Menu

help!!!! Is MFW Exploring Countries and Cultures too hard for a second grader

Leanna76

Hi! Please help! I bought MFW ECC at the curriculum fair , but when I got it home and looked it...I'm sorta thinking it may be too hard for my second . She reads , but there seems to be so much to cover. I didn't do Adventures because we did American History last year and didn't want to do it again. Help! I can only take it back today without having to pay shipping :-\ Thank you!!!!

We are using ECC this year (just finished our 2nd week) and I also chose it over Adventures because we had already studied American History. You will be fine with a 2nd grader as long as you remember that you don't have to do everything. We use the Book Basket A LOT and don't even touch the Advanced assignments. We are using reading the Complete Book of Animals, which I would highly recommend getting if you don't already have it. There are some things we have adjusted along the way (like for the vocabulary, they copy the word and draw the picture and I write the definition), but the student sheets seem to be working out fine. As long as you remember that ECC was written to include much older students also and you don't have to do everything I think you will be fine!

An older child will certainly get more out of it, but if you remember what the PP said about not doing everything, you should be ok. Do the "fun" stuff. Forget about all the worksheets and do some maps, color flags, cook a meal from the country studies, read some good supplemental children's books, the missionary stories, etc. Since you already have it...just make the most of it. :)

We did ECC with a 4th grader and a 2nd grader and my 2nd grader did great! I had to adjust a few things for her, but she got a lot out of it and I don't regret doing it.

We did the Complete Book of Animals, and I let her copy things from the whiteboard instead of just reading it and her taking notes. I also would dial back the dictation of the memory verse unless your kids are used to dictation. That was a source of frustration for her. Don't skip the missionary read alouds. They were probably the best thing about the whole year!