Menu

Ramadan Kareem to my Muslim Friends Here!

Mashallah, we are so many now! May Allah accept our fast, accept our deeds and intentions and increase our Eman and Ibadah.

Please remember the people of Syria in your duas and especially the children who have survived and need to live with this trauma in years to come.

Ramadan Kareem Nadia!

After living in the ME for many years, and now being back in country Vic (Aus), I cant tell you how much I miss sharing Iftar with my wonderful Muslim friends.

As soon as call to prayer (adhan?) would be heard ( and our local Muezzin had the most beautiful voice), our wonderful neighbours would be at our door with plates full of wonderful food.

Then,of course,followed by celebrating Eid-Ul-Fitr- oh, the memories!

Eman means belief, ibadah is your worship, acts of worship such as prayers, fasting, but also doing good to others, speaking kindly, being a good mother and wife etc. as these show love for God and dua is supplication which is like prayer, but your own informal one.

Isn't Ramadan usually in the fall? Are there multiple Ramadans?

Also, completely and utterly random, but there was this male Muslim singer with a voice like butter who had recordings on Youtube (in Arabic, of course). Any idea who it might have been? :tongue_smilie:

The Muslim calendar is lunar, and Ramadan actually falls 11 days earlier each (Western calendar) year. So over the course of about 30 years, Ramadan falls in all the seasons. It's really interesting--when I became a Muslim 18 years ago, Ramadan was in the spring. It got a little earlier each year; a few years later it was falling around Christmas time, which was really fun, and now it's falling in summer, when the days are the longest and hottest (at least in the northern hemisphere).

ETA: Don't know about the singer, sorry!

The Muslim calendar is lunar, and Ramadan actually falls 11 days earlier each (Western calendar) year. So over the course of about 30 years, Ramadan falls in all the seasons. It's really interesting--when I became a Muslim 18 years ago, Ramadan was in the spring. It got a little earlier each year; a few years later it was falling around Christmas time, which was really fun, and now it's falling in summer, when the days are the longest and hottest (at least in the northern hemisphere).

ETA: Don't know about the singer, sorry!

I didn't realize the lunar calendar was that different! :blushing: When I was in India almost 9 years ago, it was in November. :001_smile:

Buttery voice, hmmm.

Maher Zain (Lebanese, raised in Sweden)

Wow, that video is rough. :(

Zain Bhika (South Africa), singing about Eid/celebration

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nDdHkIbPfuw&feature=related

THIS IS IT!!!!!! I can't believe you figured it out!! :party:I've been wondering about this for a few years now!

As an aside, what do you understand the name "Zain" to mean? My friend named her son Zain, in an attempt to connect him to his Indian heritage in some way, but she only found it mentioned on one of those shady baby name sites. The father wasn't Muslim, but she liked the name, so what do you do? :tongue_smilie:

Wishing a Blessed Ramadan to you and yours, Nadia! How I would love to be spending it together this year, but you are in my thoughts and we're together in this little virtual world we share!

Ramadan Mubarak to all the WTM sisters!

My apologies ahead of time if this is incorrect, but I did google and found this on About.com....

"Kul 'am wa enta bi-khair!". :D:001_smile:

Thank you for sharing the holiday. I love to expose my kids to other cultures and the Muslims I knew in school never shared what Ramadan meant, other than a fast.

My apologies ahead of time if this is incorrect, but I did google and found this on About.com....

"Kul 'am wa enta bi-khair!". :D:001_smile:

Thank you for sharing the holiday. I love to expose my kids to other cultures and the Muslims I knew in school never shared what Ramadan meant, other than a fast.

Hahha, Elf Knitter, this is what we say when it is Eid (after Ramadan). The wishes for Ramadan is that God will accept from us and bestow upon us (light, ease, inspiration etc.).....

Ramadan Mubarak!!! (A little late, I know, but I haven't been online in a while :). )

May Allah have mercy on us all and bestow blessings and bring peace to many of those whose lives have been or are being effected by tragedy around the world. (Batman shooting victims, Syrians, etc...)

Ramadan Kareem! sorry for the late response, still jet-lagging, unpacking and repacking to go visit the inlaws next week inshallah.

About fasting and kids, although it is only required once children hit puberty, it is common for children to begin fasting earlier and gradually -- like fasting half days at first. My older two (14 and 10) both fast, my youngest (7) fasted several days last year and has done several days this year so far. It is more to the temperament and ability of the individual, each child (at least, it has been with my children) is different. I think 6-8 years is kind of average for introducing the idea of fasting in some modified way?

About fasting and kids, although it is only required once children hit puberty, it is common for children to begin fasting earlier and gradually -- like fasting half days at first. My older two (14 and 10) both fast, my youngest (7) fasted several days last year and has done several days this year so far. It is more to the temperament and ability of the individual, each child (at least, it has been with my children) is different. I think 6-8 years is kind of average for introducing the idea of fasting in some modified way?

Yes--my teens fast the entire month, ds11 fasts on some days but not on others, and ds8 just completed his first full-day fast (he probably won't fast any more days this year).

Letting them try it out now and then before it's required is very valuable. It gives them a sense of accomplishment, lets them know that they can do it and that it's not superhumanly difficult, and (in our family) gets them a lot of presents the first time they do it :).

Ramadan Mubarak to everyone too ...

My 8 and 10 yo intend to fast full time this year, and alhamdulillah, 6 days on and they're still going strong.

Kiddos are excited with all the activities and special dishes/drink I make them for iftar. Our community has this Ramadan school every Saturday evening to coincide with the adult's weekly circle. The last Saturday in Ramadan (before Eid) there'll be a performance night by the children followed by gift giving ceremonies - the organizer calls parents one by one to the stage to give their children presents while the organizer gives the children certificates, goodie bags, small present, and then gets the whole family photographed. We've been doing this since 2009 and this really makes the whole thing more exciting.

They're very easy to wake up for early morning meal as well -in our place, we wake up at 4.30 am, eat, and do the Fajr/dawn prayer at around 5.30. They don't feel hungry at all, but in the evening, the mouth feels dry.

They've been v. obedient with Quran reading and memorization as well. I told them that ALlah said ramadan is about Quran first and foremost, and tmentioned fasting only after the Quran emphasis.

Hope you all have a blessed Ramadan, may Allah forgive our sins, and accept our worship.

Mashallah, we are so many now! May Allah accept our fast, accept our deeds and intentions and increase our Eman and Ibadah.

Please remember the people of Syria in your duas and especially the children who have survived and need to live with this trauma in years to come.

Hope you and your family have a blessed day!

Praying for the children of Syria. You've really bought this to my attention and it is heartbreaking.