Menu

Help please.

~Amanda~

I"m struggling a lot right now. I was fine with the next year how I had it planned out; but now that I'm looking at everything as a "now until the end of high school" ... my 7th grader is "off". and I don't know what to do... I was trying to do my 6th and 7th grader on the same schedule; which I can continue to do for this year, at least, but I need to try to do something different for 8th grade to try to get back on track for high school. Can anyone give me any advice as far as what I should do for getting back on track for science/history? I'm open to new curriculum choices, but we are pretty much strictly secular.

My plan for this year was something like -

Science - Biology Logic Stage

Math - lof books

Writing - Writing Strands/Classical Writing-

Grammar-AG -

Logic - Art of Argument

Latin -Visual Latin

computer - typing etc

Geography-

History - History Odyssey Middle Ages stage 2

Our schedule is messed up because we homeschooled for 5th grade, and then she requested to go back to PS, which I allowed, and then halfway through the year she came back home (in 6th grade) so while she was in the 5th grade, we did ancients... but most of this ^^^ was my plan for her in 6th grade that got sidetracked because she went back to PS. I don't want to skip middle ages... should I do like a US history for 8th, and then pick back up in 9th with ancients etc? and what about science? We did chemistry last year, and biology this year... I'm using the elemental science, which seems to be perfectly lined up with my son, but not so with DD (7th grade). So what should I do for 8th grade science? Is there a "general science" that sort of goes over earth, physics, etc until I can start her up in 9th? and then is it too repetitive to do biology in 7th and then again in 9th? I don't have my HS science picked out as of yet, either, so that doesn't help me much, although I am eyeballing this one

http://www.scienceforhighschool.com/

She is leaning towards a science-based career; she's doing shadowing at a vet clinic now, and is in the 4H Vet Science Club, which will have her with a veterinary assistant certificate by the time she graduates HS (or before). So I'm less worried about TOO much biology and not ENOUGH of another science.

Any insight is appreciated. I know this is probably disjointed reading.

I think you're worrying about it way too much. History and science are content subjects, and it's not going to make or break your daughter's career if she doesn't get three full rotations of sciences and world history. There's even a section in the WTM about "starting in the middle". You might want to re-read that.

If biology is her passion, I would have her focus on different areas of science, which can help reinforce her understanding of college level biology classes when she takes them. Maybe have her study astronomy and earth science this year.

When you get to high school, you can also choose to do other things besides world history, especially if that's not an area of interest for her. Most students do a year of US history in high school, US government/economics, plus a year of world geography. That may be a better plan for her than forcing her through four more years of world history. Also, IIRC, WTM says that the high school student begins to specialize, maybe doing more science instead of 3 foreign languages or studying psychology instead of earth science again.

I"m struggling a lot right now. I was fine with the next year how I had it planned out; but now that I'm looking at everything as a "now until the end of high school" ... my 7th grader is "off". and I don't know what to do... I was trying to do my 6th and 7th grader on the same schedule; which I can continue to do for this year, at least, but I need to try to do something different for 8th grade to try to get back on track for high school. Can anyone give me any advice as far as what I should do for getting back on track for science/history? I'm open to new curriculum choices, but we are pretty much strictly secular.

My plan for this year was something like -

Science - Biology Logic Stage

Math - lof books

Writing - Writing Strands/Classical Writing-

Grammar-AG -

Logic - Art of Argument

Latin -Visual Latin

computer - typing etc

Geography-

History - History Odyssey Middle Ages stage 2

Our schedule is messed up because we homeschooled for 5th grade, and then she requested to go back to PS, which I allowed, and then halfway through the year she came back home (in 6th grade) so while she was in the 5th grade, we did ancients... but most of this ^^^ was my plan for her in 6th grade that got sidetracked because she went back to PS. I don't want to skip middle ages... should I do like a US history for 8th, and then pick back up in 9th with ancients etc? and what about science? We did chemistry last year, and biology this year... I'm using the elemental science, which seems to be perfectly lined up with my son, but not so with DD (7th grade). So what should I do for 8th grade science? Is there a "general science" that sort of goes over earth, physics, etc until I can start her up in 9th? and then is it too repetitive to do biology in 7th and then again in 9th? I don't have my HS science picked out as of yet, either, so that doesn't help me much, although I am eyeballing this one

http://www.scienceforhighschool.com/

She is leaning towards a science-based career; she's doing shadowing at a vet clinic now, and is in the 4H Vet Science Club, which will have her with a veterinary assistant certificate by the time she graduates HS (or before). So I'm less worried about TOO much biology and not ENOUGH of another science.

Any insight is appreciated. I know this is probably disjointed reading.

Take a deep breath. Exhale. Repeat 3x. ;)

You are not off. What you do for science and history in 7th grade is completely irrelevant (contrary to the 100s of posts panicking over elementary and middle school science.) My kids do not use textbooks for science until they are taking high school level credits. Really. Truly. I have managed to raise a ds that is a real live walking and breathing (and well employed ;) ) chemical engineer (that graduated near the top of his class and his first science textbook was physical in 8th grade and I have even abandoned that!) I have a dd that is pursuing occupational therapy and ds that is only a rising 11th grader that is planning a future in astrophysics that is taking cal based physics at the local university in the fall. His first science textbook was high school physics in 8th grade, he took chemistry in 9th and AP chemistry (scoring a 5) in 10th.

We are starting our new yr next week. My 8th grader is actually functioning on a pretty solid 10th grade leve. Guess what? No science textbook in 8th. My 5th grader.....no science textbook.

All they do is read lots of great science topics. A wide variety of topics......whatever interests them. 8th grade dd has chosen to read the books from this series for the yr: Our Living World of Nature http://www.ebay.com/itm/Our-Living-World-Nature-Series-New-/230610511560

And guess what, I am completely confident that she will have zero problems taking high school chem in the 9th w/no formal middle school chemistry. How do I know? B/c I have already followed the same process w/her 4 older siblings. Not one of the has ever struggled w/science.

My 5th grader will select book by book what topic she wants to read about.

High school level science is taught as introductory level material.

We don't do cyclical history, either. ;)

It will be ok. Stick w/what you have planned and if you need to tweak as the yr goes on, do. If it is going well, just forge ahead. (And stop reading the boards if they are contributing to your panic. :tongue_smilie:)

ETA: Oh, I and don't know what I am using for my 11th grader in 12th. Nor do I know what I am using w/my 8th grader in high school. Other than general broad topics that are standard high school subjects, I don't worry about any more than that until I get there. :) So not knowing when they are 12 yrs old is perfectly fine!)

Edited by 8FillTheHeart

We are starting our new yr next week. My 8th grader is actually functioning on a pretty solid 10th grade leve. Guess what? No science textbook in 8th. My 5th grader.....no science textbook.

All they do is read lots of great science topics. A wide variety of topics......whatever interests them. 8th grade dd has chosen to read the books from this series for the yr: Our Living World of Nature http://www.ebay.com/itm/Our-Living-World-Nature-Series-New-/230610511560

Aaaaaah! I saw the whole set of those books at the thrift shop a couple of weeks ago, but didn't buy them. Of course, I picked them up, thumbed through several of them, put a few in my buggy, changed my mind and put them back, went back over to look at a couple of them again---well, you know the rest of the story. Why didn't I have good, common sense and put them all in my buggy?

I love all of 8's book suggestions, and try to pick them up when I see them during my thrifting jaunts. I'll keep this set on my radar from now on!

Aaaaaah! I saw the whole set of those books at the thrift shop a couple of weeks ago, but didn't buy them. Of course, I picked them up, thumbed through several of them, put a few in my buggy, changed my mind and put them back, went back over to look at a couple of them again---well, you know the rest of the story. Why didn't I have good, common sense and put them all in my buggy?

Dd read one of them at the end of the yr last yr and absolutely fell in love w/the series.

The books were developed w/the US Dept of Interior. I was originally concerned about the age of the books, but after reading reviews like these http://www.amazon.com/Forest-Living-World-Nature-Series/product-reviews/0070448752/ref=dp_top_cm_cr_acr_txt?ie=UTF8&showViewpoints=1

http://www.amazon.com/Life-Cave-Living-World-Nature/product-reviews/0070426511/ref=dp_top_cm_cr_acr_txt?ie=UTF8&showViewpoints=1

I realized my concern was misguided. She learned a ton and discussed the topics w/great enthusiasm. She is excited about reading the rest of the series this yr.

Dd read one of them at the end of the yr last yr and absolutely fell in love w/the series.

The books were developed w/the US Dept of Interior. I was originally concerned about the age of the books, but after reading reviews like these http://www.amazon.com/Forest-Living-World-Nature-Series/product-reviews/0070448752/ref=dp_top_cm_cr_acr_txt?ie=UTF8&showViewpoints=1

http://www.amazon.com/Life-Cave-Living-World-Nature/product-reviews/0070426511/ref=dp_top_cm_cr_acr_txt?ie=UTF8&showViewpoints=1

I realized my concern was misguided. She learned a ton and discussed the topics w/great enthusiasm. She is excited about reading the rest of the series this yr.

Thank you for your recommendation! :) I knew these books looked special, but I couldn't decide how to use them.

Thank you for your recommendation! :) I knew these books looked special, but I couldn't decide how to use them.

Your welcome. :001_smile: Reading books like these are some of the highlights of my kids' homeschooling experience. Science is low key w/zero angst in our homeschool, yet it is also one of the subjects that inspires my kids the most.

And......my kids obviously love science since (w/the exception of our Aspie who struggles w/just about every adult type decision so what to do for a career is definitely one of those struggles so he simply has not made one) all of them have chosen science-related paths. I am having fun watching our 8th grader grow up. She loves languages which is a new experience for me. She wanted to add a 3rd lang this yr, Russian!!! (um, that one is a no go this yr. :tongue_smilie:) Yet, she also loves ornithology (it is her passion) and all things nature........so,talking in multiple languages and naturalist.....the only career I see matching is Dr. Doolittle!! :lol: Honestly, watching and waiting to see where this is going to lead is a ton of fun and one of the great joys in homeschooing!:001_smile:

Your welcome. :001_smile: Reading books like these are some of the highlights of my kids' homeschooling experience. Science is low key w/zero angst in our homeschool, yet it is also one of the subjects that inspires my kids the most.

And......my kids obviously love science since (w/the exception of our Aspie who struggles w/just about every adult type decision so what to do for a career is definitely one of those struggles so he simply has not made one) all of them have chosen science-related paths. I am having fun watching our 8th grader grow up. She loves languages which is a new experience for me. She wanted to add a 3rd lang this yr, Russian!!! (um, that one is a no go this yr. :tongue_smilie:) Yet, she also loves ornithology (it is her passion) and all things nature........so,talking in multiple languages and naturalist.....the only career I see matching is Dr. Doolittle!! :lol: Honestly, watching and waiting to see where this is going to lead is a ton of fun and one of the great joys in homeschooing!:001_smile:

Jumping in to ask if you just have your children read these books and discuss them or do you require them to write about them?

Thanks!

Lisa

Jumping in to ask if you just have your children read these books and discuss them or do you require them to write about them?

Thanks!

Lisa

Sometimes they do nothing but read. Sometimes they do formal discussion. I assign writing across curriculum, so about every 3 weeks or so they are assigned a writing topic from science. (Since these books take about 3-5 weeks for her to read, 1-2 writing assignments would be pulled from a single book.)

Just to give you an idea of how things like this play out in our house......the book dd read from the series last yr was The Life of Prairies and Plains. Her younger sister was doing Prairie Primer (Little House series). Dd would sit w/her younger sister and talk to her at length about what she was learning about the prairies. They would talk about this stuff for a long time. No assignment or discussion or formal anything was required b/c I could just eavesdrop and be thrilled w/the excitement of the animated discussion going on between the two of them.

When I say we are low key about science, we are. I don't do anything formal (nothing. Taboo on these forums. :lol: But definitely no formal experiments, no lab write-ups, no tests, no vocabulary memorization......;)) w/science until the high school credit science courses. But, my kids have plenty of opportunity to spend time exploring their interests on their own. Birdwatching/research for dd for example. Dark matter/astronomy for youngest ds. Building/engineering for oldest ds.

FWIW, my 11th grader entered a science competition w/1000s of entries last yr in 10th grade and won an honorable mention w/o any assistance from me at all. (students and teachers were recognized via the awards. I didn't even understand ds's entry!! :tongue_smilie:) So, from my perspective, w/my older kids' strengths/careers in science/science theory/research, the lack of formal science curriculum approach has proved highly successful despite (or b/c of!! who is to say ;)) the belief that w/o science experiments/labs in k8, etc, should destroy my children's science futures.

Another fwiw in case there are posters reading that are new and don't know "the rest of the story," low key does NOT mean little time spent on science. They read at least 30-45 mins on a science topic of their choice every single day from 3rd grade on. It is the "how" (not experiment/hands-on driven) and the "what" (whole books and not textbooks) that is different.

Edited by 8FillTheHeart

Agreeing with other posters. I wouldn't focus on fixing science and history right now. I would focus on math and writing skills. Those need to be up to par to make high school courses happen.

I consider the science you linked the best secular high school level science out there. It is AP level stuff. And it is researched based, meaning it does not have a textbook, but rather the student must search, dig, and think to access the required info. The TM does a great job of helping you lead your child through the process. And the labs are excellent!

Agreeing with other posters. I wouldn't focus on fixing science and history right now. I would focus on math and writing skills. Those need to be up to par to make high school courses happen.

I consider the science you linked the best secular high school level science out there. It is AP level stuff. And it is researched based, meaning it does not have a textbook, but rather the student must search, dig, and think to access the required info. The TM does a great job of helping you lead your child through the process. And the labs are excellent!

Thank you for that! I'm still a little overwhelmed as far as the high school aspect of it all.

Sometimes they do nothing but read. Sometimes they do formal discussion. I assign writing across curriculum, so about every 3 weeks or so they are assigned a writing topic from science. (Since these books take about 3-5 weeks for her to read, 1-2 writing assignments would be pulled from a single book.)

Just to give you an idea of how things like this play out in our house......the book dd read from the series last yr was The Life of Prairies and Plains. Her younger sister was doing Prairie Primer (Little House series). Dd would sit w/her younger sister and talk to her at length about what she was learning about the prairies. They would talk about this stuff for a long time. No assignment or discussion or formal anything was required b/c I could just eavesdrop and be thrilled w/the excitement of the animated discussion going on between the two of them.

When I say we are low key about science, we are. I don't do anything formal (nothing. Taboo on these forums. :lol: But definitely no formal experiments, no lab write-ups, no tests, no vocabulary memorization......;)) w/science until the high school credit science courses. But, my kids have plenty of opportunity to spend time exploring their interests on their own. Birdwatching/research for dd for example. Dark matter/astronomy for youngest ds. Building/engineering for oldest ds.

FWIW, my 11th grader entered a science competition w/1000s of entries last yr in 10th grade and won an honorable mention w/o any assistance from me at all. (students and teachers were recognized via the awards. I didn't even understand ds's entry!! :tongue_smilie:) So, from my perspective, w/my older kids' strengths/careers in science/science theory/research, the lack of formal science curriculum approach has proved highly successful despite (or b/c of!! who is to say ;)) the belief that w/o science experiments/labs in k8, etc, should destroy my children's science futures.

Another fwiw in case there are posters reading that are new and don't know "the rest of the story," low key does NOT mean little time spent on science. They read at least 30-45 mins on a science topic of their choice every single day from 3rd grade on. It is the "how" (not experiment/hands-on driven) and the "what" (whole books and not textbooks) that is different.

Well, thanks for sharing that. It certainly sounds like a pleasant approach with desirable results. I guess I just wonder if it would be a successful with my kids -- one child with a learning disability and the other a strong student, but with no signs of being particularly interested in science? I can see my dd reading books and enjoying them, but she wouldn't have a sibling to discuss them with. I may give it a try this year, though, and see how it goes. If I could simply spark some interest in the subject, I'd be thrilled.

Lisa

Edited by LisaTheresa

Well, thanks for sharing that. It certainly sounds like a pleasant approach with desirable results. I guess I just wonder if it would be a successful with my kids -- one child with a learning disability and the other a strong student, but with no signs of being particularly interested in science? I can see my dd reading books and enjoying them, but she wouldn't have a sibling to discuss them with. I may give it a try this year, though, and see how it goes. If I could simply spark some interest in the subject, I'd be thrilled.

Lisa

Honestly, I believe it is why my kids have such strong interests in science b/c it is built around their interests and whole books are far more engaging than textbooks. (Authors of whole books are typically passionate about their subjects vs. snippet textbook publications.)

Also, our oldest dd didn't really spend much time showing any interest in science specifically outside of school work other than asking to go to a forensic science camp one summer during high school (this was when she thought she wanted to major in forensic chemistry before she realized that it wasn't going to be like Abby's job on NCIS. :lol:) However, every career she has been interested has been science-related. Now she is serious about occupational therapy assistant and I for once I actually believe it won't change again. (She has been my most vascillating child!!)

At the minimum, it won't be detrimental to your dd. She will still be learning science. :001_smile:

Good news is you still have several years to research and get all your ducks in a row!

:iagree:

Taking it yr by yr will help you maintain your sanity all the way to the end, too. :lol: If I thought I had to have all the answers for all my kids now I would be completely overwhelmed (and I have already taught every single grade level 3x minimum!) I still don't have all the answers for them individually. I have never taught the same grade the same way twice b/c every child is unique and the entire advantage to homeschooling is to customize to meet their needs. I can't predict what those needs will be a yr from now. A general plan that leads to the path for college prep is about as close as I get until they have a strong enough vision of what they want their future to be (if they ever do......oldest dd didn't reach that pt in high school) At that pt, they start really making choices of their own about what they want to study. (For example, my 11th grader will have physics, chemistry, AP chemistry, 4 semesters of college physics, biology, 2 college level astronomy courses, 1 independent dark matter study.......all completed in 8th grade up. Those decisions have all been his once you get beyond basic bio, chem, and physics.)

Edited by 8FillTheHeart

Honestly, I believe it is why my kids have such strong interests in science b/c it is built around their interests and whole books are far more engaging than textbooks. (Authors of whole books are typically passionate about their subjects vs. snippet textbook publications.)

Also, our oldest dd didn't really spend much time showing any interest in science specifically outside of school work other than asking to go to a forensic science camp one summer during high school (this was when she thought she wanted to major in forensic chemistry before she realized that it wasn't going to be like Abby's job on NCIS. :lol:) However, every career she has been interested has been science-related. Now she is serious about occupational therapy assistant and I for once I actually believe it won't change again. (She has been my most vascillating child!!)

At the minimum, it won't be detrimental to your dd. She will still be learning science. :001_smile:

Thanks again! I agree that it can't hurt and it may help. I'm encouraged to give your approach a try.

Lisa

Oops.....I forgot the most important part. If you had asked me when our 11th grade ds was in 5th grade what he would be doing in high school, I would have guessed he would be doing very avg level work. He didn't learn to read on grade level until 4th grade and was a painfully slow reader just functioning w/in 5th grade reading in 5th grade. I could never have anticipated the rapidity w/which he would accelerate in all subjects (he was already accelerated in math), though he is still a very slow reader. Nor could I anticipate his personal drive and intense interest in physics.

Some things just unfold in front of you and you follow their lead. Even when they are older, they change. You change. Circumstances change. New materials become available. Focus on mastering the skills they are currently working on and keep moving forward and everything will fall into place. There is no need to stress and over-think about the future. There is plenty in the here and now. ;)

I agree with you to a certain extent; but I also want to have a sort of "skeleton" plan in place so that I at least know milestones or goals to hit/attempt for to know they are on the right track.

You should try listing out the goals and milestones you would like to see them achieve. Goals do not have to be tied to specific curriculum selections which are less likely to be accurate yrs down the road. But having goals of math level x match science subject y in grade 9 is ultimately the most important detail that should be considered for being on the right track of achieving goal z by graduation. That sort of skeleton plan is slightly different than worrying about whether or not covering topic x in 6th/7th grade is going to be too much or too little for preparing for high school level science.

FWIW, I have the general objective of students having completed alg 1 in 8th grade so that they can take chem in 9th prior to bio since today's bio courses are so biochem focused. Some of my kids have been way more advanced than that. So far none have been behind that. But it is just a general objective and not an inflexible goal.

But, I'm not sure that that type of loose planning is what you are seeking. It sounds like you want more specific long term goals. If that is what you need, you should write them down in detail. My main pt is that long-term planning is productive if it helps you feel more in control and guides your path. It is going to be counter-productive if it leaves you feeling overwhelmed and unable to focus on the present.

My main pt is that long-term planning is productive if it helps you feel more in control and guides your path. It is going to be counter-productive if it leaves you feeling overwhelmed and unable to focus on the present.

:iagree:

Also keep in mind that any plans you make will most likely change. That doesn't mean you shouldn't make plans or goals. They get you started and led you until things change.

Make the plan, but be willing to change as you go along.

I'm ok with the change. I think I'm just worried that what I'm choosing to do now is not going to be what I need it to be once we get to that point in the future. I'm not sure the order of things.... I'm better now, I've spent all weekend going over stuff; thought about changing science, and after looking at several different life sciences, I decided to stick with what I already decided to do. I'm not 100% as far as the rest, but at least now I see where I need to go. I think.

I'm ok with the change. I think I'm just worried that what I'm choosing to do now is not going to be what I need it to be once we get to that point in the future. I'm not sure the order of things.... I'm better now, I've spent all weekend going over stuff; thought about changing science, and after looking at several different life sciences, I decided to stick with what I already decided to do. I'm not 100% as far as the rest, but at least now I see where I need to go. I think.

W/ high school sciences the "order of things" is going to depend partly on what curriculum you use.

Apologia, for example, biology can be taken prior to chem or physics. Their suggested sequence is general in 7th, physical in 8th, bio 9th, chem 10th, physics 11th, and an advanced course in 12th. Though, none of their courses are required to be taken prior to the other (w/the exception of the advanced courses.)

I am not an Apologia fan, so that was not meant as an endorsement. ;)

The biology texts I prefer (Campbell/Reece) are strong molecular based biology books. That approach means that bio should follow, not precede, chem.

Chemistry requires basic alg skills, so that is often why students end up starting w/bio first b/c their math math skills are not up to par for other science pre-req. But, that leaves the student taking a bio course that is more ecological/community systems vs. cellular structures and processes (which require understanding basic chem)

Physics requires strong alg skills and a grasp of sin/cos/tan.

So "what is required" is more along the lines of:

chemistry--pre-req of alg

biology--if biochem processes are the focus, a pre-req of chem is strongly advised

physics--pre-req of mastery of alg and grasp of sin/cos/tan (obviously for alg based physics. Cal-based physics obviously has the pre-req of calculus.)

But, those are the only real "pre-req issues" that really come into play. Everything else they do prior to those classes will be helpful in terms of previous exposure and general understanding, but they are not actually required in order for students to succeed in the class. So, if your student is taking a life science course that will be useful in the sense that it has exposed your student to some of the lower level concepts encountered in a high school biology class. But using curriculum X life science is not going to determine the success or failure of a student that jumps into curriculum Y biology. A student w/no life science course can also take the Y biology course b/c it is going to assume no pre-req biology knowledge and teach it on an introductory level covering all necessary topics.

So, everything they study in K up prior to high school level courses is about exposure to general topics, terminology, theory, etc. When it comes right down to it, it may be argued that math may make or break the success of many science courses that students take in high school.

Does that help at all?

W/ high school sciences the "order of things" is going to depend partly on what curriculum you use.

Apologia, for example, biology can be taken prior to chem or physics. Their suggested sequence is general in 7th, physical in 8th, bio 9th, chem 10th, physics 11th, and an advanced course in 12th. Though, none of their courses are required to be taken prior to the other (w/the exception of the advanced courses.)

I am not an Apologia fan, so that was not meant as an endorsement. ;)

The biology texts I prefer (Campbell/Reece) are strong molecular based biology books. That approach means that bio should follow, not precede, chem.

Chemistry requires basic alg skills, so that is often why students end up starting w/bio first b/c their math math skills are not up to par for other science pre-req. But, that leaves the student taking a bio course that is more ecological/community systems vs. cellular structures and processes (which require understanding basic chem)

Physics requires strong alg skills and a grasp of sin/cos/tan.

So "what is required" is more along the lines of:

chemistry--pre-req of alg

biology--if biochem processes are the focus, a pre-req of chem is strongly advised

physics--pre-req of mastery of alg and grasp of sin/cos/tan (obviously for alg based physics. Cal-based physics obviously has the pre-req of calculus.)

But, those are the only real "pre-req issues" that really come into play. Everything else they do prior to those classes will be helpful in terms of previous exposure and general understanding, but they are not actually required in order for students to succeed in the class. So, if your student is taking a life science course that will be useful in the sense that it has exposed your student to some of the lower level concepts encountered in a high school biology class. But using curriculum X life science is not going to determine the success or failure of a student that jumps into curriculum Y biology. A student w/no life science course can also take the Y biology course b/c it is going to assume no pre-req biology knowledge and teach it on an introductory level covering all necessary topics.

So, everything they study in K up prior to high school level courses is about exposure to general topics, terminology, theory, etc. When it comes right down to it, it may be argued that math may make or break the success of many science courses that students take in high school.

Does that help at all?

yes and actually makes me feel more secure in my desire to save biology for DD till the later years of hs so I know she's getting closer to college level Bio.