Menu

So dd is going on a first date Saturday and doesn't know where to go

Yes, the boy asked her to go out but not what they will do. She knows him from College Age Bible Study at our church here.

See, dh and I never dated, per se. We lived in the same dorm, ate at the same cafeteria table, got to know each other, and starting doing things together. But he never asked me on a date and I didn't either.

So for those with more experience than me, what are good ideas for a first date?

I think they are making plans to go ice skating, since it will be raining and thundering. The first plan, paint gun, was thought by both to be kind of dangerous if lightning is around. But anyway, I had told dd that even though she isn't a typical Southern Belle type-much too analytical for that and way too energetic too- that there would be guys who like that.

We went to the food court at the mall, bought a bit of food and played Fluxx on the tables there (after watching Jonah together... We'd gone to the movie as friends and discovered we were more interested in each other than just as friends... we wanted a little bit more so we wanted to spend more time getting to know each other. Its weird and hard to explain. More based on feelings and intuition than anything we put thoughtful intent in to.)

We went to the "boardwalk" on our first date. It is a 2 mile long boardwalk along the river ending up at a lighthouse on Lake Michigan.

It was nice as it was active and we could talk and semi private but still lots of people around. We got icecream down there and I think pizza.

I would encourage her to go somewhere/do something that affords some privacy but yet where there are lots of other people around.

I would encourage DD to let the boy decide. If she sets the precendent early on that she is willing to plan the dates, she will always be planning the dates.

He asked her out - now he needs to come up with something fun (and appropriate) to do!

Maybe the boy has an idea in mind to surprise her with.

I agree with the pp that said no movies for first date.

An activity it nice, it is easier to be relaxed with someone when doing something not just sitting at a table talking. SOmetimes I find when it is dinner for a first date it starts to feel more interviewish, where as going bowling, or mini golfing, or sight seeing it is just more relaxed and natural flowing.