Menu

History Odyssey Questions

AsgardCA

We're going to be starting HO in the second half of this school year. I'm getting a bit ahead of myself, but I'm just trying to figure out how the years would work for all my kids.

Oldest DS is 6, followed by DS4, DS3, & DD1. When they eventually get to HO, is there any way I could keep them all on the same era? I figure DD will be 5 when DS6 gets to Ancients 2, so they'll be on the same cycle, but I'm lost with the middle 2.

Is it at all possible, when they start HO, to start DS4 at Early Modern 1 if that's what oldest DS is on, and start DS3 on Modern 1 with them the next year? What about Ancients & Middle Ages (& Early Modern for DS3)? I think I'm looking forward to Ancients & Middle Ages the most, personally, so I'd be sad to skip those for the younger boys. I'd like to keep everything in chronological order, too, rather than Modern, Ancients, Middle Ages...

How do you teach 2+ eras at a time? I'd really looove to keep everyone on the same time period for read aloud & activity purposes..

I found problems starting young ones later on in the cycle with SOTW and with H.O. because the later end of the cycle (for both series) is written to an older audience, and so is actually HARDER. I tried unsuccessfully with both curriculums on different occasions to teach to different ages simultaneously. My best effort ended up deciding to guide the older child along the age-matched trivium track, and to use that as a spine of content for the younger one, but NOT the same acutal materials. (So if the subject was the Revolutionary War, the older child is working out of H.O. and the younger child might be being read picture books on George Washington, Thomas Jefferson, Ben Franklin, etc., then mom is showing DC on a wall map where these places are, etc. - mom just has to take her library cue from the older one's spine). It was a bit tricky for me. I had better luck just investing the time in having each DC at their time period on the cycle. KWIM? Not to say it can't be done - I know some people do, but I just couldn't do it justice...

Good luck!

I found problems starting young ones later on in the cycle with SOTW and with H.O. because the later end of the cycle (for both series) is written to an older audience, and so is actually HARDER. I tried unsuccessfully with both curriculums on different occasions to teach to different ages simultaneously. My best effort ended up deciding to guide the older child along the age-matched trivium track, and to use that as a spine of content for the younger one, but NOT the same acutal materials. (So if the subject was the Revolutionary War, the older child is working out of H.O. and the younger child might be being read picture books on George Washington, Thomas Jefferson, Ben Franklin, etc., then mom is showing DC on a wall map where these places are, etc. - mom just has to take her library cue from the older one's spine). It was a bit tricky for me. I had better luck just investing the time in having each DC at their time period on the cycle. KWIM? Not to say it can't be done - I know some people do, but I just couldn't do it justice...

Good luck!

Thank you. I'm not sure where this leaves me. I guess I can at least aim for my middle boys starting at the same time and have 2 cycles going. Hmm..