Menu

I got an interesting letter from our county school superintendent today...

You should ask the superintendent for a list of all the addresses of students attending public school in your county, so that you can send them a very nice letter explaining how homeschooling students make the public school's much touted SAT scores look paltry.

:thumbup:

• Replies 140
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I disagree. This letter is no different from a phishing scam. If they want to know why people homeschool, they should get a computer and google it. I would send the letter to HSLDA and let them address it. I get hostile because the public schools treat us with hostility. The minute they have your info, they WILL use it against you. I don't trust them and I never will.

:iagree:

I'm a former public schoolteacher and in agreement with the above sentiment. This is another reason I am glad I homeschool in TX where I do not have to register my family's info with the powers that be.

It sounds to me like he is looking for more info about who is actively homeschooling in the district. He has an old list and wants a new one. As someone who live in a 'high requirements' state, I say throw it away!

If you had the $$ you could always give him a copy of TWTM. Just drop it off with his letter inside and no name. That is his answer!

I disagree. This letter is no different from a phishing scam. If they want to know why people homeschool, they should get a computer and google it. I would send the letter to HSLDA and let them address it. I get hostile because the public schools treat us with hostility. The minute they have your info, they WILL use it against you. I don't trust them and I never will.

Googling reasons for homeschooling will give them no useful data about local homeschoolers. They may be wondering if there are reasons specific to them and the area.

Why should the HSLDA get a copy of the letter? Is it threatening? Is it attmepting to deceive? Is it part of an attempt to deny homeschoolers their rights? Honestly, the HSLDA is not a nanny. We are not children. If a person doesn't want to respond they can throw out the letter. If a person objects to the letter being sent they can call up the sender themselves and complain.

The letter is not hostile at all. It's just a request for some information and an offering of other information.

Oh, ignore it. Please. Don't encourage those people.

Of course, it might not hurt to make corrections in red ink and mail it back

anonymously...

:iagree: I try to have as little to do with our school district as possible. I'm not hostile, just not interested. Right now, I'm waiting for that little letter from them that says they reviewed my portfolio and "xyz". Legally, they aren't allowed to tell me how to run my homeschool, but bless their hearts they sure do try.

I would respond. It seems as if they made a genuine effort and really tried to be non offensive, and if they want to know why I homeschool, I would be more than happy to explain it to them.

I don't get the hostility.

:iagree:Public school is a business, and just like any other bussiness they need customers. The probably have ALOT less students than they did ten years ago. And people are lossing their jobs: Teachers, school nurses, janitors, principals, etc.

I am in Louisiana. And there are TONS more people that homeschool theses days, than when I was homeschooled (about 15 years ago). There is a new homeschool "like" program called K12. http://www.k12.com/ It is still sanctioned by the public school system, but the child gets to work at home. They are actively seeking out homeschoolers in Louisiana to get them signed up for this program.

I wonder if the schools feel threatened. I know a lot of people who have pulled their kids out of the public schools over the last year or so.

Odd. My friends in Stanley county got a similar type letter, although they didn't ask for a letter back, they asked for residents to attend a meeting (can't remember if it was a general parent meeting or to come meet individually) to discuss "educational options" for their children! :glare:

I am quite sure we as homeschoolers are well aware of our educational options, which is why we HOMESCHOOL! :lol:

Dawn

I would respond. It seems as if they made a genuine effort and really tried to be non offensive, and if they want to know why I homeschool, I would be more than happy to explain it to them.

:iagree: I think it's an inoffensive letter, but I can see putting the bit in about not intending to offend, given the number of homeschoolers who get their backs up about "gratuitous data" being requested.

If I saw an increase in movement away from the service I provide, I would want to know why, particularly if it was an exit of current "customers", as that seems more in line with a rejection than a choice between various options. Answers from those who feel religiously convicted, because of special issues in their family, or simply choose to homeschool because they feel it is the gold standard of education probably won't have much bearing on affecting positive change in the way they do business, but those who made the choice in reaction to experienced or assumed problems may provide valuable insight into areas where change can be made.

If I saw an increase in movement away from the service I provide, I would want to know why, particularly if it was an exit of current "customers", as that seems more in line with a rejection than a choice between various options. Answers from those who feel religiously convicted, because of special issues in their family, or simply choose to homeschool because they feel it is the gold standard of education probably won't have much bearing on affecting positive change in the way they do business, but those who made the choice in reaction to experienced or assumed problems may provide valuable insight into areas where change can be made.

Exactly. I'd be especially inclined to return it if it were a case of something like 'Everything was okay except you used Everyday Math and that was SO bad we decided to homeschool just over that.'

:iagree:Ignore, ignore, ignore. The more they gather the more they want.

Kind of off topic related...

Here, our state is regulated. A few years ago they sold & released the names of homeschool students, their addresses and complete student and family information on file. The info included names, dobs, addresses, phone numbers, e-mails etc.

(We now file an additional form each year so they don't release information...they never release ps students info btw.)

While public schools have a number of regulatory limitations, there may be some things we can do to serve children who might otherwise home school. If you are willing to provide us with this information, please fax (xxx-xxxx) or email (...@...) the form on the back of this letter. If you email, please put "home school" in the subject line. We need three pieces of information to process your feedback (1) the name of your home school (2) if you school is still in operation and (3) the reason(s) you chose to home school.

I don't understand what it is they are asking. For ideas to keep kids in ps? To reach out and provide programs for hsers?

And why would they then need to know the name of your homeschool and the reason you chose to homeschool to "process your feedback"?

I'm jaded. I'd toss it.

Why should the HSLDA get a copy of the letter? Is it threatening? Is it attmepting to deceive? Is it part of an attempt to deny homeschoolers their rights? Honestly, the HSLDA is not a nanny. We are not children. If a person doesn't want to respond they can throw out the letter. If a person objects to the letter being sent they can call up the sender themselves and complain.

:iagree::iagree::iagree:

For me personally, I would circular file it. But I try to have as little contact with the Board of Ed as possible.

I agree.

I don't really get the hostility, either. He is just trying to get ideas of why people homeschool. He is not over-stepping in that he neither threatened nor pressured. I would not answer, but I would not be hostile about it, neither would I see a reason to call HSLDA.

I don't understand what it is they are asking. For ideas to keep kids in ps? To reach out and provide programs for

NC does not allow homeschoolers to participate in PS programs of any kind.

I don't think I'm being hostile when I say to throw the letter away. If the county truly wanted to understand homeschooling, they should Google for the information. There is so much information right at their fingertips. They wouldn't have needed to spend money on all that paper, ink, and stamps.

I disagree - this would not give them any information about the reasons people in their school district homeschool: is it religious preference - or a lack of a gifted program or adequate special needs accommodation in the schools? Knowing general reasons why "people" homeschool does not tell them why local people choose to homeschool.

Maybe, just maybe, they would like to know what people bugs about the local ps and FIX that.

I do not think the letter is offensive, and would even go so far as to say it may be this district is really trying to identify what the parents of the district are unhappy about. I can't say if I would answer it because I do not know what the climate for homeschooling is like in your area. I will say that I would be more inclined to participate if it was an anonymous survey form since it would require less work on my part and assure me there was no hidden agenda.

We received a similar letter but it did not ask us to indentify ourselves in our response and it primarily asked what kind of services/programs we would be interested in receiving from the school district. They said they wanted to help us achieve our goals. I felt our letter was more genuine. I find it really odd that they are specifically asking for you to identify yourself and tell why you are homeschooling, but not asking how they can help you.

I would be be very, very tempted to respond to the letter because I could supply him with an extremely long list of reasons why I homeschool. The list goes well beyond why I began homeschooling. I've had four children in our local public schools and I'm confident of my choice to homeschool at this point.

I do think the schools feel threatened by homeschoolers and that includes not getting money for each child that doesn't attend school. It really does seem to be a market research type letter. Basically, they are asking if there's something they have the ability to change that will cause people to keep their children in the schools and they are telling you what you might be missing (all those clubs and sports!).

We received a similar letter but it did not ask us to indentify ourselves in our response and it primarily asked what kind of services/programs we would be interested in receiving from the school district. They said they wanted to help us achieve our goals. I felt our letter was more genuine. I find it really odd that they are specifically asking for you to identify yourself and tell why you are homeschooling, but not asking how they can help you.

I find the letter that you received to be disingenuous. NC law does not allow homeschoolers to participate in PS programs. This means that they are looking for ways to draw homeschoolers back into PS, not looking for ways to support or provide programs to homeschoolers.

I disagree - this would not give them any information about the reasons people in their school district homeschool: is it religious preference - or a lack of a gifted program or adequate special needs accommodation in the schools? Knowing general reasons why "people" homeschool does not tell them why local people choose to homeschool.

Maybe, just maybe, they would like to know what people bugs about the local ps and FIX that.

There are many reasons to homeschool. If people respond, they will likely get all the reasons you mentioned and more. That's no different than the homeschooling population of all the U.S. I might say I don't like the schools but I wouldn't be talking about a specific school. I would feel the same way about homeschooling regardless of what kind of school district we are in. And I don't believe the schools would make any changes based on these responses anyway. They aren't going to change their SN or gifted classes without a major overhaul from the top of the school district. They won't be able to change the student/teacher ratio. They won't be able to change the curriculum. I really see this letter as an intent to satisfy curiosity. I'm also fairly sure this information will be used against homeschoolers in some fashion. I'm glad I live in a state that doesn't monitor homeschoolers. We're told to cover all of the basic subjects but we're not told how to do it. I do worry the laws will change though. I just don't want to give anymore information than I absolutely have to give. I don't want anyone telling me how to educate my children. That defeats the purpose of homeschooling for me.

The letter is a little weird, particularly the last paragraph.

But I would welcome the opportunity to inform our district about why we chose to homeschool (and subsequently enroll our children in a private school). They are always moaning about declining enrollment, but never try to find out why families are choosing not to enroll their school age children. Our reasons have much to do with district policies and decisions.

I would use the letter as a lesson on how to write a letter and ask others for information you really don't need. It sounds humble and sweet, and it sounds like his intentions are not nefarious. But, I don't presume to believe that any information I passed on would stay in humble and sweet hands. Of course, I am pretty biased about anything bureaucratic knowing more about me. I'm not going to provide anything by choice. I also don't trust every dog that is wagging its tail at me either. They may look harmless, but he's a public school educator, who knows what kind of pressure he is getting from above.

If I homeschooled for reasons that had to do with poor service from that particular district I might send an anonymous reply.

My other concern would be the information being used to make further requirements from the state. Isn't NC the state that sent out voluntary portfolio reviews, just to help you homeschooling parents out?

I follow my state law to the letter of the law, I don't hate my public schools, but I just don't think they need more info on me.

I found the letter to be humble (in that at no point did he put down homeschooling, just offered information about the ps for those that would opt to go that route), informative and yes seeking information but it is not like they asked for birthdates, grades and social security numbers, just why you homeschool. They even say if you don't want to respond toss the letter. No skin off his nose kwim. I don't get the hostility about it. If you do not want to have contact with the school board toss it out and move on. No need to be snarky in reply to it. If you choose to reply do so following the spirit of the letter which I feel was out of honest curiousity. Perhaps they are looking for ways to improve their schools so that more parents want to put their kids in. Maybe they are looking for ways to create programming for homeschoolers. Maybe the guy is just nosy. Who knows but I didn't read any negative intentions into the letter.

:iagree: I felt the tone of the letter leaned more toward the humble side. In fact, I see it as he is gathering information to use to help improve the schools in his area. We all agree that in large degree the public school system is failing many students so if we can be instruments to help them improve, then we should do it. He admits in his letter that he is frustrated with all the controls that he is up to now unable to break free from. Perhaps he is looking for ammunition to use in some kind of proposal that would help the local schools gain more control over things.

If you are worried about any backlash, send in your comments anonymously. IMHO it is a bit callous to not want to help the schools improve.

I might send a copy to HSLDA, not so they can act on it, but so they can help watch for any trends that could be detrimental to homeschooling. Just because you alert them to the letter doesn't mean they will do anything about it.

I would be suspicious of the letter because they want to know lots of personal information. Why do they need to know the name of my school and such? So they can then later solicit me?

I find the letter that you received to be disingenuous. NC law does not allow homeschoolers to participate in PS programs. This means that they are looking for ways to draw homeschoolers back into PS, not looking for ways to support or provide programs to homeschoolers.

Sorry, I am not familiar with NC law. I live in another state and we have dozens of public school programs for homeschoolers.

I can tell you that I wouldn't respond, but it's simply because I never respond to surveys in the mail. Every time we use our doctors or the hospital, we get a survey in the mail and I always toss it. I just don't want to take the time or effort to comply.

As for this letter, it seems like they just want to see if they can offer improvements to their school and maybe attract more students. It didn't read as pushy to me at all.

Dear Home School...

This letter was mailed to all known home schools in the county. We suspect the data base is a little old and some of you may no longer be home schooling due to graduation of your children or the return of your children to public school. We apologize up front if you received this letter inadvertently or if you do not want to be contacted by the public schools. If either applies, please disregard this letter.

Maybe you should look on the DNPE web site where all homeschools are listed by county? It is updated every Monday.

The purpose of this letter is two-fold. First, we want to gather a little information about the reasons you chose to home school. That will help do a better job of serving the children of the community in the future. While public schools have a number of regulatory limitations, there may be some things we can do to serve children who might otherwise home school. If you are willing to provide us with this information, please fax (xxx-xxxx) or email (...@...) the form on the back of this letter. If you email, please put "home school" in the subject line. We need three pieces of information to process your feedback (1) the name of your home school (2) if you school is still in operation and (3) the reason(s) you chose to home school.

This sounds like they are loosing students to homeschooling, especially due to this statement: "there may be some things we can do to serve children who otherwise might homeschool." Maybe they are trying to figure out why.

Also, they have no responsibility to determine if your school is open or not, that responsibility lies with DNPE. I would suspect that they are going to try to target individuals based on their responses. Gah.

I'm with others - just file it in the trash can.

In CA, our schools are in huge trouble. Federal Ed policy, our enourmous state Department of Ed bureacracy, test requirements, and teacher's unions have absolutely crippled schools' ability to innovate and educate, and now the money flow is being cut off.

There is very little our schools can do about the crisis on a school-by-school, district-by-district level.

Therefore, they go after the symtoms of the problem, because it is something they can do. One symptom is declining ps enrollement in favor of charter schools, private schools or hs'ing.

Probably, in some district meeting, someone proposed a survey to evaluate why families in the district choose hs'ing. And then someone was assigned to write and send that letter.

The reality is, the school district already knows why families are opting out. And there really isn't much they can do about it. In my opinion, answering the letter, or not, it not going to make a lick of difference to your local school district.

Sorry to sound negative. But we have dialogued so much over the years with many of our dear friends who work for the ps. Its a mess, and homeschooling is not the cause. To put any energy into pursuing that theory is a huge waste of time.

This is similar to things that are happening around here. School districts are losing ada money (average daily attendance). Our school districts are offering their own brand of cyber schooling now. Not k12, but a program that offers online instruction in the convenience of own home. This way the school gets the ada money, and parents still get the flexibility of "homeschooling".

Same here in our district. As budgets fail and ps are struggling, the outreach to our hs community has increased for very obvious reasons.

I'd be inclined to send a reply anonymously to the superintendent stating that I appreciate the freedoms in our country that allow us options in education. I would state that although I recognize the need for public schools in the community, they cannot possibly meet the needs of every student and family. To have the choice of home education, private or public school is a basic right that we prefer to exercise. I'm not sure if I would go beyond that or not, but I believe this would be my main point.

Blessings,

Lucinda

It sounds to me like he is looking for more info about who is actively homeschooling in the district. He has an old list and wants a new one.

All he has to do to get a current list is to go to the NC DNPE (North Carolina Division of Non-Public Education) web site, it's there for the entire world to see.

I would respond. Any effort they want to make to improve schools, teach kids at their own individual pace, have more challenging curriculums, allow kids access to college credits early, teach logic and latin, etc would be good for them. Efforts to increase discipline despite potential legal hurdles would also be good for them.

I'm guessing from your signature and the name of your school though, that a lot of your reasons are religious.

And not to be snarky, I would include an edited copy of that letter, marked with red ink, as an example of why public education is not a great option. I would be respectful about it, but... yeah.

Red line edit it and mail it back. "This is why we homeschool, you idiot."

Almost spit my coffee out!!!!!

I wouldn't send any personal information back but would redline edit! He/she is trying to "prove" to you that their schools are potentially "better" than what you are doing at home. Don't fall for it.

I am always wary of anyone collecting gratuitous data on myself or my family. However, his intentions may be what he says they are. If that's the case, I also find it interesting. Is he really surveying homeschoolers to see how he can improve his county schools? If so, for what reason? I would assume those reasons are to better retain or regain students. More students=more money for the system. More students also result in larger student bodies, and most districts are in no position to build new additions to keep up with a large influx of students. Has a charter school or new private school opened recently that is draining the county schools even more? My guess that he is trying to plug a budget shortfall with acquiring more students or trying to retain current students. It is odd to go to the "dissatisfied customer" for business advice, though.

No need for snark, ridicule, or judgement. He sounds genuine, if not a bit illiterate, and seems sincere in wanting to learn about the homeschooling community. No need to be mean; why not show the homeschooling world at its best? Let him know why you home school and that there is nothing a school district could do to intrigue or entice you to participate. Help him to gain a better knowledge of your local home school climate and how groups are organized, etc. Be a representative of what is good about homeschooling and the parents involved.

All public schools (especially her in California) are suffering financially and desire to increase enrollments. With that scenario, they are willing to make concessions to niche populations to gain their enrollment. It is not an insidious ploy, just a desire for information to help make decisions regarding program. His tone sounds as if he's dealt with some ugliness from the home school community. It doesn't have to continue in that vein. This is a great time to be the bigger person and respond with grace.

Choose to act, not react.

Being kind and taking the high road does in no way imply cooperating with his plans or revealing personal information or being drawn into a scheme. It implies confidence, maturity, and strength. As a community we are weakened by fear and the mongering of oppositional relationships with the public schools.

Edited by nrg
resurrecting a kitten

Red line edit it and mail it back. "This is why we homeschool, you idiot."

I probably wouldn't bother giving him the information he asked, and honestly would probably just file it in the recycle bin and not think about it anymore.

Please do the above and send it back!!! They're invading your territory, in a sense by mailing that letter, so being Miss Manners polite isn't appropriate. I see this as veiled hostility.

And, btw, way, way too many schools are able to manipulate data that makes them look sterling. It seems every school thinks they're one of the exceptions.

Okay, climbing off my soapbox. (We need a smiley that shows climbing off a soapbox!!)

Alley

Ok, see, here's the thing:

NC hsers have to file a one-time notice of intent to homeschool. Apparently, the Division of Non Public Education (DNPE) has given that information to another state division. Is this even legal? Also, DNPE has a long, long track record of overstepping its legal authority, which it can only do so consistently because homeschoolers over-comply with the law (and, in fact, the state homeschool association encourages this). So although this is a different department, on principle I wouldn't have anything to do with it.

I don't believe that cheerfully participating in this survey will benefit anyone. I'd like to, and maybe I'm too cynical, but I just don't think it will. I guess I've seen too much over the last 25 years to believe it.

The names of all homeschools and their chief administrator (parent) are considered public records in NC. They are readily accessible on the DNPE website, conveniently organized by county.

Let's be honest; they are not interested in your responses so they can make improvements. They are interested in your response so they know how to counteract them and how to advertise themselves better.

I have to wonder if the situation with the K12 charter school that was supposed to open this fall (but now isn't) could be fueling this. I know that there was a lot coverage in the N&O about how the charter school would funnel money away from local counties if current homeschoolers decided to sign up for the K12 charter school instead of homeschooling independently. If I were a public school administrator looking at how many homeschoolers there were in my county, then I would be worried. It only takes a few homeschoolers switching to the K12 charter to seriously affect budgeting.

For the record, I would trash the letter.

Please do the above and send it back!!! They're invading your territory, in a sense by mailing that letter, so being Miss Manners polite isn't appropriate. I see this as veiled hostility.

And, btw, way, way too many schools are able to manipulate data that makes them look sterling. It seems every school thinks they're one of the exceptions.

Okay, climbing off my soapbox. (We need a smiley that shows climbing off a soapbox!!)

Alley

Oh, please. However is a letter that is cautious in tone and makes clear a response is optional invading one's territory, even "in a sense?" Hostility? Nakia is under no obligation, real or implied, to send a response, so what is the big deal? You know what? I want our public schools to succeed. My kids aren't going to be living in a vacuum, but as part if a larger community which is comprised primarily of publicly schooled individuals. If you live in an area hostile (real or perceived) to homeschoolers, by all means, keep your cards close to your chest, but the idea we have to run to HSLDA if one of "them" even dares to contact us is paranoid at worst and silly at best. I have seen letters that misrepresent the obligations of homeschoolers wrt information gathering, etc. This does not fall into that category.