Menu

Help w/X-Country Trip Leg 4: SD-WY

We are planning a cross country trip for this fall. It may not happen depending on dh's work situation, but needs to be planned so if we can go, we'll be all prepared :)

I'm hoping the WTMers can help! Here's what I'm looking for (and I'll be posting a new thread for each "leg" of our trip):

-recommendations for inexpensive chain or other hotels in these areas

-recommendations for inexpensive but nice, clean, safe campgrounds in these areas

-recommendations for "must see" things in these areas

Our fourth "leg" will be from Rapid City, SD to Cody, WY. We don't know yet where we will be stopping along the way, but are open to any and all ideas.

Here's what we have already expressed interest in seeing, but we'd love feedback on whether they're worth it or not. We know we will not be able to see everything we'd like to, it's more or less a wish list to cull from. Also, not knowing any of these areas, the things we'd like to do may just be too far from the area we'll be staying in.

-Devil's Tower

-Grand Tetons

-Yellowstone

-Buffalo Bill Historical Center

-Trail Town

-Hot Springs State Park

-Legend Rock

-Dinosaur Center

-National Trails Interpretive Center

-Wind River Range

-Plains Indian Museum

-Jackson Hole

We would so appreciate any help from those of you who are familiar with these areas!!!

I can only answer for Yellowstone, the Tetons and Jackson as those are the only ones I have been to. I loved all three and think they are "must sees" for our kids. Yellowstone has so many cool things to see from geysers to the mud pots. There are tons of wildlife around. The Tetons are some of the most majestic mountains you will ever see and Jackson is just fun to poke around in. I would check into what kind of weather you can expect in the fall. Winter comes really early to this part of the country.

I can only answer for Yellowstone, the Tetons and Jackson as those are the only ones I have been to. I loved all three and think they are "must sees" for our kids. Yellowstone has so many cool things to see from geysers to the mud pots. There are tons of wildlife around. The Tetons are some of the most majestic mountains you will ever see and Jackson is just fun to poke around in. I would check into what kind of weather you can expect in the fall. Winter comes really early to this part of the country.

Thank you for your input! It's looking like we'll be there sometime mid September. What can we expect as far as weather at that time?