Menu

3rd grade writing paper?

PhotoGal

What did you use for writing paper for third grade? Wide ruled notebooks look a little small, but I know ds needs to transition at some point. I bought a 2nd grade notebook at RR last year and it seemed too big (I will use it for dd for 1st this coming year). Is the 3rd grade fairly narrow (getting kind of close to regular wide ruled paper)? Has anyone used "transition" paper?

This would be for WWE2, some additional writing assignments, etc. He would be doing some print and some cursive.

Edited by HipGal
I can has grammar.

We used the Handwriting w/o Tears paper from RR. Comes in various sizes, I think it was the 2nd size they offer. I can double check if you need me to. I'd think that you could easily use this paper w/ any handwriting prgm you use, it would just take a tiny bit of getting used to, but should be easy for a child to use.

Check it out at RR.

Hunter, that is really pretty looking! I wonder if ds can get the bottom of his letters that small. Maybe I will get some and if it looks too small I can save it for cursive next year. I was planning on having him skip lines, but maybe he wouldn't have to with this paper.

I'm a little scared to try a new kind of paper like the HWOT or 5-line. :blushing: I'm thinking he will be ready for regular wide ruled next year (at least for printing - not sure about cursive). Though I should look into it for dd. It looks interesting!

Looking at the Miller pads and paper now. I wonder if I can find something like this spiral bound. Mrs Twain, did you buy the ream of loose paper or the pad? I'm wondering if the pad stays together or if the pages come out easily. I'd like to keep the pages together. Of couse, I could always 3-hold punch.

Thanks so much for your help so far!

I've been buying the paper from Amazon, but I think I'm going to buy it from School Specialty next time. They sell old fashioned paste, and Prang 64 soy crayons, which have the best color choices for color theory lessons based on a color wheel.

When I first saw the paper, I panicked thinking the lines were too small. Every student also panics. As soon as you attempt to write a sentence though, all fears immediately flee. It's just right. It is regular 3/8 wide ruled lines. It's just a bit smaller than 3/8 skip a line paper, because in the 3/8 skip a line paper it's a midline instead of a 1/3 line. I've had no trouble transitioning any student who had mastered 3/8 skip a line paper, and now I skip that paper altogether.

Hunter, that is really pretty looking! I wonder if ds can get the bottom of his letters that small. Maybe I will get some and if it looks too small I can save it for cursive next year. I was planning on having him skip lines, but maybe he wouldn't have to with this paper.

I'm a little scared to try a new kind of paper like the HWOT or 5-line. :blushing: I'm thinking he will be ready for regular wide ruled next year (at least for printing - not sure about cursive). Though I should look into it for dd. It looks interesting!

Looking at the Miller pads and paper now. I wonder if I can find something like this spiral bound. Mrs Twain, did you buy the ream of loose paper or the pad? I'm wondering if the pad stays together or if the pages come out easily. I'd like to keep the pages together. Of couse, I could always 3-hold punch.

Thanks so much for your help so far!

The ream from Miller Pads and Paper comes loose. I punch holes in it with a 3-hold punch if we need to put it in a binder.

:001_smile:

I have found that copy paper is slicker than most purchased handwriting paper. Crayon flakes off and mechanical pencil leads break easier. I avoid printing out handwriting paper now, and try to purchase it whenever possible, as the students feel more confident about their abilities and are more pleased with the results.

I love this paper. As you can see the midline comes 1/3 of the way up, not half. If the midline is 1/2 way up, there needs to be a space between the lines, or the student is forced to overlap the tall letters and tails.

7be749fa.jpg

THIS IS BRILLIANT! Thank you for sharing! I was so excited when I saw this that I had to show my little man right away. I think this paper would help to alleviate his erasing frustrations (due to the overlapping that you mentioned), let alone the need for skip lines.

ETA: Just out of curiosity, how many sheets do you usually order/use per student per year?

ETA: Just out of curiosity, how many sheets do you usually order/use per student per year?

I'm sorry, but my tutoring situation is not entirely applicable to a home. Once students get used to this paper though, some of them want to use it for non-school activities. I encourage students to become familiar with a favorite pen, pencil and set of crayons, and a limited number of types of paper. They become their "tools". I'm big on students having their own tools for psychological as well as academic and artistic reasons.

I'd only buy one ream to start and make sure it's the right one for your family, and to evaluate how much the children desire to use the paper for non-school activities. Some of my students really like to write and draw on graph/grid paper and in composition books with graph/grid pages, and only use this paper for spelling and handwriting instruction.

There is a landscape version of the paper also, that I have not tried yet.

I find that students become quite picky about paper, pencils, pens, crayon brands etc, once I introduce the pros and cons of individual brands/types.

My dyslexic students abhor the Riggs midline paper without skiplines, but find the skiplines too babyish. Finding the above paper was a godsend for us.

Not only was one student traumatized by the Riggs paper I linked to, but she traumatized me with it, going into lengthy diatribes about how it was abuse to give this paper to ANY child/adult, even the ones able to TOLERATE it. Out of personal self defense I stopped using it, rather than being convinced it's not a good paper. :001_huh:

We'll be switching from Riggs' 3/8" ruled composition notebook.

I love the look of completed Riggs notebooks, but I've learned to hide anything that even looks like Riggs paper.

And there is no online ordering for Riggs paper or notebooks, and often the phone is not manned, so...I've moved in. Life is too short for Riggs paper.

• 1 month later...
Guest mcschmicki

Hunter, could you tell me which handwriting program you use? The sample you posted is exactly what I'm looking for. I am new to homeschooling and new to this forum and my head is spinning after wading through curricula day and night for the past 3 months. If i could check handwriting off my list I would be thrilled. Thank you!