Menu

I have been hungry!

Been on a vegan-ish diet for 6 months now. I've not lost weight. I think I have actually gained more muffin in my muffinish top.

Went to see the doctor and he told me I was starving my body and that I needed to eat much more than I have been and more often. To "pound it" and for eating to be a "full time job". He said it's virtually impossible to overeat on a healthy (not processed junk vegan food) vegan diet. That's news to me~

I just read this on this board...

"That's because your body goes into starvation mode and tries to conserve energy when calorie intake is dropped that low." That's exactly what he said. He said I was having these periods where my body thought I was starving and conserved it to fat. I have this strange idea that eating too many nuts, avocado, sweet potatoes, rice, whatever is going to make me gain more weight instead of losing it. He said it is a culture fallacy that women have been misled by.

He also said I'm suffering from food fear. A fear of eating certain foods I've determined as "fatty" because they'll make me gain weight. I haven't gained weight but I haven't slimmed down like my dh has either. He eats any and everything under the category vegan. TONS of guac and veggies type eating, two plates of salad, etc. He has lost a good bit. I on the other hand have been eating the same things he has but waaaaay less and haven't lost.

To those of you that eat vegetarian/vegan and are a healthy weight - how much are you eating?

Edited by momee

I have done vegetarian/vegan and I have not been able to lose because of the carb load. I know for other body types this can be different, but I cannot.

My only siggestion is going to be to brave the "why American's are fat thread." ;)

Some people are already mildly insulin resistant and any carbs affect them very strongly.

:grouphug:

I have done vegetarian/vegan and I have not been able to lose because of the carb load. I know for other body types this can be different, but I cannot.

My only siggestion is going to be to brave the "why American's are fat thread." ;)

Some people are already mildly insulin resistant and any carbs affect them very strongly.

:grouphug:

Yes - some bodies don't do well with the carbs - mine sure doesn't. Plus the starvation mode. It can be very very difficult to get enough calories on a vegan diet.

I edited my OP. I hope it's more clear now.

RE: carbs

he told me not to worry about any counting calories, carbs, whatever.

He wants me eating and often and whatever (within the realm of healthy vegan) my body tells me to.

Two plates of salad with nuts. Tofu (within reason - two/three times a week) and that "fatty" avocado is fine. Sweet potatoes, fine, brown rice, fine. PASTA - fine. Etc.

I guess in two weeks when I go back and tell him I feel great compared to how I felt when I first came in, he may change that. For now though, he seems of the mindset that if I'm eating a balanced diet listening to my body eating plenty of healthy foods I will look and feel great.

I'm not exactly concerned about losing weight. I'm concerned about being healthy. Maybe that makes a difference in how he's guiding me.

I'm looking to end stomach pains, digestive issues, menstrual issues and learning to feed a family of 6 this way.

I did Eat to Live for about 4 months. It was great! I Need to get back on it ASAP. :tongue_smilie:

If you're eating a whole foods vegan diet, it is pretty similar--except higher sugar cooked veggies and grains are limited. There is no such thing as a quick lunch when you're eating a big salad. You need to sit and chew for a while, and it will take 30-45 minutes to eat enough.

Eat those nuts and lots of beans. I was even putting them (beans) in smoothies. (Only attempt this is you have a GOOD blender.) Surprisingly, they did not cause much digestive upset.

You may do better on a paleo diet. I think everyone is different. I don't eat much meat and feel great - mostly vegetables, fruit and rice or millet, but for protein I eat eggs & fish.

My dh needs his meat and feels best when he had a steak. :001_smile:

Been on a vegan-ish diet for 6 months now. I've not lost weight. I think I have actually gained more muffin in my muffinish top.

Went to see the doctor and he told me I was starving my body and that I needed to eat much more than I have been and more often. To "pound it" and for eating to be a "full time job". He said it's virtually impossible to overeat on a healthy (not processed junk vegan food) vegan diet. That's news to me~

I just read this on this board...

"That's because your body goes into starvation mode and tries to conserve energy when calorie intake is dropped that low." That's exactly what he said. He said I was having these periods where my body thought I was starving and conserved it to fat. I have this strange idea that eating too many nuts, avocado, sweet potatoes, rice, whatever is going to make me gain more weight instead of losing it. He said it is a culture fallacy that women have been misled by.

He also said I'm suffering from food fear. A fear of eating certain foods I've determined as "fatty" because they'll make me gain weight. I haven't gained weight but I haven't slimmed down like my dh has either. He eats any and everything under the category vegan. TONS of guac and veggies type eating, two plates of salad, etc. He has lost a good bit. I on the other hand have been eating the same things he has but waaaaay less and haven't lost.

To those of you that eat vegetarian/vegan and are a healthy weight - how much are you eating?

How much are you eating. If you are not eating enough calories your body will fight tooth and nail to hold on to its fat.

Too many nuts can lead to weight gain. A few go a long way. But your body does need the good fats in them.

Make sure that if you are eating a vegan diet you are eating a whole foods vegan diet. Macaroni and fake cheese is considered vegan but it will not promote weight loss or health.

I started a modified Eat to Live type diet at Mardi Gras. I still eat eggs/dairy. I've lost 10 pounds since I started. I haven't exercised at all during the summer since I just do not do well in the heat. That has really slowed the loss. On the up side I feel much better.

Typical meals for me:

Breakfast - eggs, toast, cantaloupe

Lunch - Salad with just about every veggie I have in the house and a handful of black beans and feta cheese. Sometimes I'll have a stuffed baked potato, but as I'm not exercising I try to keep the really high carb veggies to a minimum. I have enough salad that I'm not hungry when I'm done nor am I hungry til almost dinner time.

Dinner - just about anything that consists of whole foods. More veggies, portabello mushroom burgers, three bean chili, rice, sweet potatoes, sometimes pasta. I know and recognize every ingredient in every single thing I eat. At some point it came from either a plant or from a cow's udder or a chicken's rear.

Eating until I'm full does mean I'm eating more than the average dieter, but it is 90% veggies (greens, onions, leeks, carrots, beets, cabbage, broccoli, cauliflower, etc.). I do cook with olive oil.

Now see, I read even smoothies weren't great because of all the natural sugar in them.

BEANS??? in smoothies?

:bigear:

You gotta be hardcore. ;) I've done it with white beans only and the blander the better (low sodium plain unseasoned beans). You need a blender that blends very thoroughly. I make a BIG smoothie and can get away with 1/2c if I've been doing it a while. Start with about 1/4 c or less per pint if you try it.

Alternatively you can try peanut butter, milled flax, various vegan protein products etc.

I eat vegan. I've been vegan for about 5 years now and vegetarian (but mostly vegan) for 15. I'm a very healthy weight and I'm very healthy all around.

You definitely need to eat enough calories and yes, you can over eat on a vegan diet. You need to make sure you're eating healthy fats (avocados, nuts, etc) but that you aren't making a meal out of them. I eat about a handful of nuts a day in various ways (either eating them straight, in a smoothie, in pesto, etc).

A vegan diet is a very healthy diet, if done right. Any way of eating can be healthy, if done right. I would suggest that if you're on Facebook to join some vegan support groups. They're great for beginners. There are also a ton of pages/people on Facebook you can follow that post amazing recipes every day.

I can try and help you in any way that I can. Just PM me. :)

I'm looking for how much in a day are you all eating...

"To those of you that eat vegetarian/vegan and are a healthy weight - how much are you eating?"

I'm really curious how MUCH food we are talking about consuming.

I feel like I ate a ton yesterday. The UPside :)))) is that I feel great. That clarity, no tummy problems, no hunger pain feeling he said I should be feeling. The only thing I ate yesterday that wasn't a vegetable or fruit was 1/2 cup almond milk and puffin cereal, a muffin and about 1 cup of Popsters thingies. (Those are strange snacks really, we were on the move when I was hungry and those were fast)

Everything else was fruit and veggies, and some seeds on my salad. Well, I did have chickpeas in the salad and the eggplant/zucchini/tomato ratatouille I made for lunch. But those I can eat a ton of too, right?

So...should it matter how much I ate if it all was fruit/veggies? I guess that's what I'm surprised by. Eat as much fruit/veggies as possible? Seems fairly easy in theory.

I'm looking for how much in a day are you all eating...

"To those of you that eat vegetarian/vegan and are a healthy weight - how much are you eating?"

I'm really curious how MUCH food we are talking about consuming.

I feel like I ate a ton yesterday. The UPside :)))) is that I feel great. That clarity, no tummy problems, no hunger pain feeling he said I should be feeling. The only thing I ate yesterday that wasn't a vegetable or fruit was 1/2 cup almond milk and puffin cereal, a muffin and about 1 cup of Popsters thingies. (Those are strange snacks really, we were on the move when I was hungry and those were fast)

Everything else was fruit and veggies, and some seeds on my salad. Well, I did have chickpeas in the salad and the eggplant/zucchini/tomato ratatouille I made for lunch. But those I can eat a ton of too, right?

So...should it matter how much I ate if it all was fruit/veggies? I guess that's what I'm surprised by. Eat as much fruit/veggies as possible? Seems fairly easy in theory.

Pretty much, yes.

Think about like this. There are roughly 10 calories in 2 cups of organic field greens. In order to get 100 calorie snack of field greens you'd have to eat until you are sick of chewing. Drizzle a little lemon juice on it and still very low calorie. Saute those field greens with a little minced garlic and onion in a tad bit of water and still only a handful of calories added. But it will look more like a side dish since they tend to cook down.

Most veggies are low in calories. It takes a lot to get 1000 calories in a day. Start lowering your grain consumption bit by bit. Eat olives, avocado, and nuts instead. The body needs that good fat to process the fat soluble vitamins.

Keep in mind the more veggies you get in the better your body will be able to do its detox process. You may end up feeling like you've a cold for a week or so once the body starts purging toxins.