Menu

DD diagnosed CAPD - suggestions?

My daughter (almost 9) was recently diagnosed with Central Auditory Processing Disorder. Therapy with a speech-language pathologist who specializes in CAPD was recommended. We attended her first session last Monday and were told to purchase or try to make at home a board game called A Fist Full of Coins. She played it in the session, and I can see its usefulness. We will only be able to do six therapy sessions, and then my husband's new insurance policy will go into effect, and it will not cover the therapy. The SLP is aware of this and is going to do her best to "train" me to take over dd's therapy at home.

I'm wondering if any of you can recommend resources you've used with your kids who have CAPD.

Thanks!

Shannon, auditory processing is a complex process, where their can be a range of different difficulties.

So it is important to recognize what specific auditory processing difficulty/ies your daughter has?

So that you can look for resources about the specific difficulty/ies.

Where this would also help you to identify what sort of therapies would or wouldn't be helpful.

Ask your SLP about the Hear Builders programs and which of them would be appropriate for your child. Earobics is another at home option, but my SLP prefers Hear Builders because she says it doesn't seem to "go on forever" and the kids don't get sick of it! We are just getting started with them at home here, so I can't tell you what I think of them, but my SLP loves them.

:grouphug:

Shannon, auditory processing is a complex process, where their can be a range of different difficulties.

So it is important to recognize what specific auditory processing difficulty/ies your daughter has?

So that you can look for resources about the specific difficulty/ies.

Where this would also help you to identify what sort of therapies would or wouldn't be helpful.

We were given recommendations to have dd listen to audiobooks everyday and engage in musical activities, as well as play auditory memory games like Simon or Bop-It. The recommendations were very specific to the type of auditory processing difficulty dd was diagnosed with. Since she never had problems with speech or language development, they may not target the areas your dd needs help with but I think they may be generally effective in helping to develop the auditory system.