier emphasis in mathematics and science.

Faithmanor - normally goes by Faith for short

I find the demographic here pretty interesting, actually.

I'm a guy :tongue_smilie: and I have three young kids, who I stay home with and homeschool. This will be our third official year of homeschooling, as my oldest will start 2nd grade. I'll also have a 1st grader and my last kindergartener. We homeschool for family and academic reasons.

I find the demographic here pretty interesting, actually.

I'm a guy :tongue_smilie: and I have three young kids, who I stay home with and homeschool. This will be our third official year of homeschooling, as my oldest will start 2nd grade. I'll also have a 1st grader and my last kindergartener. We homeschool for family and academic reasons.

I am so glad to see a dad!!

I am so glad to see a dad!!

Acablue has company with Father of Pearl (whom we don't see often, but when we do, always has a nugget of wisdom to add), SpyCar, Tntgoodwin, Reguheert (whom we haven't seen in a while but is probably still lurking and VERY busy), and others who my brain is struggling to remember because I need MORE COFFEE!!!!

Faith

Same kilts. Pictures of males in kilts = defuse a debate that's getting too hot. Or, just for fun.

Ah. I had a professor who would refer to hot topics as kilt topics to dissuade us from getting on our soap boxes. The way he explained it was a kilt is long enough to cover the subject and short enough to keep it interesting. I thought maybe it was the same thing.

Ah. I had a professor who would refer to hot topics as kilt topics to dissuade us from getting on our soap boxes. The way he explained it was a kilt is long enough to cover the subject and short enough to keep it interesting. I thought maybe it was the same thing.

I'm afraid it has more to do with raw lust on our part.

Hi! I just crossed 40...oh how I hate saying that! I homeschool my 4 kids plus a friend's son. We homeschool first because we realized we could not afford private school for 4 kids and because the public schools in my area are not very good- we can do a better job at home. The social aspect plays into it also, the only school I would consider is a performing arts charter school (high school) near us - we would consider it because the kids have to be motivated to be there, have a pretty high GPA and can be kicked out. My dd decided not to do it because she didn't want to give up all the great things she does in her free time. I was relieved because I didn't like the idea of her being gone and being socialized by other teens from 7 a.m. to 5 p.m.

I homeschool my bonus student because he has a few learning disorders and by the end of 2nd grade, he could not read, despite the extra pull-out help and services he was supposed to be getting. I only offered because I figured that I couldn't mess up more than the school did. He is starting 7th grade and reads at about a 5th grade reading level now.

Edited by Hen Jen
spelling

Welcome! My dh and I have been married 22 years this fall. I have a Masters of Social Work degree. We have a son with autism. We had been thinking of homeschooling just prior to our son being diagnosed. Touring the special Ed placement tipped the scales for us and we have never looked back.

Welcome! I am a homeschooler at heart, but about to put my kiddos into the local Christian School this fall. While I did not come to this decision easily, I know it is best for my family right now and I have hopes that I may be a homeschooling mama again some day.

Dh and I started out homeschooling due to religious reasons, but now I just really love the homeschooling lifestyle. Unfortunately, I have to work, but am praying that some things with dh's job take a positive turn (as we are expecting) and I can bring the kids back home with me soon.

Even though I won't be homeschooling, I still plan to stick around here. This place is addicting! :)

I'm 31 (barely hanging on by 5 days). I have 2 daughters aged 7 and 9. This will be our first year homeschooling. We are Christian... albeit the strange socially liberal kind.

We chose to homeschool because our local public school system sucks, my children deserve better, I am capable of teaching them, and I like the idea of a custom education plan. Also, I'm a control freak. ;)

Welcome! :seeya:

I'm 26, LDS, and mom of three, almost 4! We decided to homeschool to offer our kids the best possible education. We don't have any religious reasons for our choice and have good schools in our area. I just love my kids, and know I can do a better job with their education than someone with 30 kids to keep track of. And I want them at home learning behavior from me, and not those 29 other kids! I find it really odd that the word "homeschool" comes up as a typo on the message boards. Welcome!

I'm 32, we have six children ages 11 to 9 mo. My oldest attends a private school for middle school, I have two other sons in private school who are going into 5th grade and kindergarten. I homeschool my 2nd grade son, and I am planning on homeschooling my daughters, who are 2yo and 9 months. I am also afterschooling the kiddos who are in school.

I am a former teacher, I have been a SAHM for the last 4 years. We started homeschooling after we moved to an area where the public schools were failing and the private schools were too expensive. Now that we have moved again, the private schools are less expensive, and so we gave our boys a choice. I would like to homeschool my daughters all the way through.

I'm very thankful to have discovered TWTM, as the only instruction I recieved in college was definately part of the "progressive" movement in education. I'm not bashing those who call themselves "progressives," just the modern movement in education. When I was a teacher, the private school I taught in switched from a phonics curriculum and language arts program that resembled the "whole language" approach to a program that included intensive, traditional phonics instruction. The results within our school were amazing, and so that is how I entered the world of "classical education." Needless to say, I'm a true believer :). I'm now quite appalled that my own college instruction included little to no actual phonics.

Edited by VeritasMama

I am totally digging the diversity. I think I may have found the right place. I hadn't planned on actually hs'ing DD this early but she's showing all signs that she's ready to go. I figured I would have a year or so to plan things out and even though I say we're starting this fall, its pretty much already started. I like how reading is happening in the way that she learned to walk: As a natural progression of her development. I think thats what draws me most to homeschool.

When I was hs'ed we had a very rigid curriculum (I don't even remember which one now, it was that impressive :001_rolleyes:) that was strictly based in a fundamentalist Christian theology. While it got me through and I went on to college and beyond I'm liking the idea of picking and choosing from a buffet of ideas and giving the Bird a more rounded education. Everyone here is pretty darned awesome. Glad I found you!

I am a SAHM to three young girls and I keep a blog detailing our adventures homeschooling at TeachingStars.com

My husband and I were very discouraged after looking into the local public schools and we were not able to afford the private alternatives. We warily began looking into homeschooling but I had this weird misconception about it in my head that I had to overcome before I truly embraced it.

Now I have a hard time understanding why anyone wouldn't want to educate their own children if given the opportunity.

We're secular in our approach here and heavy on science. That being said, I find the people in this forum open and friendly. I post on a few other boards but this one is my favorite and the one I follow the most regularly.

Frequent posters rapidly come to feel like old friends.

Ah. I had a professor who would refer to hot topics as kilt topics to dissuade us from getting on our soap boxes. The way he explained it was a kilt is long enough to cover the subject and short enough to keep it interesting.

That. Is. Awesome.

I'm afraid it has more to do with raw lust on our part.

Heh heh....this too, actually.