Menu

SEWING Q: How to refurbish this $3.75 skirt from a thrift store???

Hey Everyone,

Got a question for those who sew. I bought a really neat skirt at the thrift store for $2. Got home and realized it was a "wee bit" snug in the booty/rump/waist. I figure I could seamrip the panels and add extra fabric to widen it to fit my figure. (I've done this before...)

The skirt is a cotton/poly blend. I got lazy and went to the nearest Hobby Lobby and bought (for $1.75) a 1/2 yard of matching color fabric -- but it is 100% cotton (homespun). I am right now washing and drying the homespun for shrinkage before I use it for side panels in refurbishing this skirt.

My question is for those of you who sew...

1) Do I need to use fusible interfacing to make the homespun more sturdy for laundering? I have tons of fusible interfacing, btw.

2) Will there be any more shrinkage with the skirt in the future due to the use of homespun? (I just laundered it and dried it in a high heat dryer)

Thanks in advance! :)

I'd have gone with a coordinating print.

:iagree:

I have a really nice stash of fabric that I never use. And honestly, for the $3.75 invested... this is ending up to be more of a project or "challenge". But I do not wish to spend $8 a yard on really good fabric. The skirt is dated and cheap cotton/poly.

Now that I think about it... I shall go and look for a coordinating print in my stash! :D I was really tempted to do a "quilted" pattern on the sides?

I wouldn't think the cotton would shrink any more.

*whew*

It has been a few years... but my sewing skills are rusty. Thanks!! :)

Edited by tex-mex

I agree that a coordinating fabric would be better because the colors of the skirt/matching fabric may not wear the same and you may end up with very different colored sides. I wouldn't think the cotton would shrink anymore. Maybe even adding fabric to the hemline would bring it all together. Post pic when you are done!

I agree that a coordinating fabric would be better because the colors of the skirt/matching fabric may not wear the same and you may end up with very different colored sides. I wouldn't think the cotton would shrink anymore. Maybe even adding fabric to the hemline would bring it all together. Post pic when you are done!

Will do! :)

I put the newly purchased (washed and dryed) homespun into my fabric stash pile... and pulled out 3 fat quarters (from my stash) that are lovely to coordinate with this skirt! I will do the side panels and use the FQs for a bit of color to the hemline. Yay!