Menu

Planning for next year...

Reflections

:willy_nilly::willy_nilly:<-------------- This is me trying to finish up planning for our next year which starts August 6th.

:banghead:<-------- And this is me trying to do it with my two year old who is perfecting the fine art of screaming, my husband who is finishing up summer classes and cutting up the enormous tree that fell in our backyard (yes, thank you Derecho for the week long vaca and the gift that keeps on giving), and a very bored seven year old who asked me if we could start school a week earlier than planned - which of course left me like this ------->:001_huh::svengo::blink:

Anyone else??? My misery would love some company.

:willy_nilly::willy_nilly:<-------------- This is me trying to finish up planning for our next year which starts August 6th.

:banghead:<-------- And this is me trying to do it with my two year old who is perfecting the fine art of screaming, my husband who is finishing up summer classes and cutting up the enormous tree that fell in our backyard (yes, thank you Derecho for the week long vaca and the gift that keeps on giving), and a very bored seven year old who asked me if we could start school a week earlier than planned - which of course left me like this ------->:001_huh::svengo::blink:

Yes I can relate. We weren't supposed to start back until September 1. But I decided to push it up two weeks. So we start late August. However every time I sit down to get things done something else needs my immediate attention. So, though I have more than enough time technically to prepare for next year. My reality makes the time I have limited. (sigh) Oh the joys of hs. :ohmy:

I'm usually completely done by now, but we've had such a crazy summer. My dh is laid off, we hit a deer and had to have the car repaired. Dh is going back to school, and broke his hand in June. He had to have surgery to put pins in it. I had a terrible nosebleed on July 4th and ended up having surgery to fix my deviated septum this week, and they found a mass in my sinus cavity. I did not do well with the anesthesia (never been put to sleep before) and am not tolerating the medicines very well.

My in-laws come next Thursday for the whole weekend, and we're supposed to go to Ohio to see some more family the week before we start school (13th). So I basically have half of next week and the end of July/first of August to get everything ready. I hope it's going to be a better school year than the summer!

:grouphug:

There are lots of us in the same boat.

Maybe your 7 year-old would like to play with Aha! Science? It's really neat! My sympathies on the screamer. I know what that's like. :tongue_smilie:

That does look really neat!! I am having trouble understanding the pricing though - is it $15 a month or a year or a lifetime.

The Screamer was such an easygoing baby, too. I really don't understand what happened. And when I put him in time out for it he sits there and repeasts after me "Yes. No throw. Yes. No scream. " And he is so darn cute saying it I can't help but smile and kiss him. Sigh. At some point he'll grow out of it. Just hopefully not the cute part.

Edited by KatherineTheGreat
redundency

Yes I can relate. We weren't supposed to start back until September 1. But I decided to push it up two weeks. So we start late August. However every time I sit down to get things done something else needs my immediate attention. So, though I have more than enough time technically to prepare for next year. My reality makes the time I have limited. (sigh) Oh the joys of hs. :ohmy:

:iagree: It is one of the pitfalls. I have been sort of stern with my husband about this issue. He is taking the boys on a field trip tomorrow.

I'm in the same boat. Our new year starts Monday. :001_huh: Thought I was all planned out two weeks ago, but have been spending a couple hours each day since Tuesday tweaking. I also have a bored 8yo and a screaming toddler making things interesting. ;)

Do the two of them ever tag team scream, like mine? Some days I wish I had time for Calgon.

I'm usually completely done by now, but we've had such a crazy summer. My dh is laid off, we hit a deer and had to have the car repaired. Dh is going back to school, and broke his hand in June. He had to have surgery to put pins in it. I had a terrible nosebleed on July 4th and ended up having surgery to fix my deviated septum this week, and they found a mass in my sinus cavity. I did not do well with the anesthesia (never been put to sleep before) and am not tolerating the medicines very well.

My in-laws come next Thursday for the whole weekend, and we're supposed to go to Ohio to see some more family the week before we start school (13th). So I basically have half of next week and the end of July/first of August to get everything ready. I hope it's going to be a better school year than the summer!

I'll tell you what - you DESERVE to have a smooth as silk school year! :grouphug::grouphug:

Oh! I will stop complaining now. That is rough - hope things get a bit more 'normal' soon! :grouphug:

I say let the 7 year old be bored and give yourself that week to get your plans together! Sounds like you could use the extra time!! My kids have said they are bored to, to which I reply "you're only bored if you're boring.". Their response was making up a song about being bored and how their mom makes them play outside - it was funny, even had counterpoint melody in there - but you know what, at least they aren't bored!:tongue_smilie:

The heat maybe?? I too am quickly losing the will to keep on peddling. I feel like I'm so not so slowly losing my mind.

Oh, the heat is killing me!! :svengo: I'm so done with summer, and yes, it's making me totally unmotivated too.

I did sit down this afternoon and schedule out our first three weeks. At least I know we can start, and hopefully once we are rolling, I'll have the energy to plan further, LOL!!

If it makes anyone feel better, we are starting August 6th, and just decided TODAY what math program we're using!! :D

I'm in the same boat! I usually have things just about squared away by now, we are starting Aug. 6th, but I just am now finishing with dc #1. Still have my order from Rainbow Resource, that has a ton of books, that have not arrived yet. One is on back order! Ugh!

I am sending my dh and dc on their own vacation for 3 days so maybe I can focus on the rest of my planning!

I'm trying not to sweat it....if we have to start a little later, well, so be it then!

Good Luck everyone!

I say let the 7 year old be bored and give yourself that week to get your plans together! Sounds like you could use the extra time!! My kids have said they are bored to, to which I reply "you're only bored if you're boring.". Their response was making up a song about being bored and how their mom makes them play outside - it was funny, even had counterpoint melody in there - but you know what, at least they aren't bored!:tongue_smilie:

That is too funny :lol: !

Yeah, I'm not going to give in to ds7, I'm just going to give him extra stuff to do.:tongue_smilie:

I am actually looking forward to the school year after this crazy summer, which is a first for me :D. Normally, I'm dreading the start of school.

We are doing things a lot different this year, so I've been studying, shopping (lots of shopping :lol:), planning, etc. I'm almost done deciding on and buying the curriculum. But, then I will have to figure out the schedule, and I'm half afraid that I am putting too much on their plates :glare: Hopefully not, though. We will find out the first week of school.

My kids know better than to say they are bored :lol:

I felt a little better today, so I got busy. I've got a lot of planning done on paper for both kids, and dd helped me pull apart some of ds's workbooks. I've got 3 subjects of his filed for the year.

Thanks for this thread. It really is getting me motivated. I want to enjoy the school year, and I know I will more if I'm ready to go August 13th!

I am actually looking forward to the school year after this crazy summer, which is a first for me :D. Normally, I'm dreading the start of school.

We are doing things a lot different this year, so I've been studying, shopping (lots of shopping :lol:), planning, etc. I'm almost done deciding on and buying the curriculum. But, then I will have to figure out the schedule, and I'm half afraid that I am putting too much on their plates :glare: Hopefully not, though. We will find out the first week of school.

My kids know better than to say they are bored :lol:

Shopping is THE FUN part. :D

I have a lot planned to, ....probably too much.

I felt a little better today, so I got busy. I've got a lot of planning done on paper for both kids, and dd helped me pull apart some of ds's workbooks. I've got 3 subjects of his filed for the year.

Thanks for this thread. It really is getting me motivated. I want to enjoy the school year, and I know I will more if I'm ready to go August 13th!

Anything to help :grouphug:.

Anything to help :grouphug:.

My dh and I sat down and talked about the time we have until starting school, and we aren't going out of town the week before school! I convinced him that we should wait until his fall break (he's in school, too) because our niece will have had the baby by then. If we go in August, we'll have to wait until Christmas to see him.

I feel so much better knowing I don't have to be gone the week before we start!

My dh and I sat down and talked about the time we have until starting school, and we aren't going out of town the week before school! I convinced him that we should wait until his fall break (he's in school, too) because our niece will have had the baby by then. If we go in August, we'll have to wait until Christmas to see him.

I feel so much better knowing I don't have to be gone the week before we start!

I know exactly how you feel. My husband was talking about going on vacation this last week of July and I just 'bout blew a gasket. I very calmly explained that I really didn't think it would be possible and then I said: "you know it'll be cheaper if we go in September during Homeschool Days", and then of course, that sealed it!:D

I know exactly how you feel. My husband was talking about going on vacation this last week of July and I just 'bout blew a gasket. I very calmly explained that I really didn't think it would be possible and then I said: "you know it'll be cheaper if we go in September during Homeschool Days", and then of course, that sealed it!:D

Although if you could get him to take a vacation with the kids and leave you home, then you could really get some planning done!

I am absolutely in the same boat! :willy_nilly:

This will be my first year of having both dc home (dd has always gone to ps) and I am freaking out about teaching more than one grade at a time. I have NO idea how other homeschooling moms teach multiple grades. I guess I'm going to find out, sink or swim!

I did get through two weeks of math planning today, but who knows how successfully we will be able to stick to the plans.

I am absolutely in the same boat! :willy_nilly:

This will be my first year of having both dc home (dd has always gone to ps) and I am freaking out about teaching more than one grade at a time. I have NO idea how other homeschooling moms teach multiple grades. I guess I'm going to find out, sink or swim!

I did get through two weeks of math planning today, but who knows how successfully we will be able to stick to the plans.

That is always nagging at me in the back of my mind, too.

FWIW I find that sometimes ignoring that you have to plan and walk in circles around the curricula and watch the 'general' board disintegrate into mass mayhem is helpful - guilt is a good motivator.