Menu

Tell me about the summer camp your kids attend

I am really interested in hearing more about summer camps. If your kids go to camp in the summer, could you tell a bit about what kind of camp it is, for how long, for what ages and anything else you find special or interesting about it. I would love to hear more because I think it is something we might do for our sons sometime in the future. Thanks!

My DS loved space camp in Huntsville. He also attended soccer camps every year.

DD, on the other hand, is my theater rat. She attends 8 weeks of theater camp every summer. The one she attends has a ton of boys, too.

:001_smile:

I am really interested in hearing more about summer camps. If your kids go to camp in the summer, could you tell a bit about what kind of camp it is, for how long, for what ages and anything else you find special or interesting about it. I would love to hear more because I think it is something we might do for our sons sometime in the future. Thanks!

My daughters go to a summer camp (week long) through their scouting organization (American Heritage Girls) they love it, they earn badges and have one of the best cooks :)

My son went to Mfuge this year, a ministry that is found throughout areas (for sure the Southeast)...he served in youth/rec this year with underprivileged children during the days and then they had fellowship/worship at night...his own words were it was probably the most worthwhile week he has had that has grown his faith and allowed him to serve...

HTH!

One year (2 summers ago) we were SO blessed. A Christian camp up in the mountains of NC couldn't fill their first week of camp due to the school year extending because of bad weather in the winter.

SO, they offered their regularly $450/wk camp the first week only for $100. I signed up my boys and they had a BLAST! It was mostly homeschoolers! :D And the camp was only about 1/2 full, so it was fantastic.

That never happened again, but my boys go to boyscout camp every summer. One week is around $220 including everything. This year my boys sold camp cards and covered almost their entire week! I HATE selling things but we will do it again since we "made" $400 in 4 hours of selling.

I just can't afford the $500/wk camps for 3 kids!

I have a friend who sends her kids every year to a place called Ambassador Camp. I think it is more reasonably priced (Christian based).

Dawn

My daughter did sleep away camp for one month. It costs around $3200 for the month.

Its a general type camp with lots of land and sea activities and an overnight trip.

We don't live anywhere near the camp (many states away) so we drive halfway and the camp arranges bus transportation for the rest of the way (at an additional cost of course)

My dd has done

scout camp once (hated it, and she had good reason)

church camp twice (OK)

gymnastics camp (she liked it, but ridiculously expensive and based on the schedule she had there wasn't the amount of instruction I expected for that amount of money)

nature camp twice so far, already planning for next year (awesome for dd and cheaper than any other camp; plus this year she was given a scholarship to go. She had a great time even though she didn't get her first choice study area. It's very rustic. Lots of hiking. Nature study by observing nature.)

We all did farm camp this year. I traded working it for tuition for the kids...well my big kids 4 & 7. I take the baby with me too.:001_smile: It was from 8-6 (we stayed the whole time since I was working it, but lots of kids got picked up closer to 3-4), Monday-Friday.

When everyone first gets there, we all help feed, water, and clean the animals and their pens/cages. That takes about 2 hours. Then we do a craft, outside at the picnic tables, for about an hour. The kids aren't required to do any particular thing, so we basically set the craft stuff out, help those who come, and the others who don't want to play on the slip n slide, squirt guns, or play with the animals. At 11, we have a snack, that the farm provides. At noon is horse rides/lessons. Depending on the age and ability of the child, they learn to trot or go through obstacles, or just walk with a lead rope. By the time we are done, it's about 1, and we head over to the pool deck for lunch and pool time. They stay there until 3. After that, we head out to the barn again to do the afternoon chores-mucking stalls, water checks, getting the dinner buckets ready. The kids have plenty of free play time, which I LOVe. The whole day isn't super structured and the kids are free to pick and chose what they wanted to do.

In two weeks they big girls (4 and 7) will go to horse riding camp. I am not going to volunteer for that one unfortunately. I'll still ask to hang out a bit, as I love being at a barn lol.

I am amazed at all of the camp options out there. When I was a kid, we were lucky to get to go to church camp for one week each summer. I never even knew there were any other types of camps available. I will definitely be taking all of these ideas and researching further to see what might be best for my sons.

This sounds like so much fun! I would want to be working there as well.

We all did farm camp this year. I traded working it for tuition for the kids...well my big kids 4 & 7. I take the baby with me too.:001_smile: It was from 8-6 (we stayed the whole time since I was working it, but lots of kids got picked up closer to 3-4), Monday-Friday.

When everyone first gets there, we all help feed, water, and clean the animals and their pens/cages. That takes about 2 hours. Then we do a craft, outside at the picnic tables, for about an hour. The kids aren't required to do any particular thing, so we basically set the craft stuff out, help those who come, and the others who don't want to play on the slip n slide, squirt guns, or play with the animals. At 11, we have a snack, that the farm provides. At noon is horse rides/lessons. Depending on the age and ability of the child, they learn to trot or go through obstacles, or just walk with a lead rope. By the time we are done, it's about 1, and we head over to the pool deck for lunch and pool time. They stay there until 3. After that, we head out to the barn again to do the afternoon chores-mucking stalls, water checks, getting the dinner buckets ready. The kids have plenty of free play time, which I LOVe. The whole day isn't super structured and the kids are free to pick and chose what they wanted to do.

In two weeks they big girls (4 and 7) will go to horse riding camp. I am not going to volunteer for that one unfortunately. I'll still ask to hang out a bit, as I love being at a barn lol.

I wish we had camps near here! I am astounded by the prices, though. About 15 years ago it cost $50 a week for my sleepaway camp. I can't imagine affording any of these camps for even one kid nowadays!

They're horribly expensive. My parents paid for DS to go. They feel it's important and they paid for my niece to go every year back when she was of the age to go to camp.

Our kids go to a 4H summer camp which is about 1.5 hours away. This is for 4th grade and up, and is overnight for 4 nights.

The next week our kids go to a day camp which is very close to home. I work as a volunteer at the day camp; it is an intense week. This year we had 145 kids. They did things like papermaking, flower pressing, archery, rockets, cooking, leather tooling, puppetry, slip-n-slide, science experiments, geocaching, and others I can't recall. I have volunteered at the camp the last 6 years; to be honest I am ready to take next year off and send the kids on their own. It is a fantastic camp, but I am burned out from working there every year and I want to just get lesson planning done during that week next year. :D We'll see if I am in this same state of mind next summer when they ask me to work there again.