Menu

Book of Centuries

fourcatmom

This is one of the last pieces that I need to figure out. I was originally planning on making my own, or her own and printing out pages from Notebooking.com but now I am leaning towards just buying one.

Can you share with me what you use or have used? If you have made your own, do you have a post of pictures of it where I can view it?

I have found some printed pages on Rainbow but I don't really know if those are worth the cost.

http://www.rainbowresource.com/product/sku/036991/7f813810fe4e3a3ea8f8763c

I love the Red book but I not sure about being confined to one book and not being able to add to it.

Or there is this Step by Step guide to the Book of Centuries

http://www.cynthiahancox.com/bookofcenturies.html

Thanks!

We have started to put together our Add-a-Century timeline.

http://addacentury.com/

Disadvantages:

--more expensive than Book of Centuries

--I'm having trouble with the stickers for connecting one page to the other. (They come undone.) I am hoping my next fix (packing tape) will correct this problem.

--There is no room for poems and essays and things that personalize and "make the Book of Centuries your own!"

Advantages:

--Comes in a large 3 ring binder

or

--May be hung on the wall

or

--Several pages (centuries/decades) may be taken out of the book at a time to look at side by side; then folded back into the book.

--Divides timeline into categories of:

History

Government & Politics

War

Science & Technology

Church & Religion

Art & Music

Literature & Theater

Fictional Characters

Life

**This is nice because one aspect of history can be related to a different part of history. Example: Rise of Twitter (Sci & Technology) came just before Arab Spring (War or History); Martin Luther and his 95 Theses in 1517 (Church and religion) occurred about the same time that Henry VIII divorced wife #1 Catherine of Aragon ~1725 (Politics & Government)

--Each 2 page spread can be divided into whatever time division works for you. So far I have:

1600-1899: divided into 50 years/2 pages

1900-present: divided into 10 years/2 pages

I am trying to decide if I want the 1500s to be 50 years/2 pages or to jump to 100 years/2 pages in that time period and prior.

As I move further back in time, I will have a longer time period on a 2 page spread. I haven't figured this out totally, but I'm sure the company has recommendations based on their experience. They will conceivably go back to 2000 or 3000 BC.

I also plan to use markers to put colored stripes at the top of pages with similar time periods. For example, all the 10-year spreads will be Blue. All the 50 year spreads will be Purple. All the 100 year spreads will be green. As my children get older, this will be an easy way to explain that 2 pages at the back of the book (2001-2010 CE) is not the same as 2 pages at the beginning of the book (2000 - 1800 BC, for example).

--Add-A-Century also has a "ribbon timeline" for the sparse human history prior to 3000 BC. There is a video on the Add-A-Century website of how to use this. I have not purchased one yet.

--More years can be added at any time.

--This will be a tool that dd5 will use, add to, and refer to for the next 12 years. As she cycles through the Classical Model of History (Ancient, Middle Ages, Early Modern, Modern), referring to her timeline of 4 years before will jar her memory of things she had learned previously. Then she will add more to her timeline to reflect what she has learned.

Most families only have one set for their children to share, but I am planning to purchase a second set for dd1 because I have heard about fighting among others' children about "who gets to take the timeline off to college as a resource."

Can I just say that it drives me crazy that every single timeline product I see uses the B.C./A.D. dating terminology, as opposed to using B.C.E./C.E.? I want to incorporate dates according to the Jewish calendar/dating system, and I thought I could mark those in on a commercial timeline using the Gregorian calendar, but the B.C./A.D. thing is a deal breaker for me. I think I am going to have to have my husband design our timeline for us.

Can I just say that it drives me crazy that every single timeline product I see uses the B.C./A.D. dating terminology, as opposed to using B.C.E./C.E.? I want to incorporate dates according to the Jewish calendar/dating system, and I thought I could mark those in on a commercial timeline using the Gregorian calendar, but the B.C./A.D. thing is a deal breaker for me. I think I am going to have to have my husband design our timeline for us.

I hear you.

There is someone on here who made one going back to very ancient times, instead of the young earth variety, too, but I forgot who.

I hear you.

There is someone on here who made one going back to very ancient times, instead of the young earth variety, too, but I forgot who.

I would be interested in how others do this.

Our early divisions are:

Cosmological Period--(starting with Big Bang)

Geological Period--(starting with the formation of Earth)

Archaeological Period--(prehistory)

Historical/Political Period--(starting around 7,000 BCE)

We will then start the centuries.

(At least that's the plan. ;))

Quote:

Originally Posted by stripe viewpost.gif

I hear you.

I would be interested in how others do this.

Our early divisions are:

Cosmological Period--(starting with Big Bang)

Geological Period--(starting with the formation of Earth)

Archaeological Period--(prehistory)

Historical/Political Period--(starting around 7,000 BCE)

We will then start the centuries.

(At least that's the plan. ;))

I imagine one would need to do a little drive in the car for Cosmological and Geological Periods. :auto:

And a bike for Archeological Period. (need a bike smiley)

Use the ribbon time line at Add-a-Century for Historical/Political period. (It's the 3rd video, at the bottom of the page).

http://addacentury.com/index.php?main_page=page&id=2

I imagine one would need to do a little drive in the car for Cosmological and Geological Periods. :auto:

And a bike for Archeological Period. (need a bike smiley)

Use the ribbon time line at Add-a-Century for Historical/Political period. (It's the 3rd video, at the bottom of the page).

http://addacentury.com/index.php?main_page=page&id=2

Yes, quite a lot of ribbon indeed. ;)

We might take the "all-time calendar" approach described in The Early Human World (Oxford University Press). At the bottom of each page (under other notes etc.) we will write a calender (12 month timeline) showing the months for the early periods and eventually a clock with second hand. Obviously once we get to written history we are nearing the ball drop on New Year's Eve.

That should save a good bit of ribbon. ;)

I found a Carl Sagan video on the cosmic calendar. It makes much more sense than my explanation above. :)

Instead of using squares for months, we will have the months running along the bottom or down the sides of the first few pages of our book of centuries and then a clock.

I think deciding how do set up the Book of Centuries is the hardest part. Now that we've actually started it, it's quite fun!

Edited by Hilltop Academy

. . .

--Each 2 page spread can be divided into whatever time division works for you. So far I have:

1600-1899: divided into 50 years/2 pages

1900-present: divided into 10 years/2 pages

I am trying to decide if I want the 1500s to be 50 years/2 pages or to jump to 100 years/2 pages in that time period and prior.

As I move further back in time, I will have a longer time period on a 2 page spread. I haven't figured this out totally, but I'm sure the company has recommendations based on their experience. They will conceivably go back to 2000 or 3000 BC.

I also plan to use markers to put colored stripes at the top of pages with similar time periods. For example, all the 10-year spreads will be Blue. All the 50 year spreads will be Purple. All the 100 year spreads will be green. As my children get older, this will be an easy way to explain that 2 pages at the back of the book (2001-2010 CE) is not the same as 2 pages at the beginning of the book (2000 - 1800 BC, for example).

This is the part I am trying to decide now. I think I like the idea of modern times having fewer years on each spread. The colored strips at the top is a good idea to help make the change easily recognizable. I might use that or something similar. Thanks!

Ah. Bummer. I didn't realize until later in the thread that these are all Young Earth leaning timelines... or am I mistaken?

Assuming I'm correct, are there NO resources for a timeline more Old Earth leaning?

I have to be honest with myself - without a premade timeline book, it won't get done here :D.

http://www.montessoriservices.com/elementary/cosmic-education/time-line-of-life

http://www.montessoriservices.com/elementary/cosmic-education/long-black-strip

http://www.montessoriservices.com/elementary/human-history/the-time-line-of-early-humans

These are really pretty. But---$$$$$!!!!

Other than making them yourself somehow I don't know of any others. The best I can figure out is to just read about it without the timeline.

The Usborne Book of Prehistory is nice for younger kids. http://www.enchantedlearning.com/subjects/Geologictime.html My oldest has looked at this a few times.

Okay, I finally found the one I was thinking of.

WTM Member Geek made it.

Here is a thread about it

http://forums.welltrainedmind.com/showthread.php?t=197594

It begins with the precambrian age. I think the scale changes throughout. It's 175 p. long, and it uses BC/AD.

The file is at

http://www.keepandshare.com/doc/1330617/geek-s-old-earth-history-timeline-adobe-acroba?tr=77

• 1 month later...

Just want to mention - I know it's an old thread, but I do sell a Jewish Book of Centuries, if you haven't made one already. (mine was a heck of a lot of work to make, so I hope you haven't gone to much trouble yet...!!!)

Click here to preview/buy it at CurrClick.