Menu

Please talk to me about ODD?

Oppositional defiant disorder. I am really struggling with ds10. He is severe ADHD with extreme impulse control issues, eventhough he has responded beautifully to adderall xr we are still have epic meltdown/fit/screaming matches 3-4 times a week.

During these he will yell and scream at the world over and over again. "I WON'T DO IT!" "I NEVER WILL!!!" "WHHHYYYYY!!!!!" "AAAARRRRGGGHHHHHH!!!!"

He will bang his head against things (not extremely hard, but still disconcerting) and throw himself on the ground and writhe like a snake. :glare:

It only happens when the meds are wearing off, so I am not sure if this is the ADHD or something else. It was worse when he was in PS so the DRs prescribed an evening dose of Adderall, but it almost seemed to make the fits worse.

I don't understand this and I am tired. Just really tired. Help please. :confused:

Oppositional defiant disorder. I am really struggling with ds10. He is severe ADHD with extreme impulse control issues, eventhough he has responded beautifully to adderall xr we are still have epic meltdown/fit/screaming matches 3-4 times a week.

During these he will yell and scream at the world over and over again. "I WON'T DO IT!" "I NEVER WILL!!!" "WHHHYYYYY!!!!!" "AAAARRRRGGGHHHHHH!!!!"

He will bang his head against things (not extremely hard, but still disconcerting) and throw himself on the ground and writhe like a snake. :glare:

It only happens when the meds are wearing off, so I am not sure if this is the ADHD or something else. It was worse when he was in PS so the DRs prescribed an evening dose of Adderall, but it almost seemed to make the fits worse.

I don't understand this and I am tired. Just really tired. Help please. :confused:

His reaction to the meds wearing off is called "rebounding" . Irritability or agitation is most common. ODD would present throughout the day....every day, trust me. :glare:

Since your son has PDD, that probably makes it worse. Do you have the book, The Incredible 5-Point Scale? If you coud talk about the meltdowns and the rebounding of the meds ahead of time, and develop a plan of action in preparation for them, you may be able to help him learn or find a better way of coping through them...eventually. Understanding may make a big difference.I'm sure he's miserable from it too. Also, I've read that Vyvanse has less rebound effects. That may be worth looking into.

http://www.amazon.com/Incredible-Assisting-Understanding-Interactions-Controlling/dp/1931282528/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1342721030&sr=8-1&keywords=the+incredible+5+point+scale

Edited by Geo