Menu

Virtual Homeschool Group for Apologia Chemistry

Have you used this? I was planning to use the Red Wagon Tutorials, but VHSG is FREE!!!! We would be using the at your own pace class. I've browsed the site a few times. If you've used it, please share your thoughts with me! I'm also considering using it for General Science. Thanks!

My dd used VHSG this past semester for Chemistry and LOVED IT!! Seriously, she RAVES about VHSG. She will be doing Biology & Advanced Biology with them this year and my other dds will be doing Physical Science.

We are happy to answer any specific questions you have regarding Chemistry with VHSG.

I had two DSs do VHSG last year. One did chemistry and the other did general science.

Chemistry (live option) DS is not on a science track. He did not like chemistry, but that had nothing to do with VHSG. I felt that the class was NOT challenging enough for a high school class. Labs are optional/extra credit. I required DS to complete, write up, and turn in labs. The teacher had a template for lab reports. Once DS forgot to take out some information on the template when he put in his own info. There were no points taken off for it. I honestly believe that the reports are not even read. I think she awards 100% credit just for them being turned in. Quizzes are given after every lecture. The student is allowed to take the quizzes as many times as they want to obtain a better grade. There is a test after each module, but students may only take the test once. DS did not have to do any major studying for chemistry. He read the modules, completed the OYOs, end of chapter questions, and practice problems. He made A's on most test and B's on some, so the test material must have come directly from the quizzes, lectures, readings.

General Science (live option) DS was about the same - no major studying. The orignal teacher quit within the first couple of weeks of the class and Tammi had to take over. Again, not challenging, but a good course to get a child used to an online class or to get a child used to being accountable to someone else.

I would have to say that if your child is a science-y kid, then VHSG may not be the best option for them because it will not adequately prepare them for deeper/advanced study in science. But if you are looking to simply check off the science box, then it is a viable option.

Dd did biology and chemistry. It seems easy, but in reality, you have to do the work to get a good grade. The quizzes can be taken more than once, and that is because that helps you study the information. The lectures were great, and the teacher has a great way of explaining concepts. Dd also met some great friends from all over the country.

They are swamped right now setting classes up for fall. If you don't hear, write again. Free means volunteers, and they are all very busy.

I have spent a significant amount of time on the site and it drives me batty. There is actually a long winded video about how to sign in and register. I watched the entire thing b/c I thought there must be something special about their method. No, there is not. Everything has a video to watch. To find out how to sample a class you have to watch a video.

I did finally figure out the ins and outs of how it all works. (After watching quite a few videos). I watched a sample lesson and just could not take the pace and tone. I kept my feelings to myself and let Ds watch the lesson. He said "is that what I would have to watch every day? I could have gotten all of that from reading in half the time." So, he seems to feel that the lessons are tedious. But, keep in mind, that was based on one lesson.

Several area moms are using VH for Apologia Biology to supplement their lab meeting. If we participate in the labs, we will not use VH. Even though the site drove me crazy and the lesson presentation didn't click for us, I still think it could be a good option for some. It's amazing to find that much teaching and review for low-no cost.

Link?

ETA: Did you all do the live option? How was the At Your Pace version?

Biology was done live, chemistry at dd's own pace. When you go at your own pace, you can get help during open office hours, or pop into the class and wait for a good time to ask a question (beginning or end of class).

I used this last year for a chemistry co-op class. It was ok, and the price was right. The grading was a little easy, since students could retake the quizzes to get 100%, and it was a significant proportion of the grade. So the quizzes basically raised everyone's final grade up, and a kid that got mostly 70s on the test still got a B in the class. I agree, the lab report submission grading was very generous too. I thought the lessons were kind of tedious too, and by the end of the year a few of the students were complaining about them. But all the information is in the text, so you can use the website just for the quizzes and tests and without listening to the lessons. Or have a student read the text first, and just listen to the voice threads if the student is confused, instead of all the time.

I am not using it this year for co-op because I don't want to use Apologia, but it is a good option, especially if you aren't into chemistry. If you are going to use Apologia anyway it is probably worth trying since it doesn't cost anything.

And yes, I had a hard time registering last year too, but I went to the live office hours and they got me set up correctly.

Edited by anne1456