Menu

Quick! Worst total library fine amount ever?

I have racked up a hideous total of fines on my four cards combined. It's truly shocking and I feel really irresponsible. Some of it is replacement fee charges that will come off when I return a couple of items, but what I owe will still be pretty bad. What's the most you've racked up? If you beat me I'll tell, and I'll feel a little better. Or maybe this is the worst ever, and you'll all feel really good about yourselves! ;)

I paid a dollar once, when I forgot to return a DVD. And I think my daugher had a 70 cent fine.

That's it. Guess you aren't talking to us!

We do keep all library materials in a special pile and do not allow them to get mixed in with our books or movies, as a precaution. Maybe that helped.

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Mine neither for juvenile materials. Which is why I will only check out juvenile materials.

Sometimes I am frustrated with aspects of my city's library system. However, overall, they have an excellent collection and they have excellent outreach. They want people to USE the library, especially children. That's why they have the policies they have. I appreciate this mission they provide us. It often seems like the library systems in some cities are not meant to be used because the policies make the library a scary place, the sort of place Leslie Knope has to campaign to have shut down.

Oh cool!

I just found out we can get a DC card even though we live in MD. We drive right past a branch in NW at least once a week. Now I have another source to look for books my county doesn't have.:D

Oh cool!

I just found out we can get a DC card even though we live in MD. We drive right past a branch in NW at least once a week. Now I have another source to look for books my county doesn't have.:D

Chevy Chase DC has a really good collection. :D

We can also get MoCo and PG cards, but I won't because I know I'm often a few days late with books.

I didn't read the entire thread, but my largest single time fine was.....

Over $300!

It was a combo of; I was on bedrest at the very end of my pregnancy,, Dh forgot to return the books after the baby was born & left them in his car. The box was misplaced and my lovely MIL who came to see the baby, put all the books on the kids' book shelves, even my books and cookbooks. We had an internet melt down that caused us to change our e-mail, which is the only way we are notified of overdue books.

Three months later when I emerged from newborn fog, we started getting notices from a collection agency. I found the books. Returned them to the library & they took off $100. I banned myself from the library for about a year.

Currently, I rack up about $10 every other month. That is when I pay it off & start over.

I try to always pay in cash so Dh doesn't have to see the charge. It gives him a pain.

Feel better?

Amber in SJ