Menu

Artistic Pursuits for 3rd Grader?

Writerdaddy

Hi there,

I am looking for an art curriculum for 1 very arty new 8yo and 1 sort of arty 8yo.

I liked the idea initially the two DVD series I found, Atelier and another one with a title something to do with light, but the Atelier seemed too crafty for me, while the other one had kind of what seemed like a marketing gimmick with the bible in it.

Artistic pursuits looks good, but the K-3 curriculum looks almost preschoolish in the sample projects and my arty one might feel underwhelmed (or maybe vaguely insulted) by it, while I felt there 4-6 grade stuff was too much for them.

Anyone know if the K-3 might be okay for an arty 8yo? I realize this is within the recommended age group by the ones who are selling it.

Any other recommendations?

My fourth grader (very arty girl) did Artistic Pursuits K-3 with her younger brother and sister last year. She enjoyed it just as much as they did, of course the quality of their finished projects varied tremendously. Basically they are given a print to study about a particular art technique, then they try it on their own. Each child is able to interpret and complete the assignment at their own level. Occasionally I would try my hand as well:001_smile:

We did also study some artists on the side. But for actual hands on art, artistic pursuits was a big hit here.

We have both K-3 and now 4-6 (though we've yet to use the latter).

I think you should start with K-3 and go from there. The projects are as simple or as advanced as the artist wants them to be - which is perfect for using with both children at once. I honestly think they have a great product that mixes art history and methodology, while the final product is whatever the artist wants it to be. Good stuff!

By the way, I did buy the most recent book from Rainbow Resources, and since they have free shipping over $50 right now (and I ordered other things), it was a better price - plus their price was even cheaper than buying direct, I believe.

I'm planning on using Artistic Pursuits K-3 with my non-artsy (at least not visual arts - the kid can dance and act) 9-year-old, fourth grade, and my artsy 5-year-old - K. Looking through it, I can see that they would both be roughly at the same level artistically, and as a PP mentioned, each child could go deeper if they wished.