Menu

Fructose vs. Sucrose (s/o from soda thread)

We have sodas with dinner on Friday night. I used to buy various brands of sugar sweetened soda (no HFCS). Last time I was at Costco I saw Izze in small 8 oz cans. I liked the small serving size, and knew that my kids would appreciate having their own can vs. having to split a full size can or bottle with someone else. The main ingredient is fruit juice made from concentrate.

A friend told me that since the body digests fructose differently than sucrose, I was probably better off buying cane sugar sweetened soda.

What do you think?

I'd pay for Xevia if my family would drink it.:tongue_smilie: We tried several flavors from Whole Foods, and every single can ended up being poured out. My dh will eat or drink almost anything, and even he couldn't finish the cans we tried to split 4 ways. :lol:

We do like some of the stevia flavored powders that you mix with water.

Do you like Xevia? I guess other people must, or they wouldn't sell so much of it. What flavor do you drink?

How about option #3, Xevia, stevia sweetened soda. I'm trying to switch over. (It's not cheap, though.). As far as cane vs. fructose, do they not have the same basic effect in your body?

On a trip to Whole Foods today, I picked up a can of grape Xevia. My kids liked it this time! Thanks for the push it took to try it again. Dh still wouldn't drink it, but that's okay. I'll buy it for the kids. They were excited when I said they could choose their own flavors next week.

I kind of think sugar is sugar is sugar. An apple has lots of natural sugar AND fiber and other good stuff. A tblsp of sugar is a lot of sugar plain with nothing else.

Whenever I see all those healthy expensive bars and such i think eat a Snickers and take a vitamin :lol:

We have a Soda Stream and I LOVE that. The mixers are really good

Yeah...it really is.

I think the same thing about Snickers and the vitamin. Breakfast cereal is almost like that.

I'd rather give my kids a homemade cookie than cereal. They don't like the no sugar, puffed cardboard stuff.

It annoys me all of the expensive natural sugar stuff. I avoid HFCS but I am not interested in over paying for something that is fruit juice sweetened when it has just as much sugar as sugar lol.

I agree. I'm curious about the evidence that HFCS is worse than sugar. I'm not sure I buy it. Sounds more like a marketing ploy and a reason to charge more money for a product.

The only reason I usually avoid it is because it usually comes with a bunch of other fake stuff. And I try not to even eat any sugary stuff. I don't fall off the earth if my kids are somewhere and have it though. But then again, I eat splenda :tongue_smilie:

On a trip to Whole Foods today, I picked up a can of grape Xevia. My kids liked it this time! Thanks for the push it took to try it again. Dh still wouldn't drink it, but that's okay. I'll buy it for the kids. They were excited when I said they could choose their own flavors next week.

Wow! I'm glad you gave it a second chance. I like the grape Xevia, but I mostly drink Dr. Xevia. I'd take a cherry coke over Dr. Xevia any day, but one cannot drink a large cherry coke every day if one hopes to lose any weight, unfortunately. Dr. Xevia's an okay substitute. I just wish it weren't so expensive!

I mix (thawed) fruit juice concentrate with seltzer water- 1 part juice to 3 or 4 parts seltzer. Put the juice in first, then pour the seltzer- no need to stir! We get all of the fizzy without anything bad.

But I still love an RC Cola! Wish they had caffeine-free. :D

There are indeed differences between the different types of sugar. Fructose is getting a bad rap for a good reason. Many sugars can be broken down by various organs and throughout the body, but fructose can ONLY be broken down in the liver. This puts undue excess work/stress on your liver. It is bad enough now that fructose is so commonly used in everything on the grocerty shelves (mostly in the form of HFCS) that people being autopsied are showing signs of the same liver issues as alcoholics. (I think it's called FLD - fatty liver disease?? I forget -something like that....)

Here's an article that explains it better than I am:

http://articles.mercola.com/sites/articles/archive/2010/01/02/HighFructose-Corn-Syrup-Alters-Human-Metabolism.aspx

FWIW, I use stevia most of the time (for coffee, and tea, lemonade, on fruit and yogurt, and even hot cocoa in the winter), but I am not above it all. I use Splenda when I'm out and about plenty of the time, and have my share of Diet Coke when it's convenient. Boo! I know it's no good, but old habits die hard. But I do think stevia is the safest thing going....definitely worth moving toward in your purchasing habits (like getting xevia).

It's a tough sea to wade through all the info AND change habits! Good luck to you!

:-)

I mix (thawed) fruit juice concentrate with seltzer water- 1 part juice to 3 or 4 parts seltzer. Put the juice in first, then pour the seltzer- no need to stir! We get all of the fizzy without anything bad.

We make these too, and call them Italian sodas. If I have whipped cream, we add that. The kids like them, but I think they view them as "Mom's Health Food", not soda, IYKWIM. :tongue_smilie: