Menu

Would you like to share the most bizarre room in your house?

It is a shooting gallery and it was specially constructed by the old owner. The walls are thick concrete with special soundproof fuzzy stuff on the inside. It's really weird because if you walk into the room and then talk to someone at the door you sound muffled. The door is steel. You're supposed to be able to shoot in there and not hear it in the rest of the house, but I don't think that's quite right because we had an enthusiastic friend come to visit with his gun and I heard a muffled "boom" from outside.

Dh and I don't shoot - though he keeps threatening to take it up now.

We're really not sure what to do with the room. It's creepy. It would make a great panic room - no one is getting in there. We've thought about maybe making the end part a secret panic room and then turning the front part into a wine cellar. Or maybe just one big wine cellar :D We've also thought about turning it into a bowling alley; that would be cool.

I never considered putting bookshelves in there - probably because the room really creeps me out.

Sarah CB sorry for my knee jerk reaction. It would creep me out if I wasn't a shooter. But it is definately the most unusual room I have heard of in a house. Being a kitchen person I would turn it into a root cellar in a heart beat. You could store alot of food in there.

I felt like ducking after my monitor moved and I saw that target in there. WOW! My heart skipped a beat.

I do not have an unusaul room. The one that creeps me out the most is my laundry room. :eek: and we do. not. want. to. go. there. Your room is much more postable. :001_smile:

I think that's really cool! Not sure how I would feel about living in a house with it, though.

I don't have an unusual room, appearance-wise -- but a serial killer murdered an elderly man in our bedroom in 1987 (and attempted to kill his wife, but she survived). We didn't find that out until about 3 weeks after we closed on the house, when a team from 'Forensics Files' showed up at our house wanting to film. The law in this state is that a seller has to disclose that kind of stuff -- but the seller claims not to have known (I doubt it).

Eek!!!! Hmm, that would probably give me the heebie jeebies even though I pride myself on not being superstitious or anything . . .

We don't have a weird room but we have a secret hiding place. There is a crawlspace under our laundry room. When we finished our basement we wanted to put up built in bookshelves but we didn't want to put up anything that would keep us from getting into the crawlspace for wiring and plumbing reasons. So our resourceful builder built us a bookcase that rolls out on runners. It looks just like a bookcase in a movie that would hide a secret passage. My kids always show it off to people visiting.

But it doesn't hold a candle to murders or shooting galleries!

Wow. I think I would have to either permanently lock it shut, or take the door off, because I'd be terrified of getting trapped in it. Thanks for sharing! This is a cool thread idea.

Here's the most weird room in my house so far, but we're working on bizarring up the rest to match. I have a giant fire mural in progress on the living room wall, and will shortly (hopefully) have trees on the walls in the parlor.

IMG_1976.jpg

IMG_1975.jpg

That's what I was thinking too: magical. I wanted to paint my room like that when I was a teen but mom decided it needed to be sunshine yellow instead. Barf. We are talking so bright and so the opposite of what I wanted. It was like living on the sun.

Ds is painting his room right now and I need to go help him. He is my family decorator. He has picked a very deep green, almost black, from the Builtmore Estate color card from Lowes. He's into old-world/ medieval decor. He should be a designer when he grows up.

I have a room that has a really odd thing in it. One wall has a half closet on the far right, a half closet on the far left, and something in the middle. The thing in the middle is what looks like a regular door with knob, but is half the size and on the upper half (toward the ceiling half not the floor half) of the wall. You open it up and there is this little cubby up there.

We couldn't figure it out at first. Then we figured it out. Our house is a tri-level. This room is on the top floor with that wall sharing a wall with the entry hall of the main level. Underneath that odd little "closet" is the front hall coat closet! And downstairs in the family room, below the coat closet is another cubby that matches the one all the way upstairs.

That's what I was thinking too: magical. I wanted to paint my room like that when I was a teen but mom decided it needed to be sunshine yellow instead. Barf. We are talking so bright and so the opposite of what I wanted. It was like living on the sun.

Ick. My mom insisted that my bedroom would be the palest shade of pink possible. She actually said that to the decorator: "the palest shade possible." White walls drive me bonkers. I can't deal with them. Our starry room had been the brightest room in the house, so I painted it in the darker colors to ground it.

He's into old-world/ medieval decor. He should be a designer when he grows up.

Ooh, I'd love to see it when he's done.

Take out the target and the fuzzy walls and your room looks like our lock up room under the front porch. It's mostly extra storage, but dh keeps guns and important papers in there because it has a deadbolt on it and is a fireproof room. It's also a good tornado shelter, but our basement, though a walkout, is fine for that if you're in the area away from the wall with the windows and sliding glass door.

I don't think we've got a particularly bizarre room in this house. It's kinda a shame because I like weird little rooms.

We once lived on a campus that had been a convent and there were all kinds of funky rooms and spaces there. There was a tunnel that went from the basement of the main building all the way out to the hill (a loooong way away) with the stations of the cross and also in other directions to barns and outbuildings that were part of the property but across the road. There was a space under the choir loft in the chapel that was probably just extra storage space, but kids used it as a hideout. The main building was huge and there was a large, mostly unused attic that we liked to explore, too. I was a huge Nancy Drew fan and I'd always wanted to live somewhere with secret passages, so this was like a dream come true for me:D I wonder if the tunnel thing is common to convents and monasteries because we also lived near an old convent in Wichita which was sold and then torn down. Dh and his cousins grew up in that neighborhood and had stories of exploring the tunnels on the grounds.

Oh my! That guy at the back freaked me out. Is this a shooting gallery in your house!????!

That is bizzare! Do you practice yourself?

I need to go to bed. I read this as "Do you practice on yourself?" Because surely Sarah likes to sit around and try to shoot herself for fun (where is my brain again?)

Really, this looks like the entrance to a torture chamber to me. Do I get any bonus points for guessing? :lol:

If you saw the creepy basement where I have to do laundry, you'd have nightmares.

Same here. Very creepy basement for laundry. There's no other place in the house to put the washer, so it has to be down there. You can absolutely tell that this house was built in the late 50's.