Menu

Anyone had complications with Chicken Pox?

Dh 12 (just turned 12 today!) has had a nasty case of chicken pox. He started with a fever on Sunday night, then his fever broke Tuesday night, and he majorly broke out with rash on Wednesday.

He's actually been feeling a little better, just itchy, until this afternoon when his fever returned. I took him to the clinic and we are waiting for bloodwork to see if he has an infection.

Trying not to worry here, but I thought that when a fever broke with a virus, it didn't return unless there is a secondary infection.

Anyone have experience here?

Dh 12 (just turned 12 today!) has had a nasty case of chicken pox. He started with a fever on Sunday night, then his fever broke Tuesday night, and he majorly broke out with rash on Wednesday.

He's actually been feeling a little better, just itchy, until this afternoon when his fever returned. I took him to the clinic and we are waiting for bloodwork to see if he has an infection.

Trying not to worry here, but I thought that when a fever broke with a virus, it didn't return unless there is a secondary infection.

I had it at 12 too. It was awful. I still remember how horribly sick I felt. It's so much harder on older kids, but I'm not sure that counts as a complication. We rode it out. My 10-year-old brother was dog-sick like me, but the 4 and seven-year-old siblings were merely inconvenienced.

You can possibly get an anti-viral prescription. My son had a horrible case at 18 months and finally started the prescription. It was awesome!! Also, as a side note... all over his face...make sure it stays oiled up to help with not scarring. (So Vaseline or I did a witches brew of all kinds of healthy oils. I got them from the health food store. Jojoba oil, essential oils... wouldn't do tea tree oil.. but oils like lavender and such... :))

Even if it is a secondary infection I would not worry unless the doc is concerned. My kids have gotten secondary infections before, and a round of antibiotics cleared it right up. That would be mild compared to some complication from CP. I hope he feels better quickly.

I second PP about minimizing scarring. I still have scars on my hand and face. :glare:

Thanks! CBC came back and didn't indicate infection. Still not sure why the recurring fever.

We intentionally did not vaccinate for CP, thinking that it would be better in the long run if they got natural chicken pox when there were young.

I'm really rethinking that now. And in anycase, waiting to age 11/12 to vaccinate was too late. This virus is NASTY, and much worse than I remember. My ds has been sick, sick, sick.

I think most kids recover quickly...like I did as a child...but when it's bad, it's bad.

Complications from chicken pox are not unusual. Out of 1000 children who contract chicken pox, 100 will require medical attention, 50 will suffer from infected blisters and 2 will need to be hospitalized for serious complications. Most children will recover without complications, but it is wise to be on the lookout for them.

Some complications from chickenpox won't show up for weeks, so keep an eye on your child for at least a month after the illness is "over". Of course, it's never really "over", since chickenpox will settle in a nerve along the spine and lie dormant. It can reappear later in life as shingles.

Watch for signs of pneumonia, encephalitis, arthritic type joint soreness, or an unsteady gait. Get to the doctor if you're suspicious of anything you feel is unusual. Since your child is an adolescent, expect chickenpox to be worse, even if no complications arise. The older you are...the worse this disease is.

I got CP at 17 and it wasn't a big deal at all. I ran a mild fever and had the pox and that was it. I wasn't that sick. My son at 7 was more ill with cp than I was at 17. My sister was 14 and had it at the same time. It wasn't a big deal for her either. The most difficult part for us was that we were ill for spring break! We remember being annoyed we had to stay inside and being very bored. There was no trauma.

ds13 had a secondary infection with his pox when he was 3, he developed skin infections under his foreskin. It was not fun and resulted in trips to the urologist, repeated infections and putting cream under his foreskin, but we both survived the ordeal without long term complications. My other 2 kids that have had pox never had secondary infections or any complications. Of the 3 that have had it thus far, only 1 has 1 scar, ds8 has a pox scar by his eye, otherwise they have none.

My mom got it in her 3rd trimester with me and delivered early, I got my spots at 2 days old. That was the extent of her complications.

Complications from chicken pox are not unusual. Out of 1000 children who contract chicken pox, 100 will require medical attention, 50 will suffer from infected blisters and 2 will need to be hospitalized for serious complications. Most children will recover without complications, but it is wise to be on the lookout for them.

Some complications from chickenpox won't show up for weeks, so keep an eye on your child for at least a month after the illness is "over". Of course, it's never really "over", since chickenpox will settle in a nerve along the spine and lie dormant. It can reappear later in life as shingles.

Watch for signs of pneumonia, encephalitis, arthritic type joint soreness, or an unsteady gait. Get to the doctor if you're suspicious of anything you feel is unusual. Since your child is an adolescent, expect chickenpox to be worse, even if no complications arise. The older you are...the worse this disease is.

It doesn't even have to wait until that much later in life. I had CP at 2 days old, shingles at 9 yrs old. DD had CP at 2 years old, and shingles at 5 years old (in fact that is how we gave ds8 CP as a baby)

It doesn't even have to wait until that much later in life. I had CP at 2 days old, shingles at 9 yrs old. DD had CP at 2 years old, and shingles at 5 years old (in fact that is how we gave ds8 CP as a baby)

Yep, my dd got it at age 2 also...five little marks following her nerve from her spine outward on her left side.

It's usually much more severe and horribly painful when it develops at an older age, so that seems to be what get the most attention. However, you can get it anytime after the initial infection.

There is a shingles vaccine for people over 60 (don't quote me on the age...I don't treat older people, lol), to try and prevent it from occurring.

My DH had shingles in his 50's. He was miserable. He said it was far worse than having chicken pox which he could just barely remember.

Another long term complication from shingles is chronic pain in the dermatome affected. I have a friend with that problem. It's as if the pain from the shingles never goes away even though the rash does.

DD got chicken pox when she 5 even though she had been immunized. But, she only had a mild fever and about 6 or 7 of the vesicles.

I hope your son feels much better soon.

:grouphug:

:grouphug: for your ds.

I've had Chicken Pox 7 times and three of those times were really bad. I started having joint pain after the fourth bout when I was 10 even though that time it was mild. I also have trouble with my ears because of the scarring from the sores that I had in the ear canal.

My oldest got a fever with chickenpox, it went away and came back a few days later. It wasn't from another infection. It was just his body fighting the pox.

Seems that the 2nd fever could still be from his body fight CP. However, our Dr. also thinks he could have also contracted Foot and Mouth Disease, which is also going around our community, as after the 2nd fever he is now breaking out in sores on his hands, feet, and throat. It could also just be more chicken pox, but poor guy.

He is feeling better today, and the fever seems to have broken. Hopefully this time for good!

Seems that the 2nd fever could still be from his body fight CP. However, our Dr. also thinks he could have also contracted Foot and Mouth Disease, which is also going around our community, as after the 2nd fever he is now breaking out in sores on his hands, feet, and throat. It could also just be more chicken pox, but poor guy.

He is feeling better today, and the fever seems to have broken. Hopefully this time for good!

That sounds truly miserable. Poor guy. :grouphug:

I've been wanting my dc to get the cp SO BADLY simply because my older ones are getting so much older. I'd break down and get the shot for the bigs, but we are morally opposed to the cp shot in particular because of how it is manufactured so we are hoping and praying they get it soon.

Hope your guy feels better soon! :(