Menu

HELP! I've failed ds! Good high school level history program needed!

BabyBre

Somehow over this Fourth of July holiday, it came about that ds15 couldn't name the year of our signing of the Declaration of Independence!

Now, usually I'm so very proud to take as much credit as I can for my dc - "They're so smart. They're so polite and well-mannered." etc. This time, however, I like to put all the blame on ds's public school education! (Although I had him home for 4 of the last 5 years so I guess there's no one to blame but myself. I've SO failed him!)

We did American History in 5th grade, and then I let his part-time private school take over history for 6th-8th grades. He's gone back into public school this year and took "World History", the entire history of the world covered in a 9 month period (the only history instruction required in high school in our district!).

So, needless to say we need a good history curriculum. Ds loved SOTW, especially the projects. Not much of a reader but he does humor me, just doesn't retain much that way. He's a doer.

Any suggestions? TIA!

I have an opinion about this that may not be popular, but while I love the literature approach of Sonlight, sometimes I think it's great to take a break from that and go to a very fact-based, traditional textbook approach in order to learn basics and hopefully more "at-your-fingertips" fact recall.

I think there's a place for both types of learning.

Some of my favorite textbooks for basic, straightforward history, are the PASS textbooks from the Florida Dept. of Education. They are intended to be used for remedial high school students, and they split American History into two years and World History into two years. I've found that we have no trouble increasing the pace to include both volumes of either World or American History in one year. In two years, you have a very complete overview of both World and U.S.

The reading level is simple, but the content is fairly complete, imo. Fairly painless to get through, and it's just open-and-go/no frills.

You can download (and print) the student texts for free online, or you can buy printed versions with Teacher's Guide for around $30 from the Florida Dept. of Education (you have to mail-order though).

I'm not saying that it's the "richest" plan of action, but if your ds has little recall of actual facts of history, you may want to bite the bullet and just focus on the practical necessity of getting through the material he needs to know.

I'm just tossing out another idea on where to go from here, and I'm so sorry that you had that "moment". -Truly not fun...

Blessings,

Julie

She LOVED Notgrass American History and certainly learned more in that year than in all previous years in ps. It is chronological...but it also comes from a Biblical worldview so I don't know if that is something you want or not. It does require reading but it is relatively easy reading and a pick up and go book. He might really enjoy it.

You haven't failed him! FWIW, my dd11 came to me last night and said, "Mom, PA is a country, right?" :001_huh: When I stared at her she said, "Oh, no I mean it's a city, right?" :001_huh::001_huh: She was serious. Okay, I'm really glad we're doing Geography next year. :glare:

Okay, for History, MFW has just written a program for High School. They have their 9th grade already complete. Check it out at http://www.mfwbooks.com. It was designed to be done indenpendently (mostly) by the student and I think it uses Notgrass...not sure.

sometimes I think it's great to take a break from that and go to a very fact-based, traditional textbook approach in order to learn basics and hopefully more "at-your-fingertips" fact recall.

Some of my favorite textbooks for basic, straightforward history, are the PASS textbooks from the Florida Dept. of Education.

I just wanted to say THANK YOU! I needed a cheap :D American history book to use as a spine and my 11yo ds was caught between grades here! This will fit the bill perfectly! I already downloaded the first unit!

I love this site! I could not hs without all the other folks here!

Thanks again,

Christy

Lots of kids can tell you when the Declaration was signed. A few might be able to name one of the "injustices and usurpations" of King George. Not many at all have ever seen Jefferson's "rough draught." IMHO, the actual history is more important than knowing the dates.

If you want a crash course in dates and major events, textbooks are the way to go. If you want real history, books and primary sources are a good place to start.