Menu

homeschooling encouragement books

For some reason, the activity on this board intimidates me. Ha! I posted this over on the K-8 Curriculum board, but I am not getting any responses. I know someone might lend assistance! And I am not looking for TWTM. I already read it. I don't want a book full of curriculum suggestions. I'm in search of practical insights, encouragement, biblical advice, etc...

Last summer I attended my first homeschooling conference. I really just went to browse curriculum that I would be using for this upcoming year, as we are just now reaching the schooling age. I refused to leave empty handed, so I impulsively bought Homeschooling with a Meek and Quiet Spirit by Teri Maxwell.

Wow. I loved reading that book! I plan to read it every year to make sure my heart is in the right place before we start school. What a gem this impulsive buy has become!

With more seasoned moms ahead of me, I was just wondering if there are any similar suggestions. Not a book on methods, or curriculum, but anything that speaks directly to you, the teacher. When you are fried, or frazzled from homeschooling, or you want to kick things off to a great start, do you have a good book you run to?

I have two books I re-read every year:

I saw the angel in the marble by Chris Davis

and

Pocketful of pinecones by Karen Andreola

Yes! I was thinking of those, particularly I Saw the Angel...

Linda Dobson's books are good too. I can't think of the titles right now.

I found reading Liping Ma's book and also The War Against Grammar really gave me a boost in reminding me WHY I was doing what I was doing.

The grammar book sounds interesting. My library doesn't have it, and it is expensive, even used. But I'll keep my eye out for an old, tattered copy.

The WTM is my curriculum guide as you said. I also like Sally Clarkson and Karen Andreola and Susan Schaeffer Macaulay.

My all time favorite author for envisioning and encouragement is Debra Bell. She combines perspective on the "why" to homeschool (from a Christian perspective) with academic rigor that really inspires me.

http://www.amazon.com/Ultimate-Guide-Homeschooling-Debra-Bell/dp/1932012982'>http://www.amazon.com/Ultimate-Guide-Homeschooling-Debra-Bell/dp/1932012982

http://www.amazon.com/Ultimate-Guide-Homeschooling-Debra-Bell/dp/1932012982

The grammar book sounds interesting. My library doesn't have it, and it is expensive, even used. But I'll keep my eye out for an old, tattered copy.

I couldn't find one, so I got it through inter library loan. It came from a local liberal arts college. It is a short but compelling read, and I'll pay you 10 bucks if you don't think they guy the bees knees.

I couldn't find one, so I got it through inter library loan. It came from a local liberal arts college. It is a short but compelling read, and I'll pay you 10 bucks if you don't think they guy the bees knees.

It sounds as though it might be worth asking my library to do an out-of-system loan. I'll let you know when I've read it.

I have to say I am enjoying it very much. The decline of grammar section weighed me down a bit, but that could've been due the lateness of the hour.

:)

i have the War Against Grammar and really love it. It's a slim book, but I re-read it every year.