Menu

Handwriting without tears question

plmzk

For the Kindergarten and first grade, is t absolutely necessary to get the teacher workbook along with the student book? I don't mind getting it, but I can't see that "I" would need too much instruction on teaching to write the kiddo the letters. Am I wrong? This will be first year of "formal" schooling for us, so I am clueless as far as what "I" would need for instruction.

I borrowed a TM for the cursive (I never looked at a TM for the manuscript, though I've used both.)

IMO, the "philosophy" is pretty obvious and self-explanatory if you, as teacher, look at the student workbook. I would take a few minutes and go over each lesson with my child and then let them roll.

I don't mean to be smug or anything. I know things like this aren't equally intuitive for everyone. I would get the student workbook and if you don't find the student workbook self-explanatory, then get the TM. But really, it's not rocket science, and a lot of what is in the TM guides the teacher in doing *classroom* activities that I find a bit contrived for the dynamic I have at home. (Caveat: I do not do all the classroom stuff like some families do, with the calendar, circle time, puppets, and whatnot. We just crack open books and learn together.)

We got a teacher's manual for K, but did not use it much. You definitely do not need one for each grade -- perhaps a cursive version later on. If you have a leftie, the teacher's manual might be very handy. But otherwise you can skip it. HWT website has some teaching videos as well.

We've used K and 2nd. I did enjoy reading through the first pages (say 10?) but the lesson pages I never looked at again. If I had to suggest buying one - I'd say get the K one, it explains all the concepts used in the program. You definitely don't need 1 for each level. JMO.