Menu

has anybody done the fantasy and scifi course through coursera before?

There was just a lot of talk in one of the getting started videos relating one of Aesop's fables to the story of the Garden of Eden. Then he referred back to that again several times in one of the other getting started videos. He also brought up the rising of Lazarus. I was wondering if it was going to be a recurring topic or just occasional.

There was just a lot of talk in one of the getting started videos relating one of Aesop's fables to the story of the Garden of Eden. Then he referred back to that again several times in one of the other getting started videos. He also brought up the rising of Lazarus. I was wondering if it was going to be a recurring topic or just occasional.

Well, the bible and it's allegories are used within lots of literature. I'm thinking you might have a hard time erasing that part.

Found this on RateMyProfessor.com

Very smart guy and I highly encourage office hours. His lectures go off in EVERY direction, but most end up at religous readings. since his knowledge of Catholicism and the bible clearly affects how he reads things. The papers are manageable once you figure out the grading system, but the reading load is too heavy.

Several other comments along the same vein.... Not sure I'm as excited about the class now either. (I signed up, not my kids.)

--Janet

The same professor does the Teaching Company's course on fantasy literature, and here is a snippet from one review of that course:

His focus on Freudian or religious interpretations in every piece of material became very annoying. I'd really like to know how on Earth Christian symbolism is present in Oedipus Rex.

Jackie

The same professor does the Teaching Company's course on fantasy literature, and here is a snippet from one review of that course:

"His focus on Freudian or religious interpretations in every piece of material became very annoying. I'd really like to know how on Earth Christian symbolism is present in Oedipus Rex. "

Jackie

Just my thought ... Aesop probably wasn't thumbing through his Hebrew Bible for inspiration :) ...

I dropped this morning because I signed on only to have access to the videos myself and so I could see what the course was like.

My 16yo submitted her essay this morning. She was really hoping to have a specific paper topic assigned. She's going to stick with it for several weeks to see if it's worth her time. She had already read about half of the assigned readings before ever hearing about Coursera, so she doesn't have much to read.