Menu

How long is to long for a child to have a friend over?

My ds has a good friend down the street. the kids are 2 years apart but have always gotten along wonderuflly. They have the same interests and same sense of humor and both are really good kids. The mom works from home and has called to ask if my son could come down and play and/or stay the night so she could work. I do tell ds not to wear out his welcome and he usually comes home for lunch and dinner and sometimes he's invited to stay for dinner. Would you make your child come home after a few hours if the mom insists that they are playing great and she's happy to have him there to keep her son entertained? When I spoke with the mom a little while ago she said everything was fine and if I wante dhim home, I told her send him home or the boys here whenever. Is is just a few and far between perfect situation in that the kids have someone to play with and are great together or is enough, enough? x hours are plenty. I remember growing up and being gone all day. We made our way home for lunch or were invited for lunch if we were a t a friends home.

When I was growing up, my brother and I were very close with the kids next door. We played at each other's houses for hours and hours, often extending into sleepovers. So, as long as the kids are getting along great, and both moms are fine with it, I'd say let them enjoy themselves. My ds and his best friend usually visit one another for the whole day on Saturdays when they can. Both families are fine with it.

Wendi

It really depends upon the child. I've had children who were overstimulated after an hour, and had to come home. I also had a son who would spend all day at his friends, sleep over at one or the other's house, and play all day here before seperating. when the playdate was over, ds would literally crash and sleep. in retrospect, he was overstimulated, but it just made him crave more as opposed to causing trouble.

I babysat a friends dd when 1dd was a toddler - I did find the two were easier to care for than one as they kept each other occupied. (does not work for all kids.)

At my house, it's "too long" depending on the kid. Sometimes an hour is long enough; sometimes a day, overnight, plus another day is not a problem.

IF your ds is enjoying himself, and the mom enjoys having him there, I'd let him stay. I would also try, as long as I were able, to have both boys at my house instead just as much of the time. My ds had a younger friend like this; it just worked for both of the boys for that time.

Well, my son and his friends regularly stay over at each other's homes for 10-12 hours a day in the summer. The moms of the home where they're playing just feed them all. Today I had four boys plus my own son for lunch. They've now headed over to another friend's house, so I got off easy today...only five hours at my house. I'll probably see him tonight around 9 or 10 PM.

When I was growing up, my brother and I were very close with the kids next door. We played at each other's houses for hours and hours, often extending into sleepovers. So, as long as the kids are getting along great, and both moms are fine with it, I'd say let them enjoy themselves. My ds and his best friend usually visit one another for the whole day on Saturdays when they can. Both families are fine with it.

Wendi

:iagree: I grew up the same way. My best friend lived next door and we shared a backyard. We were always together all day almost every day--meals were back and forth, sleep overs, campouts in the backyard. As long as you trust the mom and are okay with the situation, I see no issue with it. But you might consider having her DS over just to mix things up a little.