Menu

We just finished a FABULOUS read aloud.

Alicia64

The Enormous Egg - a whimsical story about a little boy in the 1950's who discovers a real dinosaur egg (it was recommended on this board); and

We read this last year and my 5 year old ADORED it... I remembered halfway through that I'd read this (or had someone read it to me) when I was a child...

cute story....

Loved Abel's Island, but we liked Rabbit Hill and The Tough Winter even better.

We are reading this one too! We love it! My 4 year old son has made a trumpet out of one of his dragon figurines and he "plays" it daily.

We are getting ready to read Abel's Island which we've enjoyed in the past. It's time for round 2 with that one.

My oldest is loving the Little House books. She also begs for a new chapter of Story of the World Volume 1 every day. We use Tapestry but have been using SOTW as a read aloud. She's in love with it! :lol:

What ages are these books for? We just read Jumanji and The Enormous Crocodile to my 7 & 5 yr old (the 5 yr old was scared of both books!) I thought those were fun reads ... I want to do Charlotte's Web and Trumpet of the Swan but thought they were too young... is that not right?

I think it depends on the child. I will tell you that I read Charlotte's Web to my boys when they were 7 -- and one of my boys started crying when he realized Charlotte died. He so irritated w/ me for reading it to him.

He still wanted that "happily ever after" thing.

He's 9 and not much different today. :lol:

Alley

The Boxcar Children - my kids never get sick of this series -even the 2yo listens. I'm on the third book of the series -I don't know if we'll ever get to do another read aloud because they want me to read all of them and there are a ton :lol:

These types of threads make me want to buy every book listed! Anyone else??

:iagree:

Another book that I've purchased for my sons library, because we enjoyed it sooo much (and I know we'll reread it again and again over the years) is Rascal by Sterling North. We adored that book....

Three Tales of My Father's Dragon is fabulous. The audio version is not to be missed. I'm shocked nobody on this thread has mentioned it, because I've seen it on several other read-aloud threads.

We've never read this because we have the audio version and have listened to it at least 100 times I'd say (in the car). I absolutely think it's the best audio version of a story I've ever heard. It's so animated and the voices are just perfect. Love.

These types of threads make me want to buy every book listed! Anyone else??

Just read any of the other threads I start. They are ALL about buying books. I have an addiction. And yes, these threads are my absolute favorite.

Think my kids will be educated enough if all we ever do is read great books?! :lol:

:iagree:

Another book that I've purchased for my sons library, because we enjoyed it sooo much (and I know we'll reread it again and again over the years) is Rascal by Sterling North. We adored that book....

They have an old (Disney?) movie that is really cute!

Three Tales of My Father's Dragon is fabulous. The audio version is not to be missed. I'm shocked nobody on this thread has mentioned it, because I've seen it on several other read-aloud threads.

um. you just did mention it, so you can recover from your shock now. :001_smile:

I absolutely think it's the best audio version of a story I've ever heard. It's so animated and the voices are just perfect. Love.

Thanks for this Tammy! We've read the book, but never heard the audio. Just ordered it from the library.

Alley

Thanks for this Tammy! We've read the book, but never heard the audio. Just ordered it from the library.

Alley

The funny thing is because I love these stories so much, I attempted reading it once. But the voices from the cd rang in my head and I just couldn't do it it justice, so I stopped. :tongue_smilie:

When I think of this story, so many things pop in my head, in particular this voice, saying:

"Rosie! Rhoda! Rachel! Ruthie! Ruby! Roberta! Come here and get rid of this flea on my chest. It's driving me crazy!"

We're just finishing up The Magician's Elephant by the Despereaux author Kate DiCamillo.

My boys are nine and have really enjoyed it. I've LOVED it. It's one of those deeper books that touches on really profound life themes. (Life is short, but not in a depressing way. Life is funny. Everyone has a story. Family is the most important thing. Honesty matters. Etc.)

I would hate for you to miss it, but I will say that while there is a happy ending most of the book has a shawdowy feel to it. But there's nothing obviously awful: no kids getting spanked, or ears bopped or anything like that. There's no cruelty.

Common Sense Media says that it's for ages 8 and up, but I know 7 year olds that would love it.

It's definitely a five-star book!

Alley

Guest atswenson

I love many of these mentioned. A few I am not sure I saw listed:

Betsy Tacy books

Dandelion Cottage

Bound for Oregon

Sarah Plain and Tall (short but great)

Caddie Woodlawn

Sarah Noble

Sign of the Beaver

Understood Betsy

Milly-Molly-Mandy

I am sure I will think of more when I hit post. I love threads like this as I have gotten so many great suggestions from them. Thank you!

We are finishing The Kane Chronicles: The Serpent's Shadow at bedtime. My son loves Rick Riordan books. We're listening to the Lord of the Rings trilogy while building the Lego Death Star. And, we're finishing the Inkheart trilogy in the mornings.

Kim

I'm at the stage where we are reading longer chapter books to my ds6 - often the same books I read to his sister years ago.

We're reading Pippi Longstocking now, and it's always been one of my favorites. He loves it also.

We also just started The Marvelous Land of Oz (book 2) and so far, I love it. It's very different from the first!

Rockin' Read Aloud Alert!!!

I just finished reading The Magician's Elephant by Kate Dicamillo -- the same author who wrote Despereaux.

Wonderful, awesome book. It has a bit of a "shadowy," dark feeling but there's nothing really awful in it. No spanking or cruelty.

And it has a very happy ending. (Oops, spoiler alert, but I thought you'd want to know for your kids' sake.)

Really, really good.

Alley

I got a fabulous book yesterday from the library called "The Presidents Stuck in the Bathtub", we like it so much I've added to my amazon cart to buy later.

It's poems about every president including the current one. The poems are short, funny and well written and the illustrations are delightful. My boys are seven and ten and they both love it. :001_smile:

Here's the link: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/054718221X/ref=ox_sc_act_title_3?ie=UTF8&smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER