Menu

I pulled my back out. Help!

I dont know how it happened. I was doing dishes this morning, emptying dishwasher, amd felt a spasm. I can barely stand, every position is mcomfortable if not downright painful. Tried advil, hot packs, lying flat on my back.

This sucks.

Chorf Valium until you are groggy for 2 or 3 days. Try to stay moving a little. Be seen if you start to drag a leg or drop your foot.

Try lying on your side with your knees brought up a little and a pillow between them. Try pelvic tilts.

:grouphug:I do this once a year or so. I hesitate to give advice, because what helps me might be bad for you. With that being said, I take the maximum dose of tylenol and move. It is excruciating at first, but only movement loosens it up. The worst was when Ds5 was a baby. We had a tall, steep staircase and I remember crawling up the steps to his room wondering how I was going to get him out of his crib. I hope you feel better soon.

I had all the signs of herniation and severe muscle spasms several times 30 years ago. I found ice packs helped a lot instead of heat especially the first couple of days. Also, I once visited a chiropractor for 1 visit. I was barely able to walk in and was bent over and I was able to walk out pain free:)

Thanks. I am miserable. Taking more advil now. Wish i still had some prescription muscle relaxants!

Call your dr. We got prescriptions without being seen. It was also on the weekend. Muscle relaxers are MUCH better than advil.

I don't know what chorf valium is but making you groggy and bedrest is a MUST! Valium is GOOD for that.

Call your dr. We got prescriptions without being seen. It was also on the weekend. Muscle relaxers are MUCH better than advil.

I don't know what chorf valium is but making you groggy and bedrest is a MUST! Valium is GOOD for that.

Chorf is a word meaning to toss food or a pill in the back of the mouth and wolf it down as fast as possible. The thing valium has over a muscle relaxant is that is not only dims the memory of the event, even if you are having pain you just don't "care" about it.

Chorf is a word meaning to toss food or a pill in the back of the mouth and wolf it down as fast as possible. The thing valium has over a muscle relaxant is that is not only dims the memory of the event, even if you are having pain you just don't "care" about it.

Well that is a little embarrassing. I thought it was a TYPE of valium. :blushing:

I think ice packs-- no hot. Also stay flat on your back if possible. Sitting is not good--can damage things more. Stand rather than sit. Oddly enough Buffern(sp?)works fairly well.

I ruptured a disc several years ago and spent 2 months waiting for the surgery. It was aweful! I was allergic to most pain meds. Anyway those are the main things I can remember from my experience.

Hope it starts feeling better soon. If not go to a doctor.

:grouphug::grouphug::grouphug:

I think ice packs-- no hot. Also stay flat on your back if possible. Sitting is not good--can damage things more. Stand rather than sit. Oddly enough Buffern(sp?)works fairly well.

I ruptured a disc several years ago and spent 2 months waiting for the surgery. It was aweful! I was allergic to most pain meds. Anyway those are the main things I can remember from my experience.

Hope it starts feeling better soon. If not go to a doctor.

:grouphug::grouphug::grouphug:

I agree--also having had a ruptured disc (no surgery.) Ice is always appropriate; heat can do damage if you use it when you shouldn't. 20 min. on, 20 min off. Lie flat on your back. Keep taking the Advil. You want to keep the inflammation down. My doc did prescribe a muscle relaxant, but because it was actually a disc issue, it didn't help.

I dont know how it happened. I was doing dishes this morning, emptying dishwasher, amd felt a spasm. I can barely stand, every position is mcomfortable if not downright painful. Tried advil, hot packs, lying flat on my back.

This sucks.

I am kind of an expert on back problems since I have had them for over 10yrs. Had major back surgery in 2007 and still going to pain doc for my back. Here is what I do when it gets really bad. Use ice for 20min every two hours, don't use heat. Do not take ibuprophen, it inhibits healing is what my pain doc tells me and instead use Aleve or Naproxen. Tylenol won't really do you any good. It will take a few days for it to get better sometimes up to a week.

I take Vicodin and Oxymorphone for mine plus my doc makes her own morphine cream which really helps. When mine is so bad I can't move I can get some muscle relaxers, which maybe would help you if you are desperate.

Hope this helps.

Another thing I find helpful is an elastic support that wraps around your body. They make them for back support for lifting or advertised just as support. It will help hold you together when you are up. Walking is better than sitting and lying down eventually feels best. I'm so sorry. I always wonder with back pain if the pain made me crazy or my craziness caused the pain. It will get better.

Yeah, valium is sure gonna do the trick. I really can never tell if it makes it go away or makes me not care LOL.

If you lie on your back with your legs up on the couch/chair at 90 degrees it may take the pressure off and give you some relief. think sitting in a chair properly only your back on the ground

thanks for asking after me, Kelly, and for all the other posts.

It's not much better today. I would say 10% better, which I guess is better than 0%. I was up a lot last night, in pain, but am spending the day icing 20 minutes on, 20 minutes off today and not doing anything. My son is terribly disappointed as this is his "birthday weekend" and we were supposed to do a ton of fun things, which I just can't do.

Chiropractor, chiropractor, chiropractor. Let me say it again - chiropractor. Also, a cool (not cold) ice pack to keep swelling down and combine Ibuprophen with Tylenol. Ibuprophen for the swelling, Tylenol for the pain.

:iagree::iagree::iagree:dh herniated a disk and he could barely move at all and was in great pain. He went to my chiro first. it meant lots of visit (starting out 2X per day, then every day, every other day and so on) but he was moving fairly quickly.

Actually Valium is a muscle relaxer and usually the one of choice for large muscles such as backs. I ruptured a disc over a year ago and they gave me Valium and Vicodin. I ended up having an anterior spinal fusion this past Feb. Unfortunately it was unavoidable since i had three pinched nerves. Still having major back pain. Still using Valium and Vicodin. Ice helps a lot the first 48hrs then i would switch to heat. I use both depending in if it's muscle pain (ice) from physical therapy or nerve/bone post surgical pain (heat). I pray you just pulled a muscle and nothing serious. Is it just your back? Any pain in your hips or legs?

Edited by CLBMom
Sorry for typos, I'm on my phone :)