Menu

Phonics road vs. The writing road to reading and spelling plus

nknapp5

I just recently read "The Core" and have decided I want to classically educate my kids. I had been previously using the Phonics Road and have been ok with it. Have only used it with one child though. Now I read the book and she recommends The Writing Road to Reading along with Spelling Plus. I'm not familiar with either one of those curriculums. Could someone please tell me if they are comparable? Is there any reason to switch because of my desire to teach classically? Thanks

No reason to switch, imho. Phonics Road is based on the Spalding (WRTR) method. If it is working, keep doing it consistently.

fyi, Spelling Plus consists of the 1000 most common spelling words. I read on this forum that the list is very similar to the Extended Ayres (EA) list used in Spalding, except some modern words may be included which were not in the EA list. Spelling Plus does not teach the phonograms and the spelling rules are different from those used in Spalding.

I can't see why anyone would want to do Spelling Plus in addition to Spalding.

ETA: Also, what is referred to as teaching spelling "classically"? Classical languages (Greek and Latin) are very phonetic. I don't think there was any "spelling instruction" needed then. Students must have learnt to read with a syllabary and then used it for spelling. Spalding, Phonics Road, Spelling Plus, all of these are modern spelling approaches. If any spelling approach can be termed "classical", it would be Webster's Speller.

Edited by nansk

I just recently read "The Core" and have decided I want to classically educate my kids. I had been previously using the Phonics Road and have been ok with it. Have only used it with one child though. Now I read the book and she recommends The Writing Road to Reading along with Spelling Plus. I'm not familiar with either one of those curriculums. Could someone please tell me if they are comparable? Is there any reason to switch because of my desire to teach classically? Thanks

If I recall she suggests WRTR and then later Spelling Plus with Dictation. But she also states that once you understand the teaching methods from both, you can teach spelling from any list of your choosing. But you use the WRTR to teach the phonograms in the early years and then move your children on to mastering the 1000 words listed in Spelling Plus.

ETA, if you are reaching the goals as listed in the book, I really don't see any reason to switch. Use what works! ;)

Edited by jannylynn

ETA: Also, what is referred to as teaching spelling "classically"? Classical languages (Greek and Latin) are very phonetic. I don't think there was any "spelling instruction" needed then. Students must have learnt to read with a syllabary and then used it for spelling. Spalding, Phonics Road, Spelling Plus, all of these are modern spelling approaches. If any spelling approach can be termed "classical", it would be Webster's Speller.

I believe that Leigh Bortins author of The Core, is defining this as a "classical" approach in contrast to more "modern" methods that generally rely on sight and memorization methods or even no spelling instruction at all. To her, classical is defined by teaching the grammar, or basics, of all subjects in the early years.

I believe that Leigh Bortins author of The Core, is defining this as a "classical" approach in contrast to more "modern" methods that generally rely on sight and memorization methods or even no spelling instruction at all. To her, classical is defined by teaching the grammar, or basics, of all subjects in the early years.

Thank you for the clarification. In that context, yes, I would agree. Spalding has been around for decades and it is effective, so it is better than a sight-word/memorization approach.

• 5 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...