Menu

Life of Fred - do you really write it down?

peachbub

Just started LoF Apple with my kids today and they thought it was fun! I was wondering if we really need to have them write it all down, though? Seems enough to just talk it through but maybe we're setting the stage for when things get harder? For anyone who's used it a little longer, I'd love your thoughts! :)

It varied as the series developed. For the early books, she did the answers orally. When they got a little trickier, she still did it orally - good mental math practice. Once it got to larger, multi digit problems, she did it on the whiteboard. But primarilly orally for sure. Now that she is doing Fractions, she works independently and writes down all the answers.

It varied as the series developed. For the early books, she did the answers orally. When they got a little trickier, she still did it orally - good mental math practice. Once it got to larger, multi digit problems, she did it on the whiteboard. But primarilly orally for sure. Now that she is doing Fractions, she works independently and writes down all the answers.

:iagree:

Like previous posters, we do them orally for the most part (love the mental math). There have been a few exceptions - e.g., long division gets written down and also I wrote down a few of the problems when carrying/borrowing/regrouping was introduced with addition/multiplication. While I adore SM's strategies, I do want my girls to know the algorithm approach, too.

My son writes the answers down on graph paper (larger squares on the grid) and loves to check his work to see how well he did. It helps us with accountability (and yes, spelling). He works independently and asks me if he has difficulty with a problem. He loves to let me know how well he did!

Just started LoF Apple with my kids today and they thought it was fun! I was wondering if we really need to have them write it all down, though? Seems enough to just talk it through but maybe we're setting the stage for when things get harder? For anyone who's used it a little longer, I'd love your thoughts! :)

We write down most everything. Some we do orally, but I like letting Ethan get some practice writing. :)

Through the elementary series (probably, as that's what we've done so far and we're on Goldfish) we'll just let DS read them and answer orally or think through the questions. When we hit Fractions later this year, he'll start writing them down as I want him to go a bit deeper with it.