Menu

Elimination Diet for Behavior

I'd start there. Whenever my kids have artificial colors, additives, preservatives, or too much sugar, their behavior deteriorates. Just depends on what you mean by "processed"---

Also depending on how long you've been away from home, it could be the stress of the vacation. Just like us, kids sleep better and feel better in their own home. Especially if you've been busy with activities or visiting family.

I'd start there. Whenever my kids have artificial colors, additives, preservatives, or too much sugar, their behavior deteriorates. Just depends on what you mean by "processed"---

Also depending on how long you've been away from home, it could be the stress of the vacation. Just like us, kids sleep better and feel better in their own home. Especially if you've been busy with activities or visiting family.

:iagree: Sugar is the number one behavior disaster food for my ds1.

We're on vacation and he's been eating a lot more processed food then we do at home (given by grandparents) and his fuse is extra short lately.

It may be that it has nothing to do with the food, but with the changed routine and new stimulations due to the vacation. I would first see if his behavior returns to normal when he is back to his regular schedule and environment.

but a friend had her son go through testing to see what affected his behavior (things that make him aggressive, mean, hostile).

They found that dyes, packaged foods and apple juice were the main culprits. Sugar had no effect on his behavior. She was really suprised.

Now she makes food from scratch, no dyes and no apple juice. She said there is an 80% improvement in his behavior.

Our absolute biggest triggers (beyond gluten) are Red 40, Yellow 5, and BHT. We also watch out for MSG, TBHQ, sodium nitrate and any other artificial coloring. If you can at least double-check for those things, it might make the rest of your vacation more tolerable. :grouphug:

It may be that it has nothing to do with the food, but with the changed routine and new stimulations due to the vacation. I would first see if his behavior returns to normal when he is back to his regular schedule and environment.

I agree that the lack of sleep on our trips always catches up with him. However, the thing that seems odd to me is how he'll have a few days or weeks of being generally pretty good (for a kid that has trouble calming himself down) and then have a few days or weeks of being very short-tempered and argumentative. It's almost like dealing with two different kids. That's why I suspect that something else may be involved.