Menu

Elemental History Adventures in America

Civil War is in the list, but the list is rather vague, and I like to know what I'm getting before I spend my money. I'm ok with it not really going deeply into wars, as it is for youngsters.

An introduction to early American history, covering topics such as:

•Native Americans

•Pilgrims

•Colonial times

•Pioneers

•Civil War

•American Tall Tales

This link contains a sample of the teacher pages:

http://elementalhistory.com/samples/Teacher%20Sample.pdf

The booklist (read-alouds to accompany the narratives contained within the curriculum) and TOC may answer your question.

I haven't used it, but may just download it for a quick read through with my 7 year old (who I assume is a bit mature for it, but may enjoy it prior to or during a family trip to Washington D.C. this fall).

The Civil War is glossed over, but I'm totally fine with that because if you look at the table of contents, it really is a very light run-through of early American history. I am using it with my K'er this year as a way to introduce him to many important people in American history such as: Christoper Columbus, Pocahontas, William Penn, Benajmin Franklin, Paul Revere, etc etc. Plus give him a good introduction to early American life.

Each week is set up with 2 days of history and 1 day learning about a state. The 2 history days you just read a one-page story/narrative about whatever the topic is that week. We are rounding this out with lots of picture books I am going to get from the library.

Here is a list of the read alouds:

Pocahontas and the Strangers (Bulla, Clyde Robert)

Squanto, Friend of the Pilgrims (Bulla, Clyde Robert)

A Lion To Guard Us (Bulla, Clyde Robert)

Tolliver’s Secret (Brady, Esther Wood)

The Cabin Faced West (Fritz, Jean)

The Courage of Sarah Noble (Dalgliesh, Alice)

The Matchlock Gun (Edmonds, Walter D.)

Little House on the Prairie (Wilder, Laura Ingalls)

On the Banks of Plum Creek (Wilder, Laura Ingalls)

In Grandma’s Attic (Richardson, Arleta)

You also need a copy of Smart about the 50 states. This can easily be substituted for any elementary state book. No spine is needed, everything is written out in the Teacher's text.

It takes you up through the Gettysburg address, where it states that the battle was important because it helped the North win the war. I think it does a good job gently introducing young readers to the issues of the time. They do recommend picture books to accompany each lesson, and I already had "Follow the Drinking Gourd" to read to my kids to teach them about the times of the civil war.