Menu

Trimesters or Quarters?

Aloha2U

I prefer 12-week trimesters. That way I can sort of follow a traditional school schedule--start in the late summer or fall and complete a trimester before Christmas. When I did quarters, I'd get stressed over having an extended break in the middle of a term. In real life, it makes no difference, but when I'm planning it's nice to have trimesters planned out.

I do 2 semesters, because I like for my calendar to be balanced. 90 days before winter break and 90 days after.

This year ds is doing Western Hemisphere cultures in the fall semester and Eastern Hemisphere in the spring semester. He is doing a semester of life science first semester, but second semester he is doing a quarter of Earth science and a quarter of physical science. This year our poet, composer, artist, and nature studies are broken into quarters.

So, I also like quarters or semesters for the same reason that the other poster likes trimesters. Since I do 90 days before winter break, if I did trimesters, the middle trimester would be divided in two.

HTH-

Mandy

I did six terms for the first time this year, so I can break it down a bit further.

Some things stretch across all six (for a year study) while other things (like an election study this fall) may only cover one term.

I love the year planned out this way.

I am too. I'm really cheating and planning 2 calendar months at a time - I hope that I will also be able to include more seasonal stuff by planning this way.

I am too. I'm really cheating and planning 2 calendar months at a time - I hope that I will also be able to include more seasonal stuff by planning this way.
This year, I broke our six terms evenly from Jan-first week of Dec, since we take the rest of Dec off. I wish it were a bit more 'even' that it has worked out to be.

Next year, I am planning on setting terms at two months each and leaving Nov-Dec shorter than the rest. I probably won't plan that last term and wait and see what I want to do mid-year. (Focus on one or two skills? Nature study? Extra science?)