Menu

1 yr American History for 3rd grader....

It seems we have failed yet another history curriculum, and will probably be switching over to SOTW. However, I would like to get in another year of American History before starting in on that, mainly because of all the wonderful read-alouds we planned on using if we continued into American History with Sonlight next year.

The reasons I am NOT wanting to do Sonlight...it just takes too much time here, and seems too choppy switching from one book to another constantly. And honestly, I wouldn't be utilizing half the program so I can't see justifying the price.

I love the looks of America The Beautiful by Notrgrass, but thinking it is not really for her age range.

I also absolutely love love love the Time Travelers CD's, but it doesn't look like something you can get done in 1 year : )

Can anyone share what they have used?

How about All American History? The main text is designed for 5th - 8th graders but certainly not over the head of a 3rd grader (we are using this with 6th, 4th and 2nd this year). There is also a AAH Jr. supplement you can purchase and download. There are 2 volumes but you could spend less time on each lesson and complete 2 in 1 year. My plan for my younger students is to summarize each lesson in my own words (after reading it), do a read aloud or 2 for each unit, add in some fun projects (our library has a ton of American History type project books) and do some copywork related to each unit. You can look at samples at http://www.brightideaspress.com. There is also a FREE curriculum at http://www.guesthollow.com designed for a 3rd grader (I think). You can choose to do as much or as little from the list. HTH.

A Child's Story of America would work for a third grader. The company that makes it includes it with their fourth grade package, but it's not that difficult. The Google preview on that link is extensive and will give you a good idea of what it's like. Disclaimer: I own this, and have read portions myself, but I haven't used it with my kids yet. We enjoyed the American Pioneers and Patriots they use for third grade last year (though it wasn't our spine).