Menu

Morning basket for older students..

Leslie in TN

What is a "morning basket"? Things they are supposed to do before mom is available to help? Is it stuff they *have* to accomplish (like a math page) or optional stuff they just might find interesting (like a secondary resource book on the history period you are studying, that they can peruse if they want to)?

I'm intrigued because I'm trying to figure out how to waste less time in the morning before I am able to actually sit down with DS... :bigear:

What is a "morning basket"? Things they are supposed to do before mom is available to help? Is it stuff they *have* to accomplish (like a math page) or optional stuff they just might find interesting (like a secondary resource book on the history period you are studying, that they can peruse if they want to)?

I'm intrigued because I'm trying to figure out how to waste less time in the morning before I am able to actually sit down with DS... :bigear:

For us, the morning basket is a catch-all for the little things that don't take a lot of time on their own but can fall through the cracks if I'm not intentional about making time for them. DS13 is pretty independent with the majority of his work, but the morning basket contains the stuff that we do together.

Ours is an Afternoon basket since I work mornings :)

I'm working with an 11 yo and a 9 yo, so one of them is in "middle" school. We will be starting homeschooling each day with a few selections from the basket, and then probably finish up each day with one or two more selections. I realize that many people may not use picture books with older kids, but after reading A Picture Perfect Childhood I decided I really wanted to!

Anyhow, my basket line-up has:

Here is what we have at this moment in our summer basket:

My kids are still young, but many of our morning meeting activities would be fine for older kids.

The kids and I take turns leading the meeting.

We do the following:

- Date (just state the date cuz I require the date on all school paperwork)

- Plan for the day (so I know who I'm driving where and when)

- Weather (just read the forcast off the iPad, helps with clothing choices later in the day)

- prayers, intentions, and a decade of the rosary

- one rotating subject (see below)

Our current rotating subjects include

- picture study

- music appreciation

- theatre game (this is their favorite part!)

- bible story

- saint story

Our morning meeting has morphed over the years.

At various times it has also included the following:

- oral presentations

- individual memory work

- group memory work

- stretching / moving

I'm thinking of adding virtues and handbells.

We also add in extra activities during Advent and Lent.

A full morning meeting can take over an hour.

. I realize that many people may not use picture books with older kids, but after reading A Picture Perfect Childhood I decided I really wanted to!

I use the picture books listed in Picture Perfect Childhood with my older kids and they still enjoy them. Much of the subject matter of those books are mature and quite suitable for older children. :001_smile:

• 1 year later...

We call it Morning Time, but right now it's actually in the early afternoon.  Here's a terrific place to start, if you are looking for one. :)

http://www.ordo-amoris.com/p/morning-time-where-to-begin.html

I have yet to add in grammar and cursive, but they are on the list for this year.  We mostly focus on reading Bible, poetry, and 3 or 4 different works of literature (a different book each day).  I'm surprised by which children enjoy which books, not at all what I would have guessed.

(We're still reading: Count of Monte Cristo, Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy, and The Chosen, and we started Red Sails to Capri recently.)

Oh, and Shakespeare on Fridays!

Great post! This was extremely helpful to me, momto2Cs. Thank you for the links, too!

Ours is an Afternoon basket since I work mornings :)

I'm working with an 11 yo and a 9 yo, so one of them is in "middle" school. We will be starting homeschooling each day with a few selections from the basket, and then probably finish up each day with one or two more selections. I realize that many people may not use picture books with older kids, but after reading A Picture Perfect Childhood I decided I really wanted to!

Anyhow, my basket line-up has:

Here is what we have at this moment in our summer basket:

Making progress here. . .

We are using ours as tea-time studies, so late afternoon/early evening. I was surprised at how efficiently our written/desk work was done today in anticipation of our tea-time treasures.

Philosophy

Logic

Killgallon Sentence-Composing book

Poetry

Shared reading in various subjects (science, history, writing, grammar, spelling, math, philosophy)

Nature book

Art

Music

ETA: Previously we scattered these throughout the day, but they were often forgotten or passed over. It was starting to feel disjointed to have them intermixed with the desk work part of our day. This grouping allows a more natural flow as we move a from our desks for the rest of the day instead of back and forth from desks to reading chairs.