Menu

WWE 3 Narration am I understanding this correctly???

The Crazy 4

I am having a hard time with narration. I posted recently (just complaining), but I think I found MY problem. I just listened to SWB Audio A Plan for Teaching Writing: Focus on the Elementary Grades and reread the The Complete Writer. My question is for Level 3 & 4 WWE (or history or science) What I should expect is for my DD to tell me anything that she can remember in a complete sentence? And at Level 3 it should be in 4 to 5 sentences?

I think Ive been pushing my DD to hard. I have the workbook for WWE 3 (& thats where we started) and the Activity guides for SOTW 2 and I ask her all this questions trying to get her narration to match up with the example that is given.

And what SWB keeps stating (audio) grades 1-4 is really just getting them to get something on paper....Am I wrong???

We are on week 16 of WWE3. At this point, the goal is to get them to summarize the passage (not all the details, but the main idea of what is happening in the passage) in 3 sentences or so (or 4 sentences -- I don't think there is a magic number). The comprehension questions are leading them to organize their thoughts so they can do that. If they can't do that after the comprehension questions, then there are a few more very pointed questions to make it happen. They should always answer in complete sentences. This is the WWE3 workbook I'm referring to. I haven't tried to apply it exactly to science or history; I just let my dd narrate more free form in those subjects (but still in complete sentences).

I agree with MonaLisa. I think the important part is making sure they understood what they read, without it being super long. As she gets better, they will naturally increase in length and detail. And don't worry if her answers don't match exactly. Everyone has a different perspective and this will slant the answers. As long as she gets the big picture, she will be fine.