Menu

KISS grammar. I will not let it defeat me.

Sixth grade level two? We are there, what is wrong?

We are still near the beginning, but the sentences have so many phrases (or clauses?) it is quite a challenge. There might be a long phrase (with its own subject and verb) used as a direct object.

We had previously worked through FLL4 and then everything that was available for ALL.

I did not do KISS grade6 level1 because that was material we had covered previously.

We are still near the beginning, but the sentences have so many phrases (or clauses?) it is quite a challenge. There might be a long phrase (with its own subject and verb) used as a direct object.

We had previously worked through FLL4 and then everything that was available for ALL.

I did not do KISS grade6 level1 because that was material we had covered previously.

I would definitely not skip level 1 even if it seems you already covered it IMO. Also, if I am not mistaken, phrases cannot have a subject and a verb-only clauses can.

When my daughter and I started the Grade 6 book, it was a shock how much more difficult the sentences seemed. We have switched to just doing two sentences a day: one that I mark, discussing my thoughts out loud, and one that she does the same. There is almost always at least one thing in those two sentences that we aren't sure about, so we mark our best guess and then check the AK.

Sometimes, the sentences seem a little bit easier, and I try to talk my dd into doing four of them (two for me and two for her). But whenever she gives in, it turns out to be a mistake --- at least one of the extra sentences will prove difficult enough to cause a meltdown.

If you are trying to do a whole page at once, then I'm not surprised you feel challenged!

We are on year five. It is worth the effort. Really. But don't expect it to be easy and don't expect to complete a days work in one day. Split it up.

I'm on a tablet right now or I would write more. But if you want to pm me, I'll happily discuss problems and solutions with you.

Ruth in nz.Who is currently on holiday in Ohio

I bet this is it. The author says specifically to start at level 1 and then select the grade level based on sentence complexity. That's why there are level 1 books all the way to grade 11.

Personally, we started with grade 2 level 1 because even though DD7 is doing GWG3 and has completed MCT Island level (along with a few other programs, blush), I wanted to ease in and take our time.

Our plan (based on another poster's plan) is to do Level 1 grade 2, Level 1 grade 3, Level 2 grade 3, Level 3.1 grade 4, Level 3.2 grade 6, and end with Levels 4 & 5.8 grade 6.

Edited by zoo_keeper

Lifeline:

1-125--%2830%29.jpg

I couldn't make KISS grammar work for us, but I find R&S very easy to teach and my boys find it very easy to understand.

My son left R&S Grade 6 on the floor of his bedroom. He did not cry when "Progressing With Courage" was destroyed by a middle--of-the-night-upstairs-pipe-break and subsequent flood.

We then Progressed With Courage to the free and downloadable KISS Grammar.

:001_smile::001_smile:

We are on year five. It is worth the effort. Really. But don't expect it to be easy and don't expect to complete a days work in one day. Split it up.

I'm on a tablet right now or I would write more. But if you want to pm me, I'll happily discuss problems and solutions with you.

Ruth in nz.Who is currently on holiday in Ohio

Oh goodness. No wonder we've been struggling. I have been doing one page a day with the children and then asking them to do the next exercise on their own. Of course, then, we go over it. Just going over the page is a big effort.

There isn't anything wrong with us struggling a bit and building up our grammar muscles, but perhaps I could take some hive advice and back down to a few selected sentences. :001_smile:

Thank you Ruth and other pp.

Also--I just downloaded Grade 3 Level 2. it is still pretty challenging.

My ds is almost 12 and started at age 7. He LOVES KISS grammar and it is the ONLY subject that we have not curriculum hopped on.

Ed (the author) is a University prof and NOT an elementary teacher. His divisions as to a day's worth of work are usually unreasonable. He has stated that 1 worksheet (with 10 difficult sentences) should take about 10 to 15 minutes. This is NUTS. My ds can do 5 sentences in 20 minutes if he understands the concept. The divisions into grade levels are also NUTS. What he thinks is 4th grade work is easily 6th or 7th grade. So the point it that you need to use the curriculum at an appropriate level for you child. It is cumulative, so as long as your child is mastering concepts, you just have him/her work at her own pace through the material. My ds does 20 minutes 4 times a day. Typically a explanation section takes one day, and a worksheet takes 2 days (sometimes one if it is easy). He just does 20 minutes.

I do NOT use all the material that is available. There are typically 4 sheets per topic, so I just pick 2 for my son. I remove the others so he does not feel like he is skipping. He just does the next thing.

As for learning the material so you can teach it, Ed does not expect you to understand the difficult stuff until he has explained it. So sometimes you just tell you child "you don't have to know that yet." Ed uses real sentences so there will definitely be material you have not see yet. The only other alternative is to use made up sentences, which aren't nearly as fun, challenging, and applied as real sentences. Just the nature of grammar.

Happy to answer any other questions,

Ruth in NZ who is currently in OH

My son left R&S Grade 6 on the floor of his bedroom. He did not cry when "Progressing With Courage" was destroyed by a middle--of-the-night-upstairs-pipe-break and subsequent flood.

LOL! I hope these suggestions help you, then. Now that I know that successful KISS users don't use it exactly at the prescribed level or pace I'm tempted to have another look.

Oh goodness. No wonder we've been struggling. I have been doing one page a day with the children and then asking them to do the next exercise on their own. Of course, then, we go over it. Just going over the page is a big effort.

There isn't anything wrong with us struggling a bit and building up our grammar muscles, but perhaps I could take some hive advice and back down to a few selected sentences. :001_smile:

Thank you Ruth and other pp.

Also--I just downloaded Grade 3 Level 2. it is still pretty challenging.

I would still consider level 1. I thought I read on the site that level 1 is important and should be done sequentially. There is also another thing for parents to read is the "Psycholinguistic Model" and "How to use Kiss Grammar" on his web site. There are answer keys as well. I am sorry if I am being redundant but this what I understand and where I plan to start wsith ds despite his having quite a bit of grammar already. I did decide though to progress through MCT Grammar Town and Practice Town first as a quick review/overview before proceeding with KISS since it does seem challenging to me;)

http://home.pct.edu/~evavra/kiss/wb/PBooks/index.htm

I would still consider level 1. I thought I read on the site that level 1 is important and should be done sequentially.

I agree. I've been reading up on this like mad and I keep seeing it stressed that you should start at level 1.

"When considering Grade-Level Workbooks, the parent or teacher will want to consider the correct KISS Level first (everyone starts with KISS Level 1), then find the closest grade level."

That is almost exactly what happened with us (except RS5 wasn't ruined).

We started with 6.1 even though it is review.

You might want to look into Analytical Grammar for you (and future use with ds). I use it with dd and I have learned a lot ;)

Ed (the author) is a University prof and NOT an elementary teacher. His divisions as to a day's worth of work are usually unreasonable. He has stated that 1 worksheet (with 10 difficult sentences) should take about 10 to 15 minutes. This is NUTS. My ds can do 5 sentences in 20 minutes if he understands the concept. The divisions into grade levels are also NUTS. What he thinks is 4th grade work is easily 6th or 7th grade. So the point it that you need to use the curriculum at an appropriate level for you child. It is cumulative, so as long as your child is mastering concepts, you just have him/her work at her own pace through the material. My ds does 20 minutes 4 times a day. Typically a explanation section takes one day, and a worksheet takes 2 days (sometimes one if it is easy). He just does 20 minutes.

I do NOT use all the material that is available. There are typically 4 sheets per topic, so I just pick 2 for my son. I remove the others so he does not feel like he is skipping. He just does the next thing.

Thanks, Ruth.

Is this the approach others take? We've been trying to do the lesson, worksheet and going over any errors in 20 min. No wonder it's frustrating on some days. We've also been doing ALL the worksheets. Hmm....this way would be much more relaxed.

I have KISS Grade 3, Level 1 slated for my going-into-6th grade daughter. I probably SHOULD be using Grade 6, Level 1. But I want it to be a gentle & easy intro to KISS for her.

I'm hoping we work on it together 20-30 minutes twice per week. I'm keeping in mind that if she has the concept down, we'll move onto the next thing (not trying to get all the worksheets done). I doubt we'll get to Level 2 this year, but I'm not in a hurry.

Everyone--thank you for the replies. I value your time and input.

I did read and teach the kids about the Psycholinguistic Approach. I did look through level 1 prior to printing level 2 and after this thread started I went back again to skim through Grade 6 Level 1.

While starting at level 1 would be ideal and perhaps preferable, I have some concerns to balance. I will be sending ds off to high school next year and he needs an acquaintance with topics higher than basic parts of speech and prepositions, topics thoroughly drilled into his mind by Rod and Staff, First Language Lessons, Advanced Language Lessons and all the grammar in Lively Latin.

I'm thinking that I can back down to Grade3 and also just work ahead myself. I think I just need a quick refresher from another source (something simple and traditional) so that I don't feel overwhelmed by the terms.

Thank you for the encouragement.

Andrea

Everyone--thank you for the replies. I value your time and input.

I did read and teach the kids about the Psycholinguistic Approach. I did look through level 1 prior to printing level 2 and after this thread started I went back again to skim through Grade 6 Level 1.

While starting at level 1 would be ideal and perhaps preferable, I have some concerns to balance. I will be sending ds off to high school next year and he needs an acquaintance with topics higher than basic parts of speech and prepositions, topics thoroughly drilled into his mind by Rod and Staff, First Language Lessons, Advanced Language Lessons and all the grammar in Lively Latin.

I'm thinking that I can back down to Grade3 and also just work ahead myself. I think I just need a quick refresher from another source (something simple and traditional) so that I don't feel overwhelmed by the terms.

Thank you for the encouragement.

Andrea

CLE has a small but thorough and quick review of grammar with a diagramming book that might be just the ticket.

http://www.clp.org/product/extra_practice_sheets_diagramming_2611

We are using it now. It covers all of the diagramming taught from CLE 200 through 800. This would be useful for a very quick catch up IMO.

I found it VERY helpful to go through the grade 3 books myself for a quick refresher. I actually need to continue on, as my son may soon catch up with where I last stopped. :tongue_smilie:

Even the 3rd grade book is useful for adults, since it is teaching the same material, and 3rd grade sentences still include difficult analysis. I don't mind analyzing Beatrix Potter. :D I'm actually a bit scared to look at the grade 6 books. :lol:

Yup....I didn't cry either when mine were destroyed in the hurricane last year....oh, my kids actually PARTIED to find out the upper level Saxon math and DVD's were in there:glare: