Menu

Where did you buy your globe?

Aspasia

I got mine from the public school castoffs, free! It's a nice one too, though it has no stand. That hasn't been an issue for us. :)

You might check to see where public school castoffs go (usually an auction house) and see if you can find one there free or cheap. I was buying desks/chairs for $5/each, and the guy threw in the globe for free. Did the same for a friend of mine (which is why I asked him about a globe :D).

I swear I've seen them at Target during back-to-school sales in the past, but not this year. Where's a good place to look?

I just saw a Globe at my local target in the back2school section. It's possible that everything hasn't "set' yet for the back2school display and it might come in later. I would call.... I didn't check the price though.

I would check Walmart, the quality between the two places is probably comparable.

I did not buy a "real globe". I bought a blow-up ball of the world. I just didn't want to find a permanent home for a globe--they're big. The blow up ball I bought was less than $7.00 and is very detailed. It even has ocean currents labeled on it. I also figured that it could be used as a distraction when necessary.

I bought my globe from National Geographic. It was pricey but I wanted a nice one. It broke off of the base almost immediately. My husband repaired it but I am still disappointed in the overall quality and the company was not particularly helpfu when I contacted them. My Target globe (I imagine wlmart etc would be comparable) was better

I went to Target today and there was a spot on the shelf for globes but it was empty. An employee checked area stores and they're ALL out! What the heck! I guess I'll check Costco. Who knew cheap Target globes were such a hot commodity?

With a newborn in tow - you might want to check amazon.com. I found one last year for about $60 which I really like. I was hoping if I spent a little more on a slightly higher quailty globe than what I saw at Target - that we would get several years out of it! So far, so good!

Got mine at Target too. But it doesn't look like it. I had an old one from a garage sale with a metal arm and a wooden base. (Not only was it coming apart at the equator, it still had the USSR). Then I found a cheap Target one in the back-to-school section and when I got home I tried and found I could switch the holders (just pulled apart, so my up-to-date globe has a really nice base. And somebody else got the old globe with the plastic stand from my neighbor's garage sale. :)

I have a fancy globe with a light in it that my MIL gave us. It sits on a bookshelf, and we seldom reference it.

My cheapie inflatable globe has been great! It can travel easily to any room, even sit on the bed at story time and I don't have to worry about it. I bought it at a teacher store for about $5 but it did pop after a year (I'm sure due to the kids playing with it). I just ordered a new one from RR for about $8. I'm surprised how much we have missed it this past month!

:tongue_smilie: