Menu

Which Pre-Algebra would be considered "conceptual"... but not too hard?

There is always a lot of talk on the K-8 board about "conceptual" vs. "formulaic" math.

Which Pre-Algebra program would be considered "conceptual"-ie-teaches the concepts or "why" behind the math instead of just the formula?

AOPS would prbly be one, but it's too hard for a student where math is a huge challenge. Chalkdust also looks very hard (I think it is technically an early college text that they use?) Singapore (after grade 6) could be counted as conceptual, but is there anything like this that is more of a true one-year pre-algebra program?

I do believe that any math curricula can be made more "conceptual" with a good teacher, but is there anything out there that just teaches that way?

Would you say the DIVE dvds would make Saxon (8/7, specifically) more conceptual?

Edited by HappyGrace

The answer may depend on what you mean by "prealgebra" and the extent and cause of your student's struggling. If you think your student is struggling with some basic concepts (fractions, decimals, etc.), perhaps it might be better to use pieces of a conceptual elementary program (e.g., a few MM Blue topic books) to develop a thorough conceptual understanding instead of the review and pulling-together of concepts that seems to happen in prealgebra texts. In other words, if he really didn't get it the first time around, maybe coming at it from another angle but from scratch is warranted. (That doesn't have to take long.) On the other hand, if he mostly got it the first time around but forgot stuff, the review in a prealgebra text may be enough.

Other than that, here are two conceptual prealgebra suggestions:

Russian Math 6 isn't quite as challenging as AoPS Prealgebra, though I haven't used it, so I don't know whether it would work for a struggling student. Also, I'd add a few topics (I can't recall what was "missing", maybe exponents and square roots?).

Dolciani's Prealgebra, An Accelerated Course is very straightforward direct instruction, and seems to be accessible to any student who is ready for "prealgebra." I only used bits of it. It's probably not as conceptual as either AoPS or Dolciani's Modern School Mathematics Prealgebra from 1970/1973, but it seems to be a solid text.

Edited by wapiti

Thanks, Wapiti. The problem is the first that you mentioned. So we are currently cherry picking thru MM5 and 6. She's more than halfway thru CLE6 so a lot of the MM is review, but we're doing the parts of MM that show her the WHY behind it, etc., which is what she's looking for now (didn't want to know that before-just the facts, ma'am)

Once I hopefully get her remediated in conceptual, I want to continue forward with that approach rather than having to go back again and fix, like I am now.

This fall we'll do HOE, but not sure what program for a full pre-alg. I guess I just don't remember there ever being much discussion on here of conceptual vs. formulaic math programs past elementary math, so I'm wondering about this. (but I am pretty new to the HS board, so feel free to point me to any!)

I had looked at and loved Russian Math 6 years ago. Does anyone know specifically what is it missing compared to typical American Pre-Alg courses? She may be going into private school for Alg I the next yr, so I need to have her complete a traditional pre-alg this yr.

Edited by HappyGrace

Thanks, Wapiti. The problem is the first that you mentioned. So we are currently cherry picking thru MM5 and 6. She's more than halfway thru CLE6 so a lot of the MM is review, but we're doing the parts of MM that show her the WHY behind it, etc., which is what she's looking for now (didn't want to know that before-just the facts, ma'am)

That sounds good. In that case, when you've finished picking through MM, either of the two texts above would probably work. It's especially nice that she is motivated to learn the why. (Even if AoPS is too challenging, she might appreciate the videos once in a while, on particular topics, if she's not satisfied by whatever text you choose.)

I guess I just don't remember there ever being much discussion on here of conceptual vs. formulaic math programs past elementary math, so I'm wondering about this. (but I am pretty new to the HS board, so feel free to point me to any!)

Maybe you should start a thread here on secondary math programs that lean conceptual :). For algebra, Foerster and Jacobs would be options.

eta:

I had looked at and loved Russian Math 6 years ago. Does anyone know specifically what is it missing compared to typical American Pre-Alg courses? She may be going into private school for Alg I the next yr, so I need to have her complete a traditional pre-alg this yr.

let me check the spreadsheet I made last summer...

Ok. I think the only things missing are exponents, square roots and the Pythagorean theorem. I'd find an explanation that doesn't simply have one using the calculator buttons. I particularly like the AoPS chapters on those, though they're deeper than a traditional prealgebra on those topics (surprise, surprise). Please use Russian Math 6 :) - I like it a lot too but don't have a particular use for it now that I have AoPS.

Edited by wapiti

Thanks, helpful to know what it's missing. And does the Russian math keep going with all that calculator stuff? Why do they do that so much?

No, Russian Math 6 only has one little lesson involving calculators and rational numbers at the very end of the book, as far as I can tell. I just mean to beware, because many random prealgebra books teach the students to "press the button" rather than learning how to approximate square roots.

No, Russian Math 6 only has one little lesson involving calculators and rational numbers at the very end of the book, as far as I can tell. I just mean to beware, because many random prealgebra books teach the students to "press the button" rather than learning how to approximate square roots.

Gotcha, thanks. The sample that you linked did show calculator use a couple times; just wanted to make sure that wasn't a prevalent thing.

Did you see I edited my above post to ask if it's still possible to find the 1st edition anywhere (for a decent price) to avoid having to print out this next edition?