Menu

Petition: Ruth (lewelma) should write a book!

Skadi

The purpose of this thread is to allow Hive members to petition Ruth (lewelma) to write a science book.

For those of you who may have missed her threads, please read:

Scientific Inquiry

How important is science curriculum?

Rigorous Logic Stage Science Sequence

If there are any other great threads I might have forogtten to link, please let me know.

Ruth's book could talk more in depth about scientific inquiry vs. scientific history, how to incorporate WTM science in a practical way, how to choose those three science books per year, whether you should let your student just absorb what's in those science books or if you should require some sort of report, why you should resist the urge to just buy a boxed curriculum, why science is usually taught the way it is to children in classrooms, and of course science projects (this would probably be half the book). I'd love to hear more of her ancedotes on the projects she's done with her children, and it'd be great to see more problem-solving tips to keep science projects from hitting a brick wall.

I humbly submit that she contact Peace Hill Press to see if this is something they'd like to get involved with. If not, she should at least self-publish on Kindle!

What say the Hive? Will you join me on bended knee in asking Ruth to write a book in her copious free time? If you'd like to treat this as a kickstarter project, feel free to copy my pledge into your comment as a show of support.

I will absolutely buy Ruth's book about teaching children science. I'd be willing to pay $15 per copy.

Well, I'd hate to pressure a busy homeschool mom to write a book in her spare time, but I'd pay more than $15 for one. I think those threads are the only ones I've subscribed to. My dc are only 4 & 2; I wanted to be sure I could find her insight when it came time to tackle science.

So yes I'd love a book but I can wait a few years....no pressure from me:D

Well, I'd hate to pressure a busy homeschool mom to write a book in her spare time, but I'd pay more than $15 for one.

I agree with you! I just wasn't sure what monetary amount to pledge--I wanted something modest enough that virtually everyone could agree that it was reasonable.

I just saw that WTM is listed for $20 e-book and $30 hardcover. I'd be willing to pay that for Ruth's book. :001_smile: It's great that with the responses so far, the point being driven home (perhaps to a publisher turning an eye on this thread) is that the enthusiasm is definitely there.

Edited by Skadi

We need a poll. Those always get more numbers than normal posts. And I would pay more like $20-30.

:confused: I thought I could add a poll after I posted, but I think I forgot to check the "Create Poll" box and now it's not showing up for me as an option when I edit the post.

You guys are so good for my ego.

I would actually love to write a book. Some days I think I have written half a chapter just responding to questions on this board! :001_smile:

Ruth's book could talk more in depth about scientific inquiry vs. scientific history, how to incorporate WTM science in a practical way, how to choose those three science books per year, whether you should let your student just absorb what's in those science books or if you should require some sort of report, why you should resist the urge to just buy a boxed curriculum, why science is usually taught the way it is to children in classrooms, and of course science projects (this would probably be half the book). I'd love to hear more of her ancedotes on the projects she's done with her children, and it'd be great to see more problem-solving tips to keep science projects from hitting a brick wall.

What else would you suggest I add?

Ruth in NZ who is currently "vacationing" in Cleveland, Ohio :glare:

Best books for Mom and Dad to read to prepare to teach (or write one yourself .... sort of like Science Matters, but instead of being written to help people read newspaper articles, to help unsciencey parents feel (and be) prepared.)

but instead of being written to help people read newspaper artices, to help unsciencey parents feel (and be) prepared.

This is very interesting to me. You are making a distinction that I don't quite understand. Do you mind expanding on this for me? What do you need to feel prepared? What do "unsciencey" parents feel they are lacking?

Ruth

This is very interesting to me. You are making a distinction that I don't quite understand. Do you mind expanding on this for me? What do you need to feel prepared? What do "unsciencey" parents feel they are lacking?

Ruth

Well, I've done college chem, orgo, bio, physics, and biochem, so I am only speaking from the fears and dreads I read posted here. I also realize, in speaking to people at work (I work with 2000 people ranging from kitchen clean up crew to CEOs and MD and JDs) that PLENty of people have science phobia, big holes in their science understanding, or poor skills in detecting old wives tales from science.

Science Matters, the book, is a simple intro to the topics you might read about in the paper, or perhaps in the science section of The Economist magazine. I gives you a reader friendly intro to the terms and general theories and concepts as well as an intro to controversies. Some "how we know" info, too.

For teaching your child through middle school, I think it is very helpful for parents to have at least a solid through-middle school grounding in science. A parent who is never going to face stoichiometry might outsource in high school, but it would be fair that they have a solid understand of what their child is going to be doing in chemistry in the 7th grade.

So, I would propose a general science book covering through 9th grade science but *written for adults*, perhaps most specifically adults who didn't do chem lab in high school or college.

Do you see what I mean?

ETA: or even a book for science through 4th grade where the parents could become "fluent" enough in science to discuss it in conversation. I am of the belief a child learns a lot by hearing terms in normal conversation, and since kiddo has picked up such phrases as "coefficient of friction" from me, it has worked at least in my little sphere.

Edited by kalanamak

You guys are so good for my ego.

I would actually love to write a book. Some days I think I have written half a chapter just responding to questions on this board! :001_smile:

Definitely a lot on preparing for and developing individual interest-based science projects! I'd love a bit on evolution after your contributions to that thread, but it might have to be a separate book ;). I think a lot of non-sciencey parents feel uncomfortable with anything that isn't already printed out in a book--if it's not in a text or a kit, it's scary. Like not knowing what to do if an experiment in a kit goes wrong--to that sort of parent, designing their own projects might seem terrifying. If it could be broken down into simple (perhaps overly simple) steps, like you listed with your sons about defining and narrowing variables to test just a few parts, that might help, along with some resources/books listed for the parents to read to become more comfortable with the materials themselves.

I'd buy the book, too (ebook please - much easier in Australia). In fact, I'll offer to edit it: I was a scientific writer and editor before homeschooling.

Another good read to get a handle on how research should work is Bad Science by Ben Goldacre. He's a journo, from memory.

Here's his website, including a link to a TED talk:

http://www.badscience.net/

Get cracking Ruth! You can send your boys to Sydney for a few weeks and I'll look after them while you get on with writing....

D

I'd buy the book, too (ebook please - much easier in Australia). In fact, I'll offer to edit it: I was a scientific writer and editor before homeschooling.

Get cracking Ruth! You can send your boys to Sydney for a few weeks and I'll look after them while you get on with writing....

D

I'd be happy to read it for input....

Yes, I would love something to help me be a better teacher. I would love to teach science with concepts as the backbone and not just letting the next book teach for me.

I would love to know the concepts well enough to teach science so that I can integrate it, facilitate a real science discovery process in everything we learn and present real and effective presentations that draw from practical resources so that I can teach concepts that they can see and not just expect them to absorb them from the words of a book. I think I want more, but I'm so behind in this subject that I can't even give them words.:lol:

Honestly, just the tools to help both girls create and finish a project (as you did with your two sons) would be a great improvement in my house.

I would love to know the concepts well enough to teach science so that I can integrate it, facilitate a real science discovery process in everything we learn and present real and effective presentations that draw from practical resources so that I can teach concepts that they can see and not just expect them to absorb them from the words of a book. I think I want more, but I'm so behind in this subject that I can't even give them words.

I slept on this, and I think a list of concepts with vocab and examples of how to use it would be dandy. Just as we tell children "Aren't the bright colors of this petal beautiful?" and they learn what bright and petal are with a couple of repetitions, being able to say: "The flashlight runs on a battery, which STORES ENERGY" or "The water on the wet sole of the shoe REDUCES FRICTION, and allows it to slide on the smooth floor" or "See, I can move this with a lever when I couldn't with my bare hands because it is a SIMPLE MACHINE and gives us a MECHANICAL ADVANTAGE" or "Wow, that plant moves during the day to expose its leaves to sun the best it can, because the job of the leaves is PHOTOSYNTHESIS."

At least, this is what I try to remember to do, still, every chance I see.

Have you read about Alex the parrot? How they taught him by having two people discuss something, sometimes making a mistake and correcting themselves? "This key is RED, here, take the RED key."

"Oh, and it is ROUND on the end."

"No, no, it is POINTED on the end" (touching it)

"Of course, you are right, it is POINTED."

(Well, that but more natural. :D) That kind of learning .... in context, I think is very important for the youngers.

Edited by kalanamak

While I am also a lewelma fan and would love to see a book about scientific inquiry from her in particular- :) - I wanted to offer that anyone that is looking for a general science textbook in the meantime, a "how to talk about science", should really take a look at BFSU. I don't use BFSU myself, but when I read volume 1 I thought that that is pretty much what BFSU is (which is why I then felt I didn't need it, as I do have the background already to do what Nebel suggests).

While I am also a lewelma fan and would love to see a book about scientific inquiry from her in particular- :) - I wanted to offer that anyone that is looking for a general science textbook in the meantime, a "how to talk about science", should really take a look at BFSU. I don't use BFSU myself, but when I read volume 1 I thought that that is pretty much what BFSU is (which is why I then felt I didn't need it, as I do have the background already to do what Nebel suggests).

So many non-sciencey people are completely intimidated and overwhelmed by BFSU. I love it and use it open and go, but so many people can't. The info is great, but it is not very user-friendly. I also have no clue how to get the sort of projects Rush does planned, started, or run after using BFSU I.

Ruth, I have really enjoyed reading through your posts. You have given me a completely different perspective on science and how to teach it. You have opened my eyes to the fact that the way science is often taught is actually not really science or in other words so called "experiments" are often mere demonstrations not true experiments. I would love to see you expand on that topic a little more. I think it would be a helpful reminder to be able to go back and read why teaching science the way you have outlined can help our kids better understand science.

I would also love to read more details about how you go about teaching your kids science. I love the idea you have about doing a large science fair project at the end of the year. I myself would love to incorporate this into the way we do science but I would have no idea were to start. I would love to read more details about how you go about doing this and perhaps more guidance and step by step help in this process. I would also love to read a break down of the level of detail for a science project you would expect for different ages/stages. I think more guidance and help on the topic of scientific inquiry and the true scientific process would be really helpful. I would love more help on how to go about coming up with a scientific question/hypothesis, how to design an experiment, how to collect data, and how to know what data to collect, how to analyze the data, how to display the data (graphing, etc.), and then how to write up the results (as you have mentioned before that you need to include a discussion, assumptions and difficulties, etc.), etc. It would be helpful to read how to do those things overall, and in more detail or in a step by step format. Basically how to figure out a question to ask and then how to use the Scientific method to answer it.

In a past thread another poster asked you if you knew a book or resource "that might teach different methodologies for gathering and analyzing data for different science subjects". Something like that would be extremely helpful.

I hope some of that made some sense. I feel like when I read your posts I am very inspired to do science the "real" way, but when I try and think about how to incorporate your ideas into the way we do science my head starts to spin because I am not sciencey at all. Maybe you could just write a book like WTM but for science. :lol:Do what SWB did for history but for science!!!

Let's all go visit you! I don't live in Cleveland, but, er, it's a great reason to visit! :)

I'd love your book! Your posts are inspiring. Many people have written books far less informative than your posts on the boards.

Well, I have been thinking a bit.

Most of you know that there are 2 parts of science: the body of scientific knowledge and the scientific process. Any book I might write would have to be on the second part. There is just no way that I could summarize all scientific knowledge, plus there must be books out there that do.

I could, however, do justice to the scientific process. I see a book with 3 main parts:

1. The purpose of studying the scientific process. If you have goals then you are better able to teach. I would also differentiate between goals for elementary, middle, and secondary school.

So, for example, understanding the scientific process could help people understand why a single scientist or lab cannot tell you the answer to large questions (I am referring to the "Why americans are fat" thread on the general board). Another goal would be to be an an informed voter. What exactly does it mean when the UN states that there is a 90% certainty that humans are affecting the global climate? You need to understand the scientific method to understand the statistics that thrown about, not from a political point of view, but from a scientific point of view. Scientists give uncertainty levels, politicians decide what to do with the probabilistic information that scientists provide.

2. How to achieve the goals. Identifying your child's needs based on general knowledge requirements vs STEM majors, and based on learning styles. Listing multiple options to achieve the goals.

I would have detailed chapters on how to develop questions or expand standard demos to make them into mini-investigations depending on what your child's needs/goals are. Then a chapter on identifying a questions which is like developing a thesis for a persuasive paper -- you need a topic (the subject) and what you want to find out (the predicate). Then a chapter on how to identify the variables, the controls, the replications, etc. All based on the type of question that is being asked. Next, a chapter on how to teach kids to graph the results based on the type of variables. Finally, how to identify and discuss the assumptions, limitations, possibilities, conclusions, future work, etc (these are things I did not see discussed in the "what makes american's fat" thread. No research is perfect and the authors should have identified the limitations of their research. (and no, I did not read the papers, but I thought that that thread would be a shared example to make my point.))

3. Examples. Lots of examples of fully worked out investigations. Small to large. Simple to complex. Biology to Physics. 1st grade to 12th grade. Successful and failures (yes, they do happen). All with clear cut problem solving guides. What do you do when.... How do you know what to do when you are stuck... you get the picture.

Ok, what do you think?

Ruth

Edited by lewelma

A few chapters dedicated to approaching this with special needs learners would be appreciated here. Those for whom writing and connections do not come easily, examples/ideas for projects.

Good idea, but I think I would need to collaborate. I can come up with simpler projects, but there are so many different needs among special needs learners that I would not know how to cater for.

Ruth, I like the voice I hear when I read your writing.

I appreciate how you can explain things patiently without making your readers (even possibly an antagonistic reader) feel condescended to.

Please, do write. Start with something short that you can sell easily as an ebook.

I think description of your personal experience doing science with your children would be inspirational. As others mentioned, we really liked hearing how you lead your dc though scientific discovery, the science fair, etc.

Get us hooked--then write a big book. :001_smile:

SOLD! Can you have it ready by September? :D:lol:

Most of you know that there are 2 parts of science: the body of scientific knowledge and the scientific process. Any book I might write would have to be on the second part. There is just no way that I could summarize all scientific knowledge, plus there must be books out there that do.

I could, however, do justice to the scientific process. I see a book with 3 main parts:

1. The purpose of studying the scientific process. If you have goals then you are better able to teach. I would also differentiate between goals for elementary, middle, and secondary school.

So, for example, understanding the scientific process could help people understand why a single scientist or lab cannot tell you the answer to large questions (I am referring to the "Why americans are fat" thread on the general board). Another goal would be to be an an informed voter. What exactly does it mean when the UN states that there is a 90% certainty that humans are affecting the global climate? You need to understand the scientific method to understand the statistics that thrown about, not from a political point of view, but from a scientific point of view. Scientists give uncertainty levels, politicians decide what to do with the probabilistic information that scientists provide.

2. How to achieve the goals. Identifying your child's needs based on general knowledge requirements vs STEM majors, and based on learning styles. Listing multiple options to achieve the goals.

I would have detailed chapters on how to develop questions or expand standard demos to make them into mini-investigations depending on what your child's needs/goals are. Then a chapter on identifying a questions which is like developing a thesis for a persuasive paper -- you need a topic (the subject) and what you want to find out (the predicate). Then a chapter on how to identify the variables, the controls, the replications, etc. All based on the type of question that is being asked. Next, a chapter on how to teach kids to graph the results based on the type of variables. Finally, how to identify and discuss the assumptions, limitations, possibilities, conclusions, future work, etc (these are things I did not see discussed in the "what makes american's fat" thread. No research is perfect and the authors should have identified the limitations of their research. (and no, I did not read the papers, but I thought that that thread would be a shared example to make my point.))

3. Examples. Lots of examples of fully worked out investigations. Small to large. Simple to complex. Biology to Physics. 1st grade to 12th grade. Successful and failures (yes, they do happen). All with clear cut problem solving guides. What do you do when.... How do you know what to do when you are stuck... you get the picture.

Ok, what do you think?

Ruth

Ok, what do you think?

Ruth

Ditto to the others - I've also loved reading your posts & would love to get my hands on a book like this, written in your style. You are so very very accessible.

Please write quickly! :D

Ok, what do you think?

Ruth

Sounds great! I can't wait to read it! And don't be afraid to make it as long as you need to. I would rather have more help and examples than I need then not enough.

I would also love to read a break down of the level of detail for a science project you would expect for different ages/stages. I think more guidance and help on the topic of scientific inquiry and the true scientific process would be really helpful. I would love more help on how to go about coming up with a scientific question/hypothesis, how to design an experiment, how to collect data, and how to know what data to collect, how to analyze the data, how to display the data (graphing, etc.), and then how to write up the results (as you have mentioned before that you need to include a discussion, assumptions and difficulties, etc.), etc. It would be helpful to read how to do those things overall, and in more detail or in a step by step format. Basically how to figure out a question to ask and then how to use the Scientific method to answer it.

This would be included in every section to illustrate how to apply, how it has been applied, or how it is being applied to the various branches of science. *This would be used to help paint a picture of that science in my mind. *It would have a conversational tone like "the dissapearing spoon". *It could be as large as a textbook with a section for each part of science that people work with- evolution, microscopy, astro-whatever, ecology, geo-whatchacallit, polymers and aero planes and boats. *Each chapter could include historical stories or current research or significant contribution or contributor, whatever interesting trivia there is on the subject that might give us a little understanding into what the subject is, this would also be used to help paint a picture of that science in my mind, and everything in the quote above as an example to illustrate what a person can do with that kind of field of study will be included in each chapter, again, because it helps paint a picture of what you (or others) can actually do (have done) with that science.

I've really liked reading a lot of your posts. *I even google them to re-read them sometimes when something comes up that reminds me I wanted to remember what you said. *I do the same to that thread by NanRoss about narration, dictation, and copywork. *Thank you for your contribution to my personal education about childhood education here.

And I love that the meat of your book will be that I will understand the truth behind what they say in the news or politicians when they're quoting science i'll know if they know what they're talking about or just blowing smoke. *<<chuckling>>

Another goal would be to be an an informed voter. What exactly does it mean when the UN states that there is a 90% certainty that humans are affecting the global climate? You need to understand the scientific method to understand the statistics that thrown about, not from a political point of view, but from a scientific point of view. Scientists give uncertainty levels, politicians decide what to do with the probabilistic information that scientists provide.

/QUOTE]

On the first point, the book I've mentioned Science Matters, briefly touches on this why, but for the most part assumes the reader is interested and that is why they have picked up the book. I think a more cogent argument for science might well be important for non-sciency, layman parents looking to homeschool (I'm thinking you are talking about a book geared towards parents, right?) For instance, The War on Grammar gets one charged up to give grammar a leading role with examples and situations (e.g. high drop out rate in foreign languages because USians are suddenly learning both a language AND the underpinnings of grammar in the same class and it is too much)

The other two points sound fab! The third might be a huge undertaking. If it gets to be too much, you could refer to one of the many other books of hands on things, e.g. Van Cleeve or Rybolt with more in depth discussion of various, clearly named, activities from a few books. Many of these are cheap and easily available, at least here in the US.

Ok, what do you think?

Ruth

I love the ideas you have outlined here. Science (especially biology) was something I loved as a kid. I could observe the world around me and be fascinated. I could read and collect facts. What I could not do either then or now, was to apply my knowledge to create new understanding, ask questions and find answers by designing experiments.

The whole inquiry based approach to science stumps me. What questions should I ask? What makes a good question? Can I not just Google my way to the answers?...And how on earth should I go about designing a test?

I read with interest your posts on designing a kite for your son's science project - now that whole endeavor was so intimidating to me. I would love for my son to understand "how science is done" (and for me to understand it as well) - but I always come away with the feeling that this is too hard.

On the one hand a parent like me may choose an investigation which is too simple because it looks doable and end up not coming away with any understanding of how the scientific process applies to real world science because the scope chosen was too small. On the other hand choosing something fantastic is only going to end up in frustration.

So any book approaching this subject, I feel, would need to break down the entire process of selecting an inquiry topic and then performing the inquiry into clear steps which tell us "how to think" in addition to "how to do".

I just wanted to say thanks to the OP for gathering those three separate threads together. I learned a lot looking through them, and have decided to tweak BFSU slightly to fall a bit more in line with some of what Ruth has described. (Instead of jumping from topic to topic, we'll stay on wone thread for a year, and go a bit deeper)

I'm a very sciencey person myself (physics degree) and the jumping around in BFSU was the only thing I wasn't really liking. Thanks for giving "permission" to do this differently. Sometimes as a new homeschooler, I have a hard time stepping out of the box. I'm sure I'll get better at it soon enough. :-)

I stumbled on this thread the other day and it's been so informative! I went through all those links and figured, since a book would be a long time coming, that I would just compile and print out the highlights from those threads :) It's really helped clarify my thoughts concerning teaching Science. I had felt and heard from others that the WTM Math and Science recommendations, while good, weren't necessarily the best way of doing things to create truly math and science-literate kids.

Ruth, I love the outline you posted, that sounds like an excellent framework. And I agree with one of the other posters who mentioned not to be afraid of a book being too long. I always prefer too much information than too little :) WTM is pretty darn big and though I don't need most of it yet I like knowing the middle/high school info is there for when I need it later.

Not to sidetrack too much, but I was wondering in reading your previous posts what your approach to science in the preschool years is, if any? I have a crazy 4 year old who is a freak for learning, which is great, and he's gotten on these science kicks lately (space/astronomy and blood/anatomy mostly). For his preschool year (1st grade materials in Reading and Religion, K for Math and Handwriting) I was considering doing Geography as a precursor to starting real History work next year. For Science I was wondering what might be an equivalent precursor to the 4 year Science cycle? Maybe just nature-study, kind of Charlotte Mason-ish? Covering weather, seasons and such to give some good background knowledge before heading into true Biology next year?

• 2 months later...

Randomly wandering through Science with Ruth posts and had a comment on this matter. No, it doesn't make sense for Ruth to go about rewriting scientific history for us all. Plenty of other books to do that. Definitely focus on the "designing independent experiments" aspect.

But how about some lists of books, similar to WTM, to help with the scientific body of knowledge, things that are not textbooks. You know, list the basic scientific disciplines under each year/category and provide some resources: books that are good at grammar/logic stages, documentaries, journals to watch for current articles at layman understanding, etc.

Obviously, that section would be shorter than your specialty, the independent project. Perhaps some pointers on general ideas for independent projects in each area. Just a list of ideas to get those of us who have had the independent thinking trained out of us by years of science taught the other way. I remember being totally mystified in college chem when I had to come up with an area to study. I had no idea how to find an area that didn't already have an easy answer.

This thread is a few months old, so I hope Ruth is still thinking about writing a book! I think it would be an amazing resource.

In general, I would love to encorporate more "real life" experiences in all subjects. Do Science like scientists. Do Art like artists. Write like writers. And so on...

Also, I would also love an evolution curriculum. I had to make my own this year and though it was adequate, I know we didn't go into the depth we could have. So, Ruth, in all your copious spare time there is another project for you. ;)

Thanks guys. Great ideas. Now just send me some time. :001_smile:

Ideas are percolating though, and I wonder if I should just start writing a couple of pages a day and see where it leads me. My thinking is never clear until I write! One problem I have with describing investigations, is that I have to DO them to see where the problems are. I cannot just make one up and then predict problems. Research just doesn't work that way. So I am having trouble figuring out how to write up more investigations than I have done. This year will be interesting because I am definitely out of my depth in chemistry. I will have empathy for the novice, because that is what I will be. A novice. Hopefully, it will lead me to insights as to why investigations are so hard for so many well-intentioned homeschoolers. My plan is to just wing it. But clearly I have more understanding than someone not trained in science, I just can't see exactly what I know that a non-scientist doesn't. Clearly I have some transferable knowledge from statistical ecology into chemical/environmental engineering (ds's current investigation), just not sure what that knowledge is, which makes it hard to explain. I never know what I am doing when we do an investigation. I just tackle the problems as they arise. Perhaps I just have no fear. :001_smile:

I also would love to review all the different curricula that people talk about, but I don't really want to have to buy them. How do I get publishers to send me a free copy? I am definitely opinionated when it comes to teaching good science. :D

I do think there is a need for an evolution curriculum for logic stage. Never heard of one.

Ruth in NZ

Edited by lewelma

Any and all WTMer's must just send their science curricula to you when they are done with it (or when they decide it's not working for them) so you can review it properly. :D

There are enough people on here that you should receive at least one of almost every science curriculum ever written. Then, with the knowledge you gain on what NOT to do for teaching science as presented in these books, you'll know how to write your book.

Being a brand new-ish homeschooler, I don't even have one I can "pledge" to you. I only have BFSU, and am actually using it. :D

Edited by fraidycat