Menu

Does this make any sense?? Banking fees.

My son who is only 16 went to the bank he has a savings account with to cash a $25 birthday check. The bank wanted to charge him $5 to cash said check because he did not have a checking accounting?? However, if he wasted the banks money by filling out a deposit slip then filling out a withdrawal slip there would not to be a charge.

I called the bank and asked the lady to explain to me how this makes any sense....the poor girl....:lol:

No, it does not make sense, and no, it does not surprise me.

Well, it kinda makes sense if they don't have access to the check writer's bank account. If the check bounces, they can sock it to you if you have an account.

So your son now has a bank account, right? I hope it doesn't have fees . . ..

Yes, ever since popular protest stopped them from making monthly fees to use debit cards they have been slipping extra fees in everywhere they can. :glare:

My bank charges 5, 10 or 35 (depending on the number of days turnaround) to transfer money from my account to another account. In other words if I wanted to send my dd21 $100 today and have her get it tomorrow I would need to pay a $35 fee (more time lag less money).

Of course my bank has been 'to big for their britches' for quite some time now. :tongue_smilie: It is my own fault for not wanting to go through the hassle to move accounts. :auto:

Yes, ever since popular protest stopped them from making monthly fees to use debit cards they have been slipping extra fees in everywhere they can. :glare:

My bank charges 5, 10 or 35 (depending on the number of days turnaround) to transfer money from my account to another account. In other words if I wanted to send my dd21 $100 today and have her get it tomorrow I would need to pay a $35 fee (more time lag less money).

Of course my bank has been 'to big for their britches' for quite some time now. :tongue_smilie: It is my own fault for not wanting to go through the hassle to move accounts. :auto:

I felt bad for ds. I never thought it would ahve been an issue. I should have had him deposit and withdraw the money. I hate that he was trying to do something independent and be embarrassed like that and teller did not even offer the other option.

Do it!

I was so furious at my bank for concocting fees that I switched to a credit union, and anecdotally saw a ton of my acquaintances also leave that bank. Lo and behold all of a sudden the bank doesn't have fees anymore. Guess who's not returning.

I closed an account because they started charging fees out of the blue. Then the banker said, "why?" When I told him, he said "I could have set you up with a different account that didn't charge fees." Well, why wait until the customer is dissatisfied and feeling cheated to do that? Do they really think some of their customers might be pleased to see those fees draining their little bit of money?

I closed an account because they started charging fees out of the blue. Then the banker said, "why?" When I told him, he said "I could have set you up with a different account that didn't charge fees." Well, why wait until the customer is dissatisfied and feeling cheated to do that? Do they really think some of their customers might be pleased to see those fees draining their little bit of money?

I think they are hoping to get extra cash from people who think there is no other option.

The manager didn't look particularly surprised when I closed my account.

Which is why I use a small community bank. No outrageous fees...yet. When I call I get to talk to a real live person who actually works in the local branch and recognizes me by name. The drive thru teller that I always use kind of seems like family :) she always asks about my kids and my dad (who has cancer).

When I had my last baby, on one of our first outings we had to drop by to see "the ladies at the bank" as my 5yo would say!

If you're fed up with bank fees, look into a credit union. My CU has no monthly fee for checking at all, just $5 needed to open and maintain a savings account, no atm fees. I know different CU's have different ways of doing things, but overall, I've never had any issue with bizarre fees being taken out. Different CU's have different requirements for membership, but it's definitely worth checking into.

If you're fed up with bank fees, look into a credit union. My CU has no monthly fee for checking at all, just $5 needed to open and maintain a savings account, no atm fees. I know different CU's have different ways of doing things, but overall, I've never had any issue with bizarre fees being taken out. Different CU's have different requirements for membership, but it's definitely worth checking into.

This is a credit union ds has an account at.