Menu

Paddle boards. Anyone have one?

DD13 saw someone paddle boarding when we were at the lake kayaking recently. She said she would really like to try it. Her and her freind who were with us, spent a good portion of the afternoon, standing up in the kayaks and paddling them around like paddle boards LOL.

If I wanted to buy one, what would I look for? We would use it on the lake not ocean, if that matters. I will likely hit up Craigslist so I won't have a salesman to help me. Any idea of a price range?

If you have one, what is your experience with it?

:lol: That is soooo not what I thought you meant by paddle board! :001_huh::lol: I wondered how fast this thread would get deleted. :tongue_smilie: Carry on with your excellent, healthy pursuits. Obviously I have never even heard of a sport called paddle boarding. :tongue_smilie:

They are SUPER FUN and sadly $$. We've tested them out a couple times and I have decided that we love them enough that I want one for our month at the beach this fall, so I am currently shopping for one. (And DH is outfitting the minivan with a trailer to haul all this stuff as our boats/etc will no longer fit on top, lol.)

It seems to me that $900 or so is about as cheap as you can get a board+paddle. They seem to be $1000-$1500 in general, with >$1500 being more for competitive wave-surfing folks and $1000-$1300 seeming to be the basic model.

I want one with a foam layer on top b/c I want to be able to do yoga on it. :) (A nice idea for lake use, too!) Many have a full (or nearly full) foam top. That is really comfy, too, if you might have multiple people/kids on it at a time. (We had three girls at a time on one at the beach a couple weeks ago!) Length is related to weight of users. If you have a user that will be >160 #, then you will want to go with a slightly longer one. Width seems related to style (lake = wider, surf = narrower) and skill level (more skilled in surfing wants narrower b/c it is more maneuverable).

They are a relatively new craze, so I don't have a lot of optimism about finding one used. If you find one, snatch it fast!

Good luck!

:lol: That is soooo not what I thought you meant by paddle board! :001_huh::lol: I wondered how fast this thread would get deleted. :tongue_smilie: Carry on with your excellent, healthy pursuits. Obviously I have never even heard of a sport called paddle boarding. :tongue_smilie:

Oh my word! What have YOU been reading lately? :lol::lol:

:lol: I didn't understand it either! I was picturing the big wooden board principals used to threaten to paddle kids with back in the day. :tongue_smilie:

I saw one at BJ's Wholesale for $399. My paddle board teacher said $800 gets you a great, quality board that will last many years and be very dependable, so spend a little more. I've decided that sinc the weekly paddle trips are only $10, I'll spend my money there! Love SUP!