Menu

Singapore sceduling, grade 2

Bluegoat

I'm planning to use Singapore next year for dd7, but my husband is going to be teaching it. I have to do the "set-up" though - make sure I have what is required, so photocopying, that sort of thing.

I am trying to have a rough idea what to expect for scheduling, and I am wondering, roughly, how fast the lessons are likely to go? Do kids mostly get through a lesson in one sitting or do they spread them out, or how long to finish a lesson?

:bigear:

Math is one of the subjects I have a hard time scheduling. I've never been able to look at our books and say Ok, we will spend 1 week on chapter 3. How do I know that DD will have gotten that concept down by the end of the week? And if she hasn't gotten the concept, then obviously I'm going to spend more time on it, and my scheduling for the rest of the year has gone out of the window.

In the same vein, if I open up the books and DD flies through a topic and doesn't need extra work, I don't want to do too much on it.

Sorry, I'm no help am I? :lol: We are using Singapore supplemented with Miquon. For us, some chapters of Singapore could have almost been completed in one day, others we have spent a couple weeks on (with a lot of outside sources and games added in for extra practice when she isn't getting a concept really solidly).

I'm planning to use Singapore next year for dd7, but my husband is going to be teaching it. I have to do the "set-up" though - make sure I have what is required, so photocopying, that sort of thing.

I am trying to have a rough idea what to expect for scheduling, and I am wondering, roughly, how fast the lessons are likely to go? Do kids mostly get through a lesson in one sitting or do they spread them out, or how long to finish a lesson?

I just started 2A this week with my 7year old. I was also teaching my other son with the 4A book at the same time so it was not one on one, we have no babies or toddlers in the house.

If he is working with him one on one and your child is not tired and is cooperative then I think 25 - 45 minutes depending on the lesson. It took me about an hour to do math for both kids, but this is only week one so it may not continue like that.

I found it helpful to use those colored flags and mark up the books ahead of time, The Home Instructor guide tells you what pages correspond with each lesson in the textbook and workbook, so I used matching colors for each days lesson, then I simply had to tell him to open it at the yellow/orange whatever tabs.

We follow the schedule in the HIG, except we don't do the tests. The lessons are pretty short. The appendix in the back of the HIG will need copying, and if you're making a lesson plan, you might want to figure out where the mental math goes. It's listed in the lesson but not in the schedule. If you don't do it the day it's mentioned, that's fine. You just do it sometime after that lesson.

My son either blows through stuff or needs extra help and frequent circling back over it. I think I'd leave this up to hubby. At 7 we did no more than 20 minutes of hard math and then 10-20 minutes of drill and game.

One of the beauties of SM is how flexible it is. And I wouldn't have wanted someone who wasn't in on the nuts and bolts telling me what had to be covered when.

I divide each year up into 12 months (we are 'rounders), 6 for each book, and I make a general guide for this to see if we are falling behind or getting too far ahead, but day to day depends on the alertness of the child, the topic, whether it is new material or review, etc. I would encourage hubby to look over the material and get an initial attack plan and year-long goal, and he will learn from there.

I just follow the HIG (roughly - we adjust as needed). I sometimes do the lesson with a concrete demo like they suggest, but usually we start with discussing the Picts in the textbook. I do use the mental math in the back of the HIG and have these copied and cut apart and ready to go when suggested in the HiG.

For the most part one day per lesson section (every time there is a little arrow that says "do exercise #__").

I'm planning to just enter the details (we use supplements of all varieties) into Homeschool Tracker +. I can't remember what its called? Lesson Planner? Anyhoo its the bit where you just enter the Lessons, divided by the lesson number. That made total sense, didn't it? :lol:

Basically I just want a plan I can input that show what to do after I have finished whatever given thing (i.e. Miquon Lesson 21, followed by Singapore L2, followed by MEP worksheet 2A (those are all random numbers). I don't want to schedule it in, we don't really have a "schedule" anymore anyway, I just want a giant checklist for maths, so I can see at an overview how far we are along, whats up next etc.

The trouble with scheduling Math (and items like phonics etc) is that the child really moves at their own pace. They may hit a brick wall, and if you try to push on with that lesson, they'll end up frustrated. I step away, do something else (online maths, STEM project, Peggy Kaye Games etc), and bring in something like Math Mammoth worksheets. Other times I'll just have to point out what to do, and the child will whizz through it "whats next?" :tongue_smilie:

So the amount of time really depends upon the lesson, what your using, and the childs interest. If its all worksheet based, and not conceptualizing or real life examples/manipulatives, then going past 30 minutes, can drain the child, if your utilising other techniques, then the child could probably go to 45m-1hr. Some people split up the maths into two short lessons a day.

Sorry I couldn't be of more help, but there is no set timing or speed.

Disclaimer: All of the above is my opinion, I am human, therefore I err.