Menu

x-post: Independent spelling program for mediocre 8th-grade speller?

Janie Grace

Dd13 has always struggled with spelling, despite being an avid reader and a bright kid. She learned to read early and perhaps I abandoned phonics too soon, or maybe it's just not a natural strength. We have used SS, PZ, and other programs. At this point, I'm just looking for a workbook-type program that she could self-correct. She is motivated to improve and not be *entirely* dependent on spell-check for her adult life. Thanks!

There are free spelling workbooks for grades 6-12 from Glencoe. I can't get the link to paste from my phone, but if you search for free spelling workbook for grades 6-12 it should come up. The program is called Spelling Power. I think it looks like a really good program for free. I am thinking about using this when my girls are older.

AL

My son used Spelling Workout independently and I would recommend it...His spelling has improved greatly over last year...The only reason we are not using it this upcoming year is we are switching to Memoria Press and they use Rod & Staff...He feels confident enough to switch now...

Some don't like Spelling Workout, but it worked great for us...

I've seen this one called Apples - not to be confused with the popular Apples and Pears. :D

http://www.christianbook.com/apples-daily-spelling-drills-secondary-students/susan-kemmerer/9780975854303/pd/727011?item_code=WW&netp_id=267934&event=ESRCG&view=details

It's rules-based spelling geared toward older students.

That looks really good -- thanks!