Menu

Favorite vegetarian beans and rice recipes?

I'm looking for really good made-from-scratch recipes for spicy beans and rice. Do you prefer red or black beans? Brown or white rice? What type of spices do you use? I'm incorporating more legumes in to our diet and really don't want to use the canned version, which a lot of the recipes I'm finding call for.

I'm also interested in what types of side dishes you like to serve with when it's beans and rice night for dinner.

Thanks everyone!

Blessings,

Lucinda

Fejouada.

INGREDIENTS

1 pound (450 grams) dry black beans

4 Tbsp olive oil

1 pound (450 grams) pork shoulder, cut into chunks

2 large onions, sliced

1 head of garlic, peeled and chopped

1 pound (450 grams) carne seca or corned beef, cut into chunks

1/2 pound (225 grams) fresh sausages, such as chorizo or Italian sausage

1 pound (450 grams) smoked sausage, such as linguica or kielbasa

1 smoked ham hock or shank

3-4 bay leaves

Water

1 14.5 ounce can (411 grams) of crushed tomatoes

Salt

METHOD

1 Pour boiling water over the black beans and let them sit while you prepare the rest of the stew.

2 Heat the olive oil in a large pot over medium-high heat and brown the pork shoulder. When it has browned, remove the meat from the pot, set aside and add the onions to the pot. Brown them, stirring occasionally, scraping up any browned bits from the bottom of the pot. Sprinkle a little salt over the onions and add the garlic. Stir well and sauté 2 more minutes.

3 Add back the pork shoulder, and the other meats and add enough water to cover. Add the bay leaves, cover and bring to a simmer. Cook gently for 1 hour. Drain the black beans from their soaking liquid and add them to the stew. Simmer gently, covered, until the beans are tender, about an hour and a half.

4 Add the tomatoes, stir well and taste for salt, adding if it's needed. Simmer this, uncovered, until the meat begins to fall off the ham hock, which will probably take 2-3 hours.

Serve with white rice and hot sauce. A classic side dish would be sautéed collard greens.

I've made it without meat, but when I do, I make sure I add a Whole Squeezed Orange. Yep, an orange. I've also made it a lot with just one ham hock, and it's still crazy delish (with the orange!). So it translates well into vegetarian, I guess is what I'm trying to say. I DO add a tiny smudge of cumin, too. Not to make it taste like chili, but to give it a deep base flavor.

When people make me fejouada, I am putty in their hands. :D

Edited by justamouse

Spicy fresh mexican version:

Will need:

4 large tomato

1 red onion

6 jalepeno

1 bunch fresh cilantro

2 cups dry pinto beans

2 cups jasmine rice

salt and pepper

day before:

Make pico de gallo with produce - wash and dice tomato (blanched), red onion, jalepeno and cilantro. Mix and season to taste with salt and pepper. cover and refrigerate.

morning of:

Throw 2 cups of pinto beans into crock pot with 2.5Tbs salt. Add water to cover beans by 3 inches. Cook on low 8 hours.

dinner time:

make rice (3 cup water/2 cup rice - bring to boil then low 20 min)

mix everything together

yummy cheap healthy dinner

Fejouada.

I've made it without meat, but when I do, I make sure I add a Whole Squeezed Orange. Yep, an orange. I've also made it a lot with just one ham hock, and it's still crazy delish (with the orange!). So it translates well into vegetarian, I guess is what I'm trying to say. I DO add a tiny smudge of cumin, too. Not to make it taste like chili, but to give it a deep base flavor.

When people make me fejouada, I am putty in their hands. :D

This looks really good, but hard for me to imagine a dish that calls for so MUCH meat to still be as delish without. :001_unsure:

Spicy fresh mexican version:

Will need:

4 large tomato

1 red onion

6 jalepeno

1 bunch fresh cilantro

2 cups dry pinto beans

2 cups jasmine rice

salt and pepper

day before:

Make pico de gallo with produce - wash and dice tomato (blanched), red onion, jalepeno and cilantro. Mix and season to taste with salt and pepper. cover and refrigerate.

morning of:

Throw 2 cups of pinto beans into crock pot with 2.5Tbs salt. Add water to cover beans by 3 inches. Cook on low 8 hours.

dinner time:

make rice (3 cup water/2 cup rice - bring to boil then low 20 min)

mix everything together

yummy cheap healthy dinner

I like this one a lot! Have you ever tried it with black beans? I wonder if it would still be the right consistency?

Thank you, ladies! If anyone else has recipes to add, I'm all :bigear:s.

Blessings,

Lucinda

This looks really good, but hard for me to imagine a dish that calls for so MUCH meat to still be as delish without. :001_unsure:

Blessings,

Lucinda

It really is. I promise. That orange, garlic, onion and dash of cumin deepen it (a couple strips of pepper is good, too). You mash it up so it's thick and soupy and pour it over the rice.

Then, what we do is fry and egg (this is the ONLY time I like eggs over easy) and serve that on top. The yolk runs down into the beans and it is amazing.

Promise!

It really is. I promise. That orange, garlic, onion and dash of cumin deepen it (a couple strips of pepper is good, too). You mash it up so it's thick and soupy and pour it over the rice.

Then, what we do is fry and egg (this is the ONLY time I like eggs over easy) and serve that on top. The yolk runs down into the beans and it is amazing.

Promise!

Okay then, I'll give it a try. And the egg on top sounds really good!

Thanks,

Lucinda