Menu

What Grade?....Need Advice!!

My oldest turned 7 in May, and here in NC that's the age that we need to inform the state that we are homeschooling.

We have been homeschooling him since he was 4, that is when he first showed interest in writing, counting and things like that. Well now at 7 he is more than halfway through his 1st grade work. He is reading at a 2nd grade level, thanks to 100EZ lessons.

My question is....when we fill out the Notice of Intent what "grade" do I list him in?

:bigear: I'm all ears for any advice!

Why not just make it easy and list him as the grade he would be in had he entered public school?

Lots of homeschoolers are doing this higher grade level of work in this subject, and a lower grade level in that subject, and an even higher grade level in that subject...the beauty of homeschooling.

For NC reporting purposes, they aren't going to put any thought into what you write down, just that you write something down. Why not just go the easy route?

I would list him as the age=grad that he would be in the public school. Here in Texas that would be 2nd this coming year, unless he has a late birthday then it would be 1st. It doesn't matter what level your child works at, there is no advantage at this stage of accelerating a grade. That can be done later at graduation time, when he or she has met all the requirements. ;-)

First of all, NC law does not require you to provide DNPE with the names of the children you will be homeschooling, nor the grade level of any children you're homeschooling. Please don't over-comply with the law.

Second, the *grade level* of your child, IMHO, should be the one he would be in if he were in school, which would be second grade in the fall. His level of academic ability is irrelevant for purposes of indicating a "grade level."

First of all, NC law does not require you to provide DNPE with the names of the children you will be homeschooling, nor the grade level of any children you're homeschooling. Please don't over-comply with the law.

Second, the *grade level* of your child, IMHO, should be the one he would be in if he were in school, which would be second grade in the fall. His level of academic ability is irrelevant for purposes of indicating a "grade level."

This. I just put my kids in the grade they would be by their age. But in all honesty their school-work is above, at, or below that grade level depending on subject or sub-topic. "Grade" levels just help when placing your child in community sports or co-op classes etc.

Place him in a grade according to his age, no matter what the number on his books is. :001_smile: What grade are the other boys his age doing? If redshirting boys is the norm in your area I'd probably go with grade 1. Even though he's not schooling with those boys, those are the boys he will do sports, scouts and such with.

My almost 7yo DD will be a second grader this year. She's also been homeschooled from the beginning. None of the books she will use say 2 on the front, but that's absolutely where she needs to be socially. :001_smile:

Thank you all for the quick responses!

I just re-looked at the notice of intent form online and all I need to do for my son is mark that we have 1 boy the age of 7.

Thanks again ladies, I know where to come if/when I have more questions! :)

Of course, it could be that I'm just that kind of person :D but since the law doesn't require hsers to (1) use the on-line form, or (2) indicate ages or sex of the children they're homeschooling, I wouldn't even provide that much. If I decided to use the on-line form, I'd enter "N/A" on all lines that were not required by law.

I've always said that I'd be the first test case if I lived in some states, and NC would be one of those states. :D

Of course, it could be that I'm just that kind of person :D but since the law doesn't require hsers to (1) use the on-line form, or (2) indicate ages or sex of the children they're homeschooling, I wouldn't even provide that much. If I decided to use the on-line form, I'd enter "N/A" on all lines that were not required by law.

I've always said that I'd be the first test case if I lived in some states, and NC would be one of those states. :D

If I am not required to use the online form(which I thought I was) then how do I send the Notice of Intent?

7 in May is 2nd grade almost anywhere. (My youngest just turned 7 in May, too.)

You could list also very acceptably list 1st if that is more appropriate for him developmentally (social/academic.) May still falls into the hold back or repeat category for many students who need it.

None of the books she will use say 2 on the front, but that's absolutely where she needs to be socially.

Yup. For academic purposes, who cares? You're gonna do what you're gonna do. For social purposes, people will ask what grade he is in and it's just easiest on him (and you) if the answer is something age-typical in society at large.

Edited by zenjenn

My oldest turned 7 in May, and here in NC that's the age that we need to inform the state that we are homeschooling.

Yes, you just need to identify gender and age, not grade.

If your son turned 7 in May, you probably should have registered him already.

You're supposed to register the year in which your child turns 7 before June 1. However, they don't allow registrations in May and June, and they recommend you register 30 days before the birthday. So, theoretically, you should have registered in April.

I don't think they're really going to care, but just clarifying a bit!

http://www.ncdnpe.org/hhh103.aspx

Look at items 2, 3, and 4 under Reminders.

If I am not required to use the online form(which I thought I was) then how do I send the Notice of Intent?

You write it out on a piece of paper and send it in.

Please note that I am NOT advising you to do so. I'm pointing out the importance of knowing what the law is, and complying with the law to the fullest. If you are comfortable doing the on-line form, then do that; but *I*, as a member of HSLDA, would call HSLDA and ask for legal advice on what to do. Here is HSLDA's article on these new "requirements."

While you're at it, read these other headlines regarding DNPE's actions.

NC has a decent law. Now if the state would just obey its own law, the way it expects its citizens to, everyone would be happy.

Why not just make it easy and list him as the grade he would be in had he entered public school?

Lots of homeschoolers are doing this higher grade level of work in this subject, and a lower grade level in that subject, and an even higher grade level in that subject...the beauty of homeschooling.

For NC reporting purposes, they aren't going to put any thought into what you write down, just that you write something down. Why not just go the easy route?

:iagree:

This is what everyone we know does here in NC. They are so understaffed that they are unlikely to even notice.