Menu

Spelling curriculum suggestions?

Jules in MI

My son is in 2nd grade and isn't really doing much of a formal spelling program. He already spells quite well, which impresses dh and I. He taught himself to read early too, at 4yo. Anyway, HOW do we choose a spelling program? I have no idea! I've read that Spelling Power, Spelling workout and Sequential Spelling are all good...any thoughts?

I am in the exact same situation. '2nd' grade son who happens to be a natural speller and we have never used a formal program. I just purchased Spelling Power after speaking with many moms about it. I really didn't want another 'workbook' program and after talking directly to the Rainbow Resource gals, decided to take the plunge with it! :)

I guess I am not really much of a help here other than to say after much research...this is the path I decided to choose with Spelling. I will be anxious to see how many others respond to this post.

I put my 7 year old in the 3rd grade book last week and my 10 year olds in the 5th grade. So far, I think it is a good program. R&S teaches more than just practicing spelling words like many programs out there. It also teaches phonics. For instance, my children learned to read very young, but quickly forgot all the phonics of spelling and never got a good understanding of syllables and the different phonetic markings. This really reviews all of that in each lesson and includes some dictionary skills, too. It's broken down by 3 or 4 sections, so we do one each day and a test on Friday. I do believe we will stick to it. We tried Spelling Power, but because Spelling Power was completely teacher taught, it kept not getting done (my fault). We do better in a workbook with me overseeing it, but not having to sit with them for that subject each day.

Spelling Power is a "list-based" program. Your child works through lists of words which are classified into groups based on spelling rules. There are no reading passages or fill-in the blanks, etc. However, they do have activity cards that supplement the program. That program does require more parental involvement than Spelling Workout. Spelling Workout is workbook oriented with traditional puzzles, fill-in the blanks, proofreading passages, etc. We are doing Book E right now (fifth grade.) Spelling Workout does introduce Latin, French. Greek roots and Prefixes, etc. starting at the 6th grade level. That is what drew me to that program. IF you are not interested in the roots portion of a spelling program and your child is a good speller, I would go with Spelling Power. Spelling Workout keeps you on one lesson with a list of 20 words for at least 3 days which can be boring if you know most of the words well. With Spelling Power you run through the lists and only spend time on the words your child doesn't know. Hope that helps.

I somehow want to use Spelling Wisdom as well - just not sure if it will replace SWO or supplement:

http://simplycharlottemason.com/books/spellingwisdom/

I love the idea of "beautiful and fascinating ideas from great men and women of history that encourage and motivate children as they learn to spell the words."

Just another idea to throw out there.

has a large vocabulary. The words become very advanced within the first book.

Also I'm not sure that you would need Sequential Spelling for a good speller It teaches the basic spelling patterns through repetition. It doesn't teach the rules, unless you bring them up. It is easy and low stress, but it can become boring. Everyday you read a list of 25 words and correct them. I'm happy with SS for my ds, but he's a horrible speller.

I'll admit that Dr Fry's Spelling Book isn't usually on the top ten list of spelling resources here. Nevertheless, it is an excellent resource if you want a simple way to use a list-based approach to teaching spelling.

The Spelling Book is made up of 196 lessons (one page each) with between 10 (for 1st Grade) and 20 (by 3rd Grade) words to memorize. The core of the book is based on 3000 of the most highly used words (according to American Heritage) and 100 picture nouns (which help with reading and sentence production).

You have permission to copy the book and each lesson is self-contained on the page with the words to memorize at the top and then various other optional things like basic phonics, sentences, variant forms etc.

We've enjoyed using it with our dd8 and dd6. We've scanned the book and print out pages as needed. One of the benefits of using a high-frequency word list is that it also helps with independent reading, since they are being exposed to words that occur the majority of the time.

Spelling book is a simple approach...do a page a week and don't worry about anything else. Because it is simple, it can't do everything other programs can (ie. it doesn't group words together based on common morphemes for example), but what it does do, it does very well.