Menu

Puppy Appetite?

Bazinga isn't eating the amt the bag says...in fact, I split the amt in 3, fed her this am...and she's only eaten about half of *that*.

She's drinking, and running around w/the kids, and naps. I don't *think* she's sleeping 'too much' but no idea what that would actually be w/a puppy whose suddenly playing w/kids.

I don't know if this is a matter of new place, or maybe she doesn't like the $70 bag of food I bought her :glare: or if she could be getting sick.

Any thoughts?

Are her poops normal? Do you have her on the same food as the breeder? She is only eight weeks, right? Yes, she will sleep a LOT, especially after playing with kiddos.

Now I am worried about her. Send her to me so I can observe her and give you a more informed opinion. Seriously.

:lol:

Do some research on food recs for mastiffs. The hive members told me of their special needs.

I did read about the protien being under 25%, but the lowest I could find was 26. Hence the $70 price tag :glare:

The stuff the breeder was using was a) higher protien and b) we don't have the store here she uses, and it's a store brand. Can't get the da*n stuff.

Poop is fine so far, if in the wrong places :lol:

I feed mine Merrick Grammas chicken soup...or something like that...It is for all ages. I originally put the food down in her crate and she would eat it. My doggie doesnt eat much. I did have a few other brands she hated and really didnt eat. I added water or chicken broth on those and she would eat it.

Now I put the measured amount in a bowl and leave it there. Somedays my doggie eats other days it sits all day. My puppy is super healthy and a great weight. If I add wet food ...it is gone in a minute...but I only do that once in a while. I only give her dry food. She wishes she was a spoiled puppy...:D

I would see how your doggie is going potty and if all is well...then I wouldnt worry. It may be he doesnt like it.

Mine is a small dog, 10 lbs. I feed her about 2/3 - one cup a day. She has never been a fast eater.

I havent bought any super expensive brands but Im not sure if you are buying a large bag? Have you Checked Costco brand? It is Taste of the Wild....might be cheaper if you need a large bag of healthy food. (my doggie didnt like TOTW but many do)

Edited by mchel210

I feed mine Merrick Grammas chicken soup...or something like that...It is for all ages. I originally put the food down in her crate and she would eat it. My doggie doesnt eat much. I did have a few other brands she hated and really didnt eat. I added water or chicken broth on those and she would eat it.

Now I put the measured amount in a bowl and leave it there. Somedays my doggie eats other days it sits all day. My puppy is super healthy and a great weight. If I add wet food ...it is gone in a minute...but I only do that once in a while. I only give her dry food. She wishes she was a spoiled puppy...:D

I would see how your doggie is going potty and if all is well...then I wouldnt worry. It may be he doesnt like it.

I havent bought any super expensive brands but Im not sure if you are buying a large bag? Have you Checked Costco brand? It is Taste of the Wild....might be cheaper if you need a large bag of healthy food. (my doggie didnt like TOTW but many do)

Costco is 45 min away. I'm hoping that a) she'll eat the bag I've got, and then I can switch her to a raw diet, b/c finding anything other than Science Diet or Puppy Chow seems next to impossible around here :glare:

She'll eat.

We just got another GSD for my parents and brother (I'm driving it over at the end of August when my sister gets married).

He is almost three...ate about four treats total for the first two full days after he arrived. Drank very well...but ate very little. We still exercised, he loved going to the pond, played ball...then about the third day he ate a little raw chicken, about a handful. Then a whole leg the next day, then a full quarter. Tonight, he ate all his food which was almost a full portion. :D He's finally getting hungry. He wouldn't even touch the kibble the old owner brought that I tried giving him each morning for the first few days to get him to eat something. I gave it to a friend of mine. It's not bad quality, just he prefers what my dogs are getting.

Sorry. Yes...I would stay away from those cheap brands.

I usually buy a large bag and freeze them in smaller ziplocks in the garage. That way you dont have to keep going to the store...I had to call and ask about that before...and now I freeze both dog and cat food! Saves me time and money. Might be a great idea for you if you cant get anything close by. Ive never done a raw diet...but I see lots online about it.

Delilah never ate the recommended amount. She was a lightweight for such a large breed dog. Even now she is only at 2 C a day at 6 months old. I offer her more but she just isn;t hungry. Onyx on the otherhand is a piggy and will eat all of his, her's, the cat's and our's in 1 sitting. He is on 3 C a day typically. the amount on the bag is just a guideline follow your puppy's lead (unless it is a piggy like Onyx lol)